It's for sale again

TTQ B4U

Iirc he paid $31k for it

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk

He did, I emailed him but doubt he is going to come off the price seeing as how he is asking even more than what he paid at full retail for

He did, I emailed him but doubt he is going to come off the price seeing as how he is asking even more than what he paid at full retail for

He put in some money for the 35k service and some other misc. things. It’s super clean, has both sets of wheels and tires which are all 100% perfect and it moves-out so I’m sure it will sell for more than what the average S4’s are selling for out there. It should and I can’t blame him. I dumped it quickly to avoid the catalyst issue and got a more than fair deal in return on the new car. If it wasn’t such a pricey fix I would have kept it. Just no real plug and play solutions out there for it right now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

He put in some money for the 35k service and some other misc. things. It’s super clean, has both sets of wheels and tires which are all 100% perfect and it moves-out so I’m sure it will sell for more than what the average S4’s are selling for out there. It should and I can’t blame him. I dumped it quickly to avoid the catalyst issue and got a more than fair deal in return on the new car. If it wasn’t such a pricey fix I would have kept it. Just no real plug and play solutions out there for it right now.

agreed the car is amazing and I like any other buyer cant help he had to pay to maintain the car so that is a null point. Also it was a car the is voided of warranty and has been in a wreck so the mods only help offset that loss in value to a enthusiast.

But he is more than firm on his price and is one of those people who feel it is in more than excellent condition and worth higher than retail value.

Still a great car and would love to own it but just don't see why anyone would pay more than what the could have bought it for full retail from a dealer

I paid 35k for mine - 2015 S4 with 24k miles. Still under factory warranty. The add ins here are great but, as Tim said, there is no reliable fix for the cats unless you go catless. I have not been in one without cats but have to believe it is going to drone as the stock exhaust can drone a bit at certain speeds / rpm.

That being said, 2 sets of wheels and runs low 11s all day? Not a bad deal. I have to admit this one is probably even cleaner than mine.

So this 1800-2000 dollar Cat replacement is why this thing is for sale? So will the replacement fail also, because of the APR flash?

He says he needs a truck, but to your question yes they will fail. The trouble is the cats’ location. They are on the top of the back of the motor and the heat generated by the supercharger cooks them. I read that the dealer quotes 12 hours of labor to swap cats.

agreed the car is amazing and I like any other buyer cant help he had to pay to maintain the car so that is a null point. Also it was a car the is voided of warranty and has been in a wreck so the mods only help offset that loss in value to a enthusiast.

But he is more than firm on his price and is one of those people who feel it is in more than excellent condition and worth higher than retail value.

Still a great car and would love to own it but just don't see why anyone would pay more than what the could have bought it for full retail from a dealer

$1,500 in diminished value hit for the bodywork which BTW is spotless. I am picky and grew up in the car business and this car was fixed to the point that I was happy with it.

Warranty wise, it’s moot really as it’s been in service nearly the full term anyway.

Price wise, you can never raise a price...you know that. Better to start high.

So this 1800-2000 dollar Cat replacement is why this thing is for sale? So will the replacement fail also, because of the APR flash?

Depends on where you go and who does it. The quotes typically are in the $3-4K range including parts and labor.

He’s selling it to buy another Truck. My guess is the Cat thing is what helped push that decision though. He’s been researching it.

Cats on Stock S4s fail too. Not uncommon but usually in teh 40-80k miles range. Being it’s putting out a lot more boost with a dual pulley tuned it failed quicker. I literally started it one day and heard it go way way deeper in tone. Nothing is logged in the exhaust so it’s literally gutting itself. Some do that and never have issues. Others throw codes.

He says he needs a truck, but to your question yes they will fail. The trouble is the cats’ location. They are on the top of the back of the motor and the heat generated by the supercharger cooks them. I read that the dealer quotes 12 hours of labor to swap cats.

I regret not getting a pic of them glowing orange after some spirited driving.

I regret not getting a pic of them glowing orange after some spirited driving.

I know it's never cheap, but isn't there an aftermarket solution? I know in the G8 world Solo high flow cats were available and popular.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I know it's never cheap, but isn't there an aftermarket solution? I know in the G8 world Solo high flow cats were available and popular.

None of the High Flow cats I’ve seen being used have lasted. The only solution I’ve seen online, not in person, are test pipes or gutted cats and various mufflers and resonators in place but no one fool-proof and great sounding set up has been marketed or shown.

Some try and relocated cats further down stream but they aren’t passing emissions so why bother.

All in all, the time involved and costs involved are what is making it tough. That said, there are solutions but again, it would peace-meal and unproven.

Expensive platform to work on.

True - but how much did you have in yours running consistent 11.2s?

Went Dual Pulley last spring. Ran 11.3-11.5 @118-120mph at Edgewater in Cinci. last fall. My guess is it was the 20+ passes there that caused it. She was running strong and I'm sure it didn't do those cats any good :o Loe on the AZ Board also thinks it was coolant from the leaky heat exchanger that amped up the failure as it's common to see the cats fail after the heat exchangers.

Based in my admittedly shallow knowledge pool on these - they are pretty cheap to get into the 11s....expensive to get into the 10s.

Delete the cats, put on the Ultracharger intake and run race gas. If I could live with the the rasp perhaps I would have kept it. I don't think I would have barely tolerated it. Not to mention I'd have to have put the money in it and thus kept it longer than I really wanted. It's an awesome car but I wanted some of the updated features newer vehicles offer that just weren't available on the B8.5 platform.