New Supra revealed

Aaron

America voted with their wallets,

yeah well...America's voting habits are suspect these days.

That being said Every new car, 90% of the used cars, and 100% of the motorcycles I have bought have been manuals so I voted with my wallet.

Audi told me they don't want a repeat customer or my money. I'm fine with that - plenty of challengers, camaros, mustangs, VWs, subarus, bmws, etc...in the sea.

sports car without a manual? come on toyota, be better.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^^LOL :lol:

Sooo...

- everyone that buys a Supra will relate it to the storied Toyota awesomeness of the '90s.

- every time it breaks, people will blame the BMW engineering.

Is it krautwagen? rice-burner? I'm confused...

It's a car. Most modern American and German cars have more Japanese components in them than a Mitsubishi A6M Zero. Don't read so much into it.

I have to say there is something I overwhelmingly like about this car and that it is a I6 sports car. Forget 2JZ and all that jazz for a moment, the roots of proper sports cars lies with the I6 engine. The japanese used straight 6 engines when they built the first 240zx and the first supra because that is what the British used. Jaguar's cross flow I6 gave Enzo Ferrari and his small displacement v12's fits, which was esp fitting since Enzo himself had cut his teeth racing I6 alfa romeos in the 1920's and 30's. All the great sports car makers, Aston Martin, Corvette, Jaguar, BMW, Alfa Romeo, datsun, toyota, Ford, Austin Healey, Mercedes, Triumph, MG, Maserati etc...., have roots with the inline-6.

Today you can count the number of I6 sporting cars on one hand. There is the BMW z4 and turbo 2 and 3 series I6's, Mercedes AMG 53, and.......now the supra and that is pretty much it (although jaguar may be bringing it back as well). So for me I'm glad this thing exists - I just wish it wasn't $50k so more people will indoctrinate to the cult of the inline 6.

In other news here is exactly how much toyota put into this supra:

https://jalopnik.com/here-s-where-toyota-and-bmw-parted-ways-on-the-new-supr-1831780403

America voted with their wallets, and they have for decades. Keep it up fatsos and soon it will be nothing but SUVs too (until gas prices go through the roof again lol). With that being said, as fun and awesome as manuals are, new transmission technology is superior to manuals, welcome to the future, bitches.

Cue Not Brian with a "cry about non-manuals started pack".

Which one of you wants to get dragged around 270 first by a DCT?

And exactly how many new manuals have you contributed to the cause with?

Ill run you on 270 btw. Why not.

And gotta love that new 15 year old technology :dumb:

I have to say there is something I overwhelmingly like about this car and that it is a I6 sports car.

Yeah, nothing like a nice I6.

And exactly how many new manuals have you contributed to the cause with?

Ill run you on 270 btw. Why not.

And gotta love that new 15 year old technology :dumb:

I'm not the one bitching about progress. Nice manual, where'd you get it from, Charlton Heston's chariot?

Yeah, nothing like a nice I6.

I'm not the one bitching about progress. Nice manual, where'd you get it from, Charlton Heston's chariot?

Nah, you're just focusing your argument on "faster" when 99% of people want a manual for involvement, fun and resale value. You're not the fastest, always someone faster.

Cool auto, said noone.

Don't forget Jeep. lol

jeep made a sports car? I know people have taken the AMC 258 I6 racing offroad, and in rallyes in everything from jeeps to ramblers. but that's not really a sports car.

Still the I6 jeep engine is legendary in it's own right.

yeah well...America's voting habits are suspect these days.

That being said Every new car, 90% of the used cars, and 100% of the motorcycles I have bought have been manuals so I voted with my wallet.

Audi told me they don't want a repeat customer or my money. I'm fine with that - plenty of challengers, camaros, mustangs, VWs, subarus, bmws, etc...in the sea.

sports car without a manual? come on toyota, be better.

Sorry, your vote didn’t count.

No problem with my rs7 having the 8speed auto. Honestly, on kill mode the shifts are so fast if I wasn’t looking at the tach I would assume the car was not even shifting. I’m assuming the Supra will have a similar setup—millisecond shifts with no boost loss. It’s funny watching 90% of mkiv Supra videos on YouTube—turbo lag followed by crazy power/wheelspin, followed by a granny shift, more turbo lag, eventual insane power, followed by another granny shift, rinse repeat

If I want something slower (with 3 pedals) I can get a mustang or corvette.

That will benefit you greatly for all the timed racing you participate in.

There is not one time I take this car out that it doesn’t see triple digits. And I’ve had it on the drag strip. It out-et’d and out trapped my vette. So yes, the fast shifts are beneficial

Sorry, your vote didn’t count.

No problem with my rs7 having the 8speed auto. Honestly, on kill mode the shifts are so fast if I wasn’t looking at the tach I would assume the car was not even shifting. I’m assuming the Supra will have a similar setup—millisecond shifts with no boost loss. It’s funny watching 90% of mkiv Supra videos on YouTube—turbo lag followed by crazy power/wheelspin, followed by a granny shift, more turbo lag, eventual insane power, followed by another granny shift, rinse repeat

If I want something slower (with 3 pedals) I can get a mustang or corvette.

I think you highlight an interesting point here: I am not the customer for an RS7 either, and I have to imagine the majority of customers who would buy an RS7 wouldn't have a problem with it being an automatic. As hardcore a "manual only" guy I am, I understand that not every car has to have a stick. If I have to have a car that does what the Rs7 does, there is still the BMW M5 and the Chevy SS (used market).

Where I get chaffed on this issue is when traditional engaging "sporty" cars to DD and do light track work lose their manual. I have a 3 series and an A3, both in stick and both I would handily replace with newer stick versions when the time came, except audi and bmw both dropped the stick for those cars. I went to the launch party for the "new" a3 a couple years ago, and I drove one and it was faster than my existing a3, but not nearly as enjoyable - and that's important to a plucky car like the A3 where it isn't as fast as a camaro, mustang, et al....it needs to be enjoyable.

I get that paper stats sell cars, and having lightning fast shifts helps those numbers, but my commute doesn't need those numbers. Road going sports cars are just better feeling cars with manuals, and in the case of the new supra I feel like it loses a whole market segment - esp when it is coming out that the intended competitor is the porsche cayman, a car that sells quite well in stick.

I think you highlight an interesting point here: I am not the customer for an RS7 either, and I have to imagine the majority of customers who would buy an RS7 wouldn't have a problem with it being an automatic. As hardcore a "manual only" guy I am, I understand that not every car has to have a stick. If I have to have a car that does what the Rs7 does, there is still the BMW M5 and the Chevy SS (used market).

Where I get chaffed on this issue is when traditional engaging "sporty" cars to DD and do light track work lose their manual. I have a 3 series and an A3, both in stick and both I would handily replace with newer stick versions when the time came, except audi and bmw both dropped the stick for those cars. I went to the launch party for the "new" a3 a couple years ago, and I drove one and it was faster than my existing a3, but not nearly as enjoyable - and that's important to a plucky car like the A3 where it isn't as fast as a camaro, mustang, et al....it needs to be enjoyable.

I get that paper stats sell cars, and having lightning fast shifts helps those numbers, but my commute doesn't need those numbers. Road going sports cars are just better feeling cars with manuals, and in the case of the new supra I feel like it loses a whole market segment - esp when it is coming out that the intended competitor is the porsche cayman, a car that sells quite well in stick.

Sounds like you wouldn’t enjoy the difference between an a4 to an s4 to an rs4 on your daily commute—so why are you complaining about Audi not giving the us market the good “rs” models, if you’re not interestd? I was looking for a full sized, good looking luxury car that could easily run mid/upper 10’s and got exactly what I was looking for.

Regardless, if Toyota was billing this as a lightweight, road track car, it would have been cool to see a manual option

That will benefit you greatly for all the timed racing you participate in.

Says the guy who went to a twisty public road and a drag strip last year. #professionalracer

There is not one time I take this car out that it doesn’t see triple digits. And I’ve had it on the drag strip. It out-et’d and out trapped my vette. So yes, the fast shifts are beneficial

Ignore him. He's just super salty that not everyone has a Camaro 1LE and a truck that doesn't go when you mash the pedal.

Sounds like you wouldn’t enjoy the difference between an a4 to an s4 to an rs4 on your daily commute—so why are you complaining about Audi not giving the us market the good “rs” models, if you’re not interestd? I was looking for a full sized, good looking luxury car that could easily run mid/upper 10’s and got exactly what I was looking for.

Regardless, if Toyota was billing this as a lightweight, road track car, it would have been cool to see a manual option

Ignore him as well. He's not looking to upgrade either vehicle.

In before triggered response. gabe.jpg

Edited by Otis Nice

Don't hate it.

Don't love it.

Manual would be nice, but humans grow lazier by the day. Its not a DTC car, it's a slushbox. Watching track videos of the car the shifts will be as Lazy as Toyotas engineers. Looks-the concept was MUCH better. Fairly disappointed there. Disappointed at the laziness to simply use basically a 14 year old BMW engine. (referencing the first E60 which was the base for all the turbo stuff that came after it). You take THAT long to develop a car and you cant even come up with your own mill?

I get that manufacturers "share" things, but this is not a turn signal switch. Its the heart and sole of the car. One would argue the original Supra was as known, even more known for its HEART. They missed there. If you miss with the power plant and (in the eye of public opinion) miss with the looks, there where did you win here?

To me, it looks like they wanted to build a low cost daily drivable "fun" car, not a sports car. To me this is just another ISF. If that's what they wanted, they succeeded.

Sounds like you wouldn’t enjoy the difference between an a4 to an s4 to an rs4 on your daily commute—so why are you complaining about Audi not giving the us market the good “rs” models, if you’re not interestd?

I don't think thats entirely accurate - if you held a gun to my head and said pick an A4, S4, and RS4, all automatics, and you have no other options to pick a different car, I'd pick the RS4. But I would take an S4 stick over an RS4 auto if those were the only choices.

In the past I have considered a stick RS4 (an '06 model in 2011) but ended up buying a stick A3 instead because of more confidence in the 2.0T engine than the 4.2 V8 (at the time the forums were just starting to report the timing chain follower issue and the $10K it was to fix it). the RS4 used to be one of those cars that was only available in stick, so to me an auto feels like a compromise. Besides I think the RS4 has bloated out of market for me, but the 2011-2012 RS3 sportback with the DCT, which we didn't get, is def something I would have deeply considered, esp after having such a mostly positive experience with my A3 - but if they had made it in stick I doubt I could resist it. At this point though - Audi is a company that has only occasionally made cars that appeal to me, thought I wish they made more since I was such a fan of the original Quattro coupe when I was a kid (dad's friend Richie had one and a 911, both of which changed my mind and made me appreciate foreign sports cars in an otherwise GM family). But I guess that's why I'm glad they make mustangs and camaros and SS's, and such - to give guys like me some choice in the marketplace for my particular fetish.

No problem with my rs7 having the 8speed auto.

It's a good transmission, really fast especially for a torque converter. I was going back and forth on whether I should trade in my A5 and lose the ZF8 for an S6 with the 7spd DCT. 8 speed is capable of holding more power and has an extra gear. At the end of the day, it was 4.0TT that beat 2.0T, and the DCT is pretty cool too.

It's a good transmission, really fast especially for a torque converter. I was going back and forth on whether I should trade in my A5 and lose the ZF8 for an S6 with the 7spd DCT. 8 speed is capable of holding more power and has an extra gear. At the end of the day, it was 4.0TT that beat 2.0T, and the DCT is pretty cool too.

I’ll be honest with you, the 8 speed in my Audi is much better than the twin clutch in my Nissan. I’m pretty sure it shifts just as fast and the paddles work better. It will hold much, much more torque as I’m pretty sure all the huge torque Bentley’s have the same lump, as well as the hellcat/demon/red eyes. Yet the Audi shifts better than my hellcat charger and has never had an issue cruising 90% of the time on the 93 octane tune (700lb/ft). I’m on the brink of trading my charger for an rs3, so it will be interesting driving a 6speed twin clutch, 7speed dct, and 8 speed slush box back to back.