Help me pick a Real Estate car

Zx2guy19

Based on my other thread, I'm ready to make the jump...sooner rather than later.

That said, I currently DD a 2013 Ford FX4 that I'm lucky to average 15mpg combined in. I LOVEEE this truck, but no way it works for my future. Payment is $450 which is fine, but I'll need to sell it to by another car.

I plan to sell my BMW (and truck) and get a nice DD and a 5-10k truck that I can use for my rentals. Since I won't be DDing a truck anymore, it doesn't have to be anything fancy. I can handle that end.

I am struggling to find a DD that fits my criteria. Insert CR.

My non negotiable:

2014 or newer

21k or less (if it's 23k and I talk them down to 22k, okay fine).

Something that gets 28-30+ mpg highway

4 doors

AWD

Nice interior, with leather. I am funny about interiors and won't drive something that doesn't have leather (unless it's a work truck). I HATE the feel of fabric on my legs.

Must be black, white or charcoal gray (again, I'm funny about car colors).

Preference:

Turbo (like a 2.0T or something)

Auto (le sigh....)

Here are the things I've found that are close:

Audi A3/A4/A6 (A6 are kind of rare, and slow in a 2.0T)

Lincoln MkZ

Infinity Q50 (Hybrid)

Cadillac ATS (used to have one)

Any others I'm missing that I should take a look at?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing the size of the GTI or A3 will be acceptable.

IMO, even the A4/C/3 class is too small.

I'd be looking at an A6 size. 2.0T, awd, auto, great interiors too.

This. Intake, downpipe and a tune should help with it feeling slow too.

We had an A3...it was tiny. It was fine for my wife and the kid before she was like 8, but then you just realize how small it is...no way I'd have one to cart people around in as a realtor.

Kerry those appear to be much more than 22k unless I’m missing something.

https://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/cto/d/2015-volkswagen-golf-gti-se/6577513617.html

2014-2016 GTI should be under $20k. see above one with leather, DCT, and 22k miles

https://akroncanton.craigslist.org/cto/d/2007-nissan-frontier-crew-cab/6576043196.html

And here is a 115k mile frontier pickup in your range of $5-10k. The best part is that even though it’s a 11 year old truck, the designe hasn’t changed and it looks newer than it is.

If you change your mind about the slush box, you should be able to find manual variants of both in the same range.

If you think the GTi is too small here is a GLI Jetta for the same money with a stick and leather:

https://columbus.craigslist.org/ctd/d/2015-volkswagen-jetta-gli-one/6573351664.html

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. To Bruce's point, this isn't really about hauling clients around, as that's pretty rare now-days.

Geeto is right- I am only looking for 30mpg in my DD, but the truck. Excellent suggestion on that manual Jetta...I REALLY like that. If it wasn't red, I'd probably head over and buy it tonight (remember, black/white/gray only). I'm also really digging that Frontier. I'd prefer to have a longer bed than a bigger back seat since it'll literally only be me ever riding in it, but a great start.

I'm feeling the A6 quite a bit too. It sounds like I can do $1500 or so in mods and make it a whole new car. The downside is, Audi's are expensive to insure (I got a quote on a 2015 A3 and it was $500 more a year than my truck...truck is worth 27 and A3 was worth 20).

Steve/JP: Great suggestions, I'll look into both.

All roads seem to be leading back to the ATS, but I feel like it's a girl I dated for a year and tried to find something better and came back to.

One of my sales reps bought a low miles Avalon Hybrid and has put over 100k miles on it with ZERO Issues and has only really ut tires and brakes on it. He averages 42mpg and if he really pushes it as low as 38mpg.

Rides super smooth, classy looking without the Lexus bling. Bit old-school looking but hey, it's an Avalon and you're now a professional.