Road force balancing

Miller

Discount Tire came through. Charged me $40 and found all four wheels took weights (despite being static balanced by someone I know and trust). The staff at the Lewis Center location are great guys who genuinely like cars.

Viper's riding smooth as glass.

Cliff notes: Viper techs wanting $250 LOL to balance tires.

Good to hear they fixed you up. Im here now getting mine done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Well I'm glad to hear you got it taken care of, and someone actually knew what they were doing! Sorry we couldn't get you in quicker than Monday, as the leaves start changing Build/Rebuild season has us crazy right now.

On a side note, if you need my professional opinion on the balance of the tires feel free to swing it by and I'll warm them up just to check ;)

That's ok I was trying to make a couple hour hike to an event Sunday, hence my haste. I'm normally not so impatient. If I'm out that way :cool:

-Tim good to hear. Hope yours went as well as mine!

That's ok I was trying to make a couple hour hike to an event Sunday, hence my haste. I'm normally not so impatient. If I'm out that way :cool:

-Tim good to hear. Hope yours went as well as mine!

I went back yesterday and they road forced balanced them finding 3 were good one needed to be rotated on the rim and now they are all within solid specs and smooth. However, the noise/shimmy still exists so I am having them bring in two new tires and we'll start by replacing one of them on the rear of the car as I suspect it's the passenger rear tire.

The noise/sound I'm hearing indicates to me it's a tire and it became noticable after the rotation putting it on the back vs front. The car has completely electric steering so when it's on the front I don't notice it. I watch the sun visor shimmy and hear the sound. Now that it's on the back I can feel it in my butt and on the headrest of the passenger seat.

PIA for sure but welcome to Ohio roads

Edited by TTQ B4U

Quick follow up and shout out to John, Steve and Adam at the Discount Tire on 23N / Lewis Center.

Took my car in for what was either and out of balance situation or a bad tire due to a minor pot-hole I grazed a while back. I absolutely believed in their skills road forcing it and all the tires came in spot-on.

That said, I still heard and audible noise from one of the tires and they confirmed that it wouldn't always be detected on the balancer. I started by replacing what we believed was the tire but no-go. Replaced the second one and apparently that was it.

Tires did not come from them but I agreed to buy the warranty and lifetime balance for what was a more than fair price. In return, they exercised that warranty upon my next visit. Props!

Rolling smooth again.

Edited by TTQ B4U

Quick follow up and shout out to John, Steve and Adam at the Discount Tire on 23N / Lewis Center.

Took my car in for what was either and out of balance situation or a bad tire due to a minor pot-hole I grazed a while back. I absolutely believed in their skills road forcing it and all the tires came in spot-on.

That said, I still heard and audible noise from one of the tires and they confirmed that it wouldn't always be detected on the balancer. I started by replacing what we believed was the tire but no-go. Replaced the second one and apparently that was it.

Tires did not come from them but I agreed to buy the warranty and lifetime balance for what was a more than fair price. In return, they exercised that warranty upon my next visit. Props!

Rolling smooth again.

Sweet Tim. That staff is pretty solid. Harder and harder to find good service shops.

• 1 month later...

Appreciate the post. Friend of mine was installing his Tacoma tires on some new wheels (same diameter, more aggressive offset and width) and I recommended Mr. Tire on Reed Road. They are great guys who have treated me well in the past with multiple vehicles.

Got a text from him last night saying that Mr. Tire recommended almost 5oz of weights per wheel. I said that sounds very excessive. He confirmed this morning that Mr. Tire "doesn't work much on trucks" and suggested I balance them somewhere else. :confused: Gave him a 25% discount for mounting but not balancing.

I referred him to Lewis Center Discount Tire. :thumbup:

Harder and harder to find good service shops.

This is important in that, most of us on CR know what we want or need done. I feel for the 95% (and climbing) of sheeple who can't turn a wrench or are completely ignorant of mechanics. Can't tell you how many calls/texts/conversations I have every week from family friends who need car advice....

Unfortunately the trend of having fewer and fewer trustworthy shops that can get a car fixed right without bending you over the hood will continue. Not only are vehicles getting more and more complicated/difficult to work on with specialty tools and software but you are having fewer and fewer younger people entering the automotive work force. Finding someone WE can trust to work on our customers cars that's under the age of 45 is TOUGH!

Appreciate the post. Friend of mine was installing his Tacoma tires on some new wheels (same diameter, more aggressive offset and width) and I recommended Mr. Tire on Reed Road. They are great guys who have treated me well in the past with multiple vehicles.

Got a text from him last night saying that Mr. Tire recommended almost 5oz of weights per wheel. I said that sounds very excessive. He confirmed this morning that Mr. Tire "doesn't work much on trucks" and suggested I balance them somewhere else. :confused: Gave him a 25% discount for mounting but not balancing.

I referred him to Lewis Center Discount Tire. :thumbup:

This is important in that, most of us on CR know what we want or need done. I feel for the 95% (and climbing) of sheeple who can't turn a wrench or are completely ignorant of mechanics. Can't tell you how many calls/texts/conversations I have every week from family friends who need car advice....

5oz isn't really that bad for truck tires.

5oz is a lot but not unheard of. assuming they got the tire orientated on the wheel correctly, might just be a bad wheel/tire combo

prob drive just fine

Depends on the tires, in most cases anything over 3oz should throw up red flags. So unless the wheels are bent, or the tires are cheaper big truck tires, there’s probably something wrong and will never ride correctly regardless of balance.

There are so many things that can keep you from having quality rolling stock, despite the obvious in quality wheels and tires, just setting up the machine correctly can make all the difference. Sad thing is techs who typically do tires aren’t usually very experienced or trained.

Depends on the tires, in most cases anything over 3oz should throw up red flags. So unless the wheels are bent, or the tires are cheaper big truck tires, there’s probably something wrong and will never ride correctly regardless of balance.

There are so many things that can keep you from having quality rolling stock, despite the obvious in quality wheels and tires, just setting up the machine correctly can make all the difference. Sad thing is techs who typically do tires aren’t usually very experienced or trained.

You also have to have someone willing to possibly break a tire back down and spin it, provided the shop has the equipment needed to visualize the issue. Many wheels and tires need to be "spun" slightly or even up to 180 degrees to get the best possible weight offset.

Usually a step skipped in TireMounting101