Car goals in 2019 (New Year's Wrencholutions)

zeitgeist57

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm definitely getting a shop this year. I'm not sure what exactly that will mean, but I have a list of minimum requirements that are to be met while house shopping. If we build, it's happening at the same time, none of this "I'll build a shop when the house stuff is done" crap that never happens.

My small two car is packed to the brim with tools/equipment and no cars in it.

Second will be continuing the plan to buy/build an autocross f100. Timeframe will basically depend on when the house purchase happens.

After I couldn't find a truck that I wanted, I made a deal with the wife to invest the money in the current house and get a 25% return when we sell. Truck money will be $15kish.

When I get a new daily, 4runner will finally see some more serious off-road and sort out the weak points.

Busy year!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

C10

-Truetrac and 3.73's

-Holley HyperSpark for my Sniper

BRZ

-Replacing Wilwoods with AP Racing front BBK

-More AutoX

-More Nelson Ledges track days

More cars & coffee and Id like to get over to Dayton.

nelson ledges LOL

cum to mid ohio with us

inb4 cum to gingerman/laguna/dubai with us

Yeah, Derek, why do you do Nelson over mid Ohio?

Do mid Ohio with us...

Welfare Vette- If I still have it after Tax time. Pimp it. Spend 0$ doing it.

BMW just turned 150k. Either Sell and find a newer DD or commit to trying for 200k. Its still the best fast DD I have ever owned. Total maintenance going on 4 years/50k of ownership is a set of brake pads, oil changes and a battery. If I keep It I think I want to flush the trans/T case/rear/brake and coolant. Pads and rotors-possible water pump and a preventative measure.

HoboEvo. 165mph 1/4. 200mph 1/2. 9.5 ET. In that order.

1. Get the dragster out more, 8.49 is my best quarter, I want bottom of the 8's

2. Get the Camaro back on the street. I miss having a fun street car

3. Get the Harley out some more, maybe Tail of the Dragon or one of the other options mentioned above.

Either way I'm done with schooling for a while, so it's time to have some fun this summer.

Not car related, but last summer I popped my 1000 yard cherry. This summer I want to hit a target at a mile.

I’ve committed to scaling back the efforts with the FD to commit to a full season of Karting with the family.

The FD needs turbo gaskets, battery relocation and intercooler done. Not sure what else may get done or not. Likely only see a couple Mid Ohio events this year.

Karting will mean a newer used chassis for me, upgraded parts for the kiddo (motor build, low weight axle, low weight brakes). New tools for better support, and likely somewhere in the 10-12 race weekend range on top of periodic practice etc. should be quite busy. Already started learning about how to maintain build KT100s and Comer rebuilds for the kid.

My wife and I both have dailies that are getting old and high miles. Hers needs replaced first, but the initial plan is to try to keep them truckin as long as possible.

Yeah, Derek, why do you do Nelson over mid Ohio?

Do mid Ohio with us...

I wish I had a good answer. I just DON'T like Mid Ohio.

I just don't have fun driving the track. I don't have a good reason why.

And...everytime I've gone in the past 3-4 years the weather is crap.

Im not saying I won't go with you guys but I'd much rather spend less money and have more fun @ Nelson. Ill take the the extra money and to go to Pitt once a year as well. :cool:

My car goals are garage goals. Plans are to finish the floor and work on a complete re-vamp of storage. The storage and layout I have is very do-able and works but it needs to be stepped up. Goal #1 for 2019 is the floor.

In terms of vehicles, the two we have are interim ones. My next car is on my mind and I waffle a lot. Could be an SUV as I'm really interested in seeing the new Lincoln Aviator but it may end up being what I should have pulled the trigger on this time but didn't, a larger sedan. Something along the lines of a 550i M-Sport or like.

First world problems either way.

Saabaru: Probably going to sell in favor of a reliable daily. Going to walk away from Subaru in general for a while probably.

Porsche: Either sell to get something to race or get it running enough to race. I'm tired of missing AutoX and track day events.

I’ve committed to scaling back the efforts with the FD to commit to a full season of Karting with the family.

The FD needs turbo gaskets, battery relocation and intercooler done. Not sure what else may get done or not. Likely only see a couple Mid Ohio events this year.

Karting will mean a newer used chassis for me, upgraded parts for the kiddo (motor build, low weight axle, low weight brakes). New tools for better support, and likely somewhere in the 10-12 race weekend range on top of periodic practice etc. should be quite busy. Already started learning about how to maintain build KT100s and Comer rebuilds for the kid.

My wife and I both have dailies that are getting old and high miles. Hers needs replaced first, but the initial plan is to try to keep them truckin as long as possible.

Pretty much same plan.

GT3 will get brakes, tires and fluids to do a handful of events but will be scaled back to make a serious effort at Karting this year.

Turbo might actually get the stage 3 mods installed that I've had sitting there for 2 years, the car is already soo brutally fast it's not really been a priority.

Karting was an eye opener and really fed a desire to do wheel to wheel racing but we got in on the low end of the cost scale to see if it would really stick at first and I'm going to remedy that this season. I am determined to not have any excuses, if I get beat this year it's not going to be because I'm over weight or diving a 12 year old kart chassis that's all used up.

Picked up a 2018 Tony Kart 401s, Chris and I have done all the homework on getting the motors up and running the best they can and one of the top builders in the US will be doing our machine work and we will do final assembly and maintenance. I'm down almost 20 lbs in body weight already and intend on getting another 10-15 lbs of weight off of my fat ass before the season starts.

32403458948_3da27b267d_c.jpg

45551703984_23b61d122b_c.jpg

With this house buying thing going on...

1. Keep wife's car running. Will need new wheels / tires come summer so thats fun.

2. Keep enjoying the FJ. Offroad without breaking shit.

Would love the opportunity to pick up a beater for next winter. Some junk I can row gears in. We will see!

I wish I had a good answer. I just DON'T like Mid Ohio.

I just don't have fun driving the track. I don't have a good reason why.

And...everytime I've gone in the past 3-4 years the weather is crap.

Im not saying I won't go with you guys but I'd much rather spend less money and have more fun @ Nelson. Ill take the the extra money and to go to Pitt once a year as well. :cool:

Funny because I have the opposite view. Wasn't a fan of Nelson from a course design perspective. Also, our event was the same price or more than a single day at mid Ohio, where are you finding cheap Nelson track time?

Rymer and I are doing gingerman in May, and I'd like to do Pitt also but we will see. Let me know if you plan a Pitt event.

Pretty much same plan.

GT3 will get brakes, tires and fluids to do a handful of events but will be scaled back to make a serious effort at Karting this year.

Turbo might actually get the stage 3 mods installed that I've had sitting there for 2 years, the car is already soo brutally fast it's not really been a priority.

Karting was an eye opener and really fed a desire to do wheel to wheel racing but we got in on the low end of the cost scale to see if it would really stick at first and I'm going to remedy that this season. I am determined to not have any excuses, if I get beat this year it's not going to be because I'm over weight or diving a 12 year old kart chassis that's all used up.

Picked up a 2018 Tony Kart 401s, Chris and I have done all the homework on getting the motors up and running the best they can and one of the top builders in the US will be doing our machine work and we will do final assembly and maintenance. I'm down almost 20 lbs in body weight already and intend on getting another 10-15 lbs of weight off of my fat ass before the season starts.

So cool. Where do you plan on racing? Is there a local series you would like to run? After jumping 2 feet in on road racing and being over whelmed i think you are doing it right by easing in with karting.

Funny because I have the opposite view. Wasn't a fan of Nelson from a course design perspective. Also, our event was the same price or more than a single day at mid Ohio, where are you finding cheap Nelson track time?

Rymer and I are doing gingerman in May, and I'd like to do Pitt also but we will see. Let me know if you plan a Pitt event.

Derek, sorry to hear about your experiences at Mid Ohio. I'm a big advocate that if someone can be fast at Mid Ohio they can be fast just about anywhere they go, really rewards a technically sound driver and doesn't require a big HP car to be quick.

If you like Nelson then you should go check out Putnam, similar flowing layout, generally cheap events, nice facilities and maybe 40 minutes further of a drive than Nelson.

...but you should all go to Pitt first!

A friend of mine in Cleveland met some guys that run their once a month during the week for cheap. So Ill be joining them. Ill let you know if they are looking for some more folks.

Ill probably do Pitt for Carfest in September with Auto Interest. Ill let you know if I do something different.

Derek, sorry to hear about your experiences at Mid Ohio. I'm a big advocate that if someone can be fast at Mid Ohio they can be fast just about anywhere they go, really rewards a technically sound driver and doesn't require a big HP car to be quick.

If you like Nelson then you should go check out Putnam, similar flowing layout, generally cheap events, nice facilities and maybe 40 minutes further of a drive than Nelson.

...but you should all go to Pitt first!

Andy, I believe you completely. I do feel sorta overwhelmed at MidOhio. I feel like if I had the option for loads of private track time there I would get to the point of enjoying it. Much of my dislike comes from never having traffic free laps. I always end up with 25 cars on track and so you never get a good feel/flow for what Im doing.

I do want to get to Putnam. Ive heard good things. And yes, Pitt is my favorite, by far.

Planning on actually finishing out the last couple mods on the mustang since other items took precedence last year to keep it on the track.

Going to put the 4.56's in for the diff, and then the 2018 intake manifold and maybe GT350 throttlebody/cai if it plays nice with the tune. If funds allow a front splitter and maybe a wing if the rear needs help after the splitter. And then probably finish off with a new set of BFG R1 tires for it.

Already bought a 10pack for Autointerests dates for 5/13 @ Mid Ohio, 5/25-26 @Gingerman, 6/29-30 @ Pitt Race, 7/12@ Mid Ohio, 8/3-4 @ Summit point and then 8/30-9/1@Pitt Race.

Plan is to try to get my car as close to NASA American Iron record times as I can for Gingerman, Mid Ohio and Pitt.

Planning on actually finishing out the last couple mods on the mustang since other items took precedence last year to keep it on the track.

Going to put the 4.56's in for the diff, and then the 2018 intake manifold and maybe GT350 throttlebody/cai if it plays nice with the tune. If funds allow a front splitter and maybe a wing if the rear needs help after the splitter. And then probably finish off with a new set of BFG R1 tires for it.

Already bought a 10pack for Autointerests dates for 5/13 @ Mid Ohio, 5/25-26 @Gingerman, 6/29-30 @ Pitt Race, 7/12@ Mid Ohio, 8/3-4 @ Summit point and then 8/30-9/1@Pitt Race.

Plan is to try to get my car as close to NASA American Iron record times as I can for Gingerman, Mid Ohio and Pitt.

Rymer and I are going with a group of mustang owners to gingerman for that event. Let's try to meet up while there.