Car goals in 2019 (New Year's Wrencholutions)

zeitgeist57

Don't think I've posted here but my Miata blew its 3rd motor at VIR in October so I bought a K24 out of frustration, still need to finish that install.

I'm getting a new garage sometime in the spring, so that's exciting. My current garage is 90 years old and looks it's age. New garage will still be a 2 car but will be much bigger so I can actually get two cars in there.

At that same VIR event my Chumpcar team finally got our (now properly caged) E36 to stretch its legs, we're targeting only 1 race next year to keep costs down, Pitt Race in October. Because of that I'm keeping travel to a minimum, I'll do all the Monday Mid-Ohio events with auto interests and I might do one NASA event there as well, but no Nelson Ledges or anything else for me.

All in all a pretty big year for car stuff I guess.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bought a new car last month so plan to get suspension, wheels, tires and exhaust done this winter and put some miles on it next year. Would be up for a cruise and may try a road course event. It’s been too long since I’ve had a fun car.

Clay, for real? When we going flying? I'm the cheapest instructor you'll find...only problem is I'm only in Columbus a couple times a year

Jono, have you tried calling me? I have a missed phone call from Enid, OK yesterday...

I've got 59.9 hours...I needed to do my solo cross-country, verbal exam and written exam. Because it's been a few years (2015) since I've last flown I'll have to definitely do a few hours of day/night flying to get caught up as well. My old CFI is ready to go again with me after holidays.

Would love to connect when you're back in town! :)

I've got 59.9 hours...I needed to do my solo cross-country, verbal exam and written exam. Because it's been a few years (2015) since I've last flown I'll have to definitely do a few hours of day/night flying to get caught up as well. My old CFI is ready to go again with me after holidays.

Don't wait on this man, get on the stick (pun intended) and get to that point where you can fly on your own.

I had 35 hours when I ran out of money doing it in college. I still regret not getting my license.

Jono, have you tried calling me? I have a missed phone call from Enid, OK yesterday...

Would love to connect when you're back in town! :)

Wasn't me, thats creepy though haha. Ive had to change phones a few times, I dont think I even have your number anymore.

Recency is vital, you need to get flying! Where were you flying out of? One of these days I want to get a tailwheel endorsement, but finding time for the GA flying is tough

Jono

I'm going to try to thin the herd a little. Trying to buy a property with garages for a dozen cars is impractical on the budget I have. Besides, keeping them all clean and serviced becomes almost a part-time job for an old man.

I'm still planning track days, select car shows, CC&C, and of course the Rally North America events. Mexico isn't out of the question (I'm not dead yet). :p

Get the Formula Ford out at least once and do a shake down day + fingers crossed the CR track day has autox again as that was super fun.

MR2 is getting headers and rear brakes, plus continuing to work on the Gen4 turbo swap on the engine stand. One of these days I'll get around to swapping the car.

RX7 is accumulating parts for a LS swap

Golf R is getting Koni yellows

Tundra may need a frame, and the transfer case looked at.

White Legacy wagon will continue to accumulate parts for battle wagon 2.0 build.

In general, I want to get to more RallyX and AutoX events this year. Last year SUCKED with only 3 events total. Definitely 1 RallyX events per month with AUtoX events squeezed in where I can. I specifically want to get to an event at Dragway 42.

This year is also the year that I'm going to take 1st at the SCCA RallyCross National Championship. Last year I had the times to be first, except for a mechanical issue. I need to bring it together and take the top spot.

BRZ:

There's a lot I want to do to it, but I need to resist the urge unless it's something cheap and easy. The Evo needs more attention.

Evo:

I need to do something about the clutches. They need replacement/upgraded, and I really should have the transmission overhauled when I do. It's going to be tough finding the money and time.

I also will be giving the HotBits rally coilovers another chance. Finally got them rebuilt, so hopefully they hold together longer than 3 runs. If they don't, I'll have to figure something else out.

There were other things I need to do to the Evo, but the clutches are now a priority so they'll have to wait until that gets done first.

Finish the cage for the Poor-Vette kart and hopefully not only do some AutoX but make it back to Mid-Ohio.

Maybe I can actually get the Camaro restoration underway and start replacing body panels. However unlikely I'm still optomistic....

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Finish the cage for the Poor-Vette kart and hopefully not only do some AutoX but make it back to Mid-Ohio.

Maybe I can actually get the Camaro restoration underway and start replacing body panels. However unlikely I'm still optomistic....

did you end up selling the vr4?

did you end up selling the vr4?
The GGSX? Yep, sold her a few months ago. All DSM's are gone, sold both Jeeps, TDI is for sale. Vette and Camaro stay, trucks cummins needs swapped into something else or at some point at least. Looking for an 06/07 Forester or Outback XT apparently the wrong season to do so....

In general, I want to get to more RallyX and AutoX events this year. Last year SUCKED with only 3 events total. Definitely 1 RallyX events per month with AUtoX events squeezed in where I can. I specifically want to get to an event at Dragway 42.

This year is also the year that I'm going to take 1st at the SCCA RallyCross National Championship. Last year I had the times to be first, except for a mechanical issue. I need to bring it together and take the top spot.

BRZ:

There's a lot I want to do to it, but I need to resist the urge unless it's something cheap and easy. The Evo needs more attention.

Evo:

I need to do something about the clutches. They need replacement/upgraded, and I really should have the transmission overhauled when I do. It's going to be tough finding the money and time.

I also will be giving the HotBits rally coilovers another chance. Finally got them rebuilt, so hopefully they Holden Subs together longer than 3 runs. If they don't, I'll have to figure something else out.

There were other things I need to do to the Evo, but the clutches are now a priority so they'll have to wait until that gets done first.

What’s happened to the Subarus? Is the Evo better than the Subaru?

What’s happened to the Subarus? Is the Evo better than the Subaru?

The RallyX Subaru was a BEAST. I took it to 2nd last year, and the guy who bought it took 2nd this year. I felt, however, that to compete with the Evos, I really needed the right conditions. I had been racing Subarus for 9 years and wanted to try something new to see if I could take a step further. But I also didn't want to just get the same thing that had been beating me at Nationals (Evo 9). I've always liked the Evo X. But even with it's trick AWD system, the X had never done well at national level RallyX competitions, so I took that as a challenge.

7 of the 10 runs at nationals I had the fastest time of the run group. I overcooked the launch control on one run which cost me at least 5 seconds. At the end of the event I was 3rd; only 4 seconds from 1st. If I don't use launch control and manage the transmission heat better, a championship should be well within my grasp.

The X requires that you drive it a certain way. If you don't, it's just another heavy AWD car, and the STI I had will take it all day long. But if you do drive it in a way that lets it use it's whole bag of tricks, it is a stunning car. I half wish I had picked one up earlier, but half don't, as learning on the Subaru AWD system taught me stuff that I'd never have learned on the X.

For my '86 GT:

Finally fix the broken passenger seat. Needs something welded, I just haven't taken the time to find someone that can do it. Possible have the hood painted. It had some sap drip on it last year and some of the paint is peeling off. I'm debating if I should just have that painted or maybe even plasti-dip it since it's supposed to be black anyway. Other than that, I got a lot of the work done this past year to get it back on the road and driveable.

For my '03 Cobra:

I've got some sort of clutch cable / throw out bearing noise that started late summer. I believe it's just a stretched our clutch cable, so hopefully that will be a quick fix. Other than that, it's tip top! :D

For my '08 G8 GT:

I've got a squeaky belt / pulley thing going on. Started right before I put it away for the winter. More of an annoyance than anything.

So yeah, I don't have a lot of car goals for 2019, just mostly keep my shit running and fun. :lol:

However, my 7 year old is big into cars now and wants to go to the drag strip. So I might take one of them. Either the G8 or the '86, probably. Something he can maybe ride along in. :)

2019 is going to be more than mildly insane for me. The short version..

'70 LeMans will be finishing off the motor and dyno running next week, machining and parts ordering is all finally done. Get that car back together in January then new wiring, disc brakes, new suspension. That car I'll be driving to Powertour 2019 as well as my street fighter/drag days car.

'71 LeMans pull motor again to fix two small stupid issues, repairing small rust issue on drivers side rocker before cancer spreads. Also fixing small windshield leak issue.

'68 LeMans all suspension work has been done, need to get the big disc brake conversion ordered as soon as the '70 is in running order. Block machining is done, rotating assembly is on its way for the low compression setup. Trying to drag this build out as long as I can as the heads/procharger cost is going to be a tad painful. Chassis will be completed by end of 2019 for racing in 2020.

'73 Charger... full stroker engine build, block is currently getting machined, heads are already done and ready to go. Street build with nothing super crazy, will have nitrous pistons for a planned 150 shot. Fuel injection and transmission mods already sitting at the shop ready to go. This car will also be making the Powertour in 2019.

'92 Stealth TT intercooler upgrade finally being done, new suspension and wheels/tires are FINALLY going to be done. After the last season of AutoX / Mid Ohio there's no more putting that off, so spring time comes and she'll finally be getting some loving. Going to leave the power level alone on that thing, as long as the motor holds together I'm kicking that extremely expensive can down the road.

'92 Stealth RT finish off belts/pulleys and suspension all of which are at the shop and tag it in for daily driver duties. NA version of my TT so I can enjoy it without wanting to race every boy racer I line up with at a stop light.

'91 Stealth TT finally repair the rear power steering setup on it, wheels to Wheel Medic to get refinished then new tires to get it rolling. Leaving this damn thing bone stock and original!

'02 SE-R Spec V new transmission just came in next week to bolt up to the engine I've had sitting on a stand for... 14 months. Drop engine and trans in the thing and drive it, try not to ponder how much money I have spent rebuilding a $3000 car.

'64 Volvo 122s finally get the time to pull it in rebuild the carbs and exhaust, replace the 25 year old tires and drive it!

'99 Forester SELL IT!

'86 Mustang just replaced the fuel pump and fixed a boost leak, get the final dyno tuning done and enjoy it as a track rat AutoX whatever beater.

Try not to look my accountant in the eyes