Fun, DD-able cars for $12k or less

Geeesammy

I'm looking to downsize from the current fleet of 4 I have now down to 2 at most.

Fun is defined by me as being able to at least enjoy getting on it, and being able to autocross and hpde it once or twice a year between both events.

Ideally want rwd and something that will need minimal mods and has decent reliability. I would prefer rwd, stick shift and something that isn't 25+ years old and it can't be dogshit slow. Only firm stipulation is I have to fit without gutting it or doing irreversible mods, I'm 6'5"ish so yeah.

Current ideas

LS1 Fbody (last car I owned that I had fun with, cheap to mod, I can fit). Not the best for autocross, but I know I'll enjoy the shit out of it and V8 noise.

Base C5, always wanted one, may be a tight fit, can try to get aftermarket drivers seat to make more room. Best all around bang for the buck, plus v8 noise.

135i, may be a stretch for the money, likely will need work or be in rougher shape with some miles. Con-no cheap lsd

A4 quattro with a 2.0. Dont know much about audis, I know they can make decent power with a tune, a4's seem roomy too.

Gti- won't get an lsd with any car in my budget, this will basically eliminate my desire to own one because FWD, but ssh 2.0's are zippy.

E36 M3, again, another stretch for the money. Always interested me, not a fan of their exhaust tone even though I love L6. The balance offered by them is tempting though.

E36 330 or 328? sedan. I've driven a few and they run well and handle good. May get bored with the power though.

350z, tighter fit, but they are everywhere and handle good. Con is trans issues within my budget

I'm looking to not get something I'll turn into a massive build, I debated a GS300 to aristo swap with upgraded twins but the more I think about it that just gets expensive and I'll dislike it when it's done because auto.

Open to any ideas.

Not a big fan of them, but ive only driven autos, Open to the possibility though, but I've never even checked the pricing on them

You can get n54 engine ones for the price range you are looking at for sure, probably with some kids also. With basic bolt ons and a flash they can make 400

Top 2 on your list without question. For the small amount of autocross or track time you’re planning that’s effectively a non issue because you’ll have fun in anything you get.

Rwd manual v8 for sure, focus on fun with fitting, good brakes, tires and suspension and let the v8 do the rest.

Grant, keep it simple from an engineering standpoint:

Two-Doors:

1) C5 or F-Body (LS engine)

2) New-Edge Mustang (Great RWD platform with a huge aftermarket)

3) 350Z (VQ engine rocks)

I would also consider a G35/G37 coupe or sedan, but sticks will be rare and pricey. From my experience driving both stick and automatic 350Z's I have to say that is one chassis that really doesn't lose much in the automatic over the stick. (shocking, I know)

I would hate to see what condition a 12,000 coyote car is in , they are still pulling close to 20k in good shape with decent miles

I've seen high mile ones or ones that have a "story" close to that range, "rebuilt" title ones are even cheaper:

https://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/cto/d/2011-mustang-gt-wrapped/6682877742.html

https://lexington.craigslist.org/cto/d/2011-mustang-gt-50-auto-87k/6670407846.html

https://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/cto/d/2011-ford-mustang-gt-coupe-2d/6661620505.html

honestly in this day and age of laser frame straighteners and 200K+ mile drive-trains are you going to be worried that much about a rebuilt title or 130K miles? The only thing I would be worried about is that a $12-15K mustang today is a less than $5K mustang 5 years from now because of mileage and title issues.

2) New-Edge Mustang (Great RWD platform with a huge aftermarket)

Heck, you could probably find a great Coyote S197 for that budget (2011-2014).

Why not both?

18402939_10102892472633842_2564406290951358547_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=779e98168f82c99392c1c15503302de9&oe=5C297974

Fun is defined by me as being able to at least enjoy getting on it, and being able to autocross and hpde it once or twice a year between both events.

As much as I enjoy my car, the SN95 chassis really isn't worth it unless its an 03/04 cobra. I'm still chasing my tail on this thing trying to iron out a lot of the platform issues. I would suggest saving up for the S197 coyote if mustang is your goal, its just a better platform.

I would agree on others with C5. Its just a good starting platform, its the american miata.

How about a 2011-13 Buick Regal GS? They handle pretty well, are AWD 270hp. 4 doors and a usable backseat/trunk

A surprisingly big market for mods for the 2.0t.

You would fit comfortably it would be a nice little sleeper.

AWD was 2014+ and only available in an automatic. All the sticks were FWD

How about a 2011-13 Buick Regal GS? They handle pretty well, are AWD 270hp. 4 doors and a usable backseat/trunk

A surprisingly big market for mods for the 2.0t.

You would fit comfortably it would be a nice little sleeper.

They wont work for me or I'd own one. The back seat is useless with me in it.

If its a sedan it has to be a usable sedan, otherwise it defeats the purpose