New alternator or no?

Radio Flyer1647545514

06 Toyota Tundra 4.7l v8 sr5

I haven't tested the battery but I have a 2 yr old deep cycle in it with a 5 yr warranty. I know this doesn't rule out the battery but it's rather unlikely it's the cause in my opinion.

I was driving home in light traffic and I noticed my battery light had come on. Got out of the stop light and it went away. It was indicating I had around 11.2 volts.

Got home, sat in the driveway for a little and it was maintaining around 11.2 to 11.7 volts and the battery indicator was popping on and off every minute or two.

Turned off the engine, checked my battery terminals and noticed some corrosion so I just blew on it and most of the residue is gone now.

Started the engine back up and now my voltage is reading normalat 13.7ish volts.

I was told even though it went back to normal the alternator could still be bad so my buddy recommended getting one ordered and we could test everything when we went to replace it and I can just return the alternator if it's not needed.

Does this sound correct?

If you have another vehicle to drive, just pull the alt now and get it tested for free. Hell take the battery too and get that tested.

I unfortunately don't have another vehicle to drive. I'll be playing the game all day tomorrow going to work and then going to pick up the part from my Toyota parts contact

If you are able to take drive it to any auto store they can check the alternator and battery while it’s still in the vehicle. They can check the battery and put a load in the system and check the alternator output with and without loads to make sure everything is operating as it should

Tested at 13.6 volts.at AutoZone. They said it was the corrosion most likely.

My buddy is telling me the fact that it got down to 11.x volts and triggered the light in the first place is a good sign I should probably replace it anyways. It is a Chinese alternator from the previous owner and I've been driving for 2.5 years and 52k miles

There is a place near downtown that can rebuild the alternator if you didn't mind waiting for a few hours. It was cheaper to rebuild and upgrade the alternator for an '85 Corvette.

I would go this route but the one that was replaced by the previous owner isn't rebuildable from what I was told.

Woke up this morning and the battery indicator popped on again. I'll probably Uber to go pick up an OEM one if my contact at Toyota can get one in today.

I had that start happening on my FJ. However it was accompanied by a howling pulley thanks to a muddy / wet offroading trip. Probably what killed it.

It would hit 11.5V quite a bit for a few days (on a Ultragauge)....never threw the vehicles dash light. Then one day it just shit the bed and was reading out at like 9V.

New alternator and shes back to 14.1 all the time.

Must be that time of year. Even 2018's have issues. Taking my car in for service due to what could be the alternator or some type of parasitic drain as the batt. went dead in 1 day out of the blue.

Good luck on resolving yours.

Must be that time of year. .

It must be....my truck just died out of nowhere two days ago. Threw it on a trickle charger overnight, fired right up....then died again next day. Put a new battery in last night and good to go now. Old battery doesn't owe me anything though....original OEM from a 2012 F150 with 61k miles now.

Radio, I would recommend taking your terminals off and actually cleaning them with a wire brush as that will get 99% of the corrosion off vs blowing on it which just gets the loose surface stuff. There is a specific battery terminal wire brush tool you can get for about $4 bucks at any auto store. Even if the issue is the alt on your car, just that you saw some corrosion means it could use a good cleaning likely. Just a thought.