My wife really wanted a Tesla, so I bought...

zeitgeist57

...another Lincoln Mark V. :D

Since my parents bought my ‘78 last May, I have to say I missed not having a land yacht to cruise in. Like all of you, I kept a few searches ongoing (looking at old Benzes, COBs, or another Lincoln). Found this one locally, and negotiated a good deal. Wife loved the color, so it was ON...

wxX1l5Il.jpg

FiOilwNl.jpg

49k original miles, was an estate sale from Toledo that a guy bought in 2017 and never drove it. Around 1300 miles since it’s last oil change...in 2005. I think it's Dark Jade Metallic, with a green interior, with a white top and white leather upholstery. It's got an older respray but the whole car looks pretty amazing, with NO RUST. Since it's the last year of the Mark V, it only had the 400ci engine (as opposed to the 460) but it's a whole lot tighter than my old car and runs really well on the highway. Looking forward to getting the white leather interior cleaned up and get some of the cracking filled in to make it a clean runner!

From what I learned on my last Mark V, the plans are to airbag this boat with Slam Specialties SS7's, and keep an eye out for some wire wheels and whitewalls as well. It does have the aluminum Turbine wheels with gold inserts, so I am 50/50 on just getting new tires on the factory wheels...but the offset is really inboard.

qM4E1PWl.jpg

Note the dust on the car...hoping it will look amazing once it's cleaned up! Updates to follow. :cool:

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha! Love it! My dad had a couple Marks. He loved them. I remember back in the day they were really something. Big land yahts like that were cool as hell. Huge 2 door beasts.

When you get her all cleaned up let that paint drink in 2-3 coats of Megs #7. After the wipe off of the final one, polish her up!

Looking forward to seeing it.

BTW: Clay what the fuck is wrong with you?

Edited by TTQ B4U

alright I just went through and re-skimmed this to make sure it wasn't like a cool-ass tube-frame razecar with a shitLOL body stuck on thur.

I'm going to come back and check on this later, and I expect improvement

- I love that these things are such a huge monster of a car, and can be found for less than $3k all day...while looking like nothing else on the road today. These were equivalent $55-$60k in today’s money back in 1979!

- Super easy to work on, with robust (considering the era) engine/brakes/trans. It wasn’t a super car, but it was a super car. LSD rear-end with 4 wheel discs.

- Coil springs all around so they’re easy to air bag.

- The colors, man...the colors.

- hideaway headlights.

That’s the start to why I love these cars. I can’t say what the fucks wrong with me. :)

I am showing this to my wife the next time she complains about my 80's Mustang habit.

I'm happily married 16 years; I run cars by my wife after a good amount of thought. I had been looking at Merc W115 "Stroke 8" 2-doors for months. Every time I found a decent one, she rubber-stamped NO on the old Mercedes idea. It's not that an old Lincoln is better than an old Mercedes, but I don't need to be fighting with her preference every time she sees it.

I would've just passed on this Lincoln as well if she poo-poo'd it, but she really does love the color. Had to jump when I get buy-in from the wifey. :thumbup:

I'm happily married 16 years; I run cars by my wife after a good amount of thought. I had been looking at Merc W115 "Stroke 8" 2-doors for months. Every time I found a decent one, she rubber-stamped NO on the old Mercedes idea. It's not that an old Lincoln is better than an old Mercedes, but I don't need to be fighting with her preference every time she sees it.

I would've just passed on this Lincoln as well if she poo-poo'd it, but she really does love the color. Had to jump when I get buy-in from the wifey. :thumbup:

that's how I ended up with the Corolla. I just showed my wife what was on craigslist and that it didn't make sense with no intention of buying it. She said your stupid if you don't get it.