DIY window tint?

zeitgeist57

My FiL just tinted his new Model 3, and it looked sick. I realized that, in driving my tinted BMW and CTS-V, my cheap-o Silverado needs some lovin'!

With a regular cab that has 3 flat, big, easily accessible windows, has anyone ever gotten good-quality rolls of tint film, a spray bottle, razor, and squeegee...and just gone to town on their vehicle? If I had a curved rear glass with defrost, or a whole bunch of odd angles/curves, I'd definitely let the pros do it. But to save a buck, I feel like this could be the time.

Looking for experience/recommendations. Thanks!

I wrestled with this for a while. Yeah, I definitely think you can do it. If you haven't messed with tint before, try it with cheap tint the first time so you don't ruin the expensive stuff if you mess up. Trucks like ours are really simple, but after going back and forth about it I eventually just said F it and paid a shop to do it.

Talk to Buck, he did this exact same process on the Fiero. He can probably shed some light on the DIY process for you.

Yes I did the Fiero. It sucks and looks horrible. I paid I think around $50 for the tint (3 rollls, fucked one up, so two did the whole car).

It looks like shit and I'll be paying someone to do it in the spring or some other time.

Just look up DIY window tinting. They make it look a lot easier than what it is.

DONT get the static cling kind...even though its super easy and looks ok. I did my car back in high school with that stuff and they dont roll down when its hot out because it gets soft and its hard to roll down a window covered in rubber against a rubber seal lol

I wish tint was not so damn expensive to do, I was quoted over $500 to do my bmw with ceramic tint and said screw that noise

Holy shit, where? I had my crew cab F150 done at a shop here and it was $229.

Holy shit, where? I had my crew cab F150 done at a shop here and it was $229.

With ceramic tint? If so please lmk where

The good tint almost doubled the price but I don’t want to put cheap crap on there to turn purple and bubble up months later

It may be a bit of a hike for you, but Buckeye Sun Control up in Marion is where I have always gone. Tint is good quality and price is decent. Last car that was there was my buddy's integra and it was only $120-$150 for the whole car. I have messed with it in the past, and like others have mentioned by the time you factor in your expense and time its breaking even.

With ceramic tint? If so please lmk where

The good tint almost doubled the price but I don’t want to put cheap crap on there to turn purple and bubble up months later

Yea, ceramic. But it's a place here in Pittsburgh. You prolly don't want to drive for that.

I wish tint was not so damn expensive to do, I was quoted over $500 to do my bmw with ceramic tint and said screw that noise

Talk to Tim or Kevin over at Dublin's Performance Auto Spa. No, not cheap but they did a great job with Pinnacle's Ceramic on my Audi and now on my Q50. Top of the line stuff and turned out perfect. Really helps cut out the heat. They are right around the corner from Lucore.

I got our bimmer(535) done for around $350 at Pickup Trucks Plus over in Lewis Center. Yes, it has the ceramic tint. They also tinted my Duramax and it was less(I think metallic tint was used).

I got our bimmer(535) done for around $350 at Pickup Trucks Plus over in Lewis Center. Yes, it has the ceramic tint. They also tinted my Duramax and it was less(I think metallic tint was used).

I might give them a ring and see.. I also don’t know if mine was even more because it’s a wagon

You can get precut tint kits from ebay exactly for your car, takes out the hardest part.

After that it's just removing the inside trim on windows that roll down so you can get the tint below the seal.

The rear window is the hard part if it is heavily curved. That's why I didn't even attempt the mustang myself.

I tried to do my buddy's Grand Am back in college. We spent about 3 hours before we said the hell with this. Never again.

I got the ST done at Professional Eclipse about four years ago. $209 for mid-grade tint and he lifetime warranties his work. He's also got a collection of cars you can check out while you're waiting. Haven't had any noticeable issues since I've had it done. It's so cheap compared to the time spend doing it yourself.