My wife really wanted a Tesla, so I bought...

zeitgeist57

Looks awesome. Why the bag route again though?

I enjoyed the look, and the ability to customize the stance.

I think people make a mistake taking more modern cars and bagging them (like a newer Mustang or A4, for example): you ruin whatever handling gained from millions of dollars and miles to gain hard parking.

With these old land yachts, you lose none of the handling characteristics because they are so floaty to begin with. Theres a ton of room for tire movement without modifying body panels, and the suspension tech is stone-age simple so I think it's a perfect platform for it.

I won't do it right away, but maybe after a year of driving it, sorting out other things.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spritty tinkles.

An old boat I had when I was younger and would love to have again is an '86 regal. Man I loved that car. Not as big as the yachts you've grown accustom to, but there is a little place in my heart for these big, old cars.

1977-78 had the 460/4bbl as an option. For the last year of the Mark V series, 1979’s only came with the 400/2bbl.

Nice flow of torque, Still does 80+ easily. Not acontender for The Lists, though....:D

zaFQdbTl.jpg

Looks like they took two of those foldable alarm clocks you wind up, put them in the dash and say, "Man that looks groovy".

s-l500.jpg

am I crazy or are your gauge lights green as well? In the old one they were yellow. If they color matched the gauge lights to the exterior then I have a new respect for Lincoln's attention to detail.

They do have a greenish tint to them.

Looks like they took two of those foldable alarm clocks you wind up, put them in the dash and say, "Man that looks groovy".

s-l500.jpg

Cartier clock...all 77-79 Mark V's had it. Date even works!

http://www.oxley.biz/images/Cartier-Penny10.jpg

I’ve been out of town since Monday, 2/4...haven’t driven it much. Still need to get title and plate done at the BMV. Haven’t even washed it yet!

Looking forward to driving it once the weather warms up a bit and salt is off the road. Will update this thread.

Plates came in. Can’t wait for warmer weather and NO ROAD SALT...

Noticed the estate sale tag is still on the windshield :lol:

bMVfF9Al.jpg

If you need help detailing it, I'm in to help. May cost you a couple beers and some bullshit chatter as we work on it but I'm game to help get you going. I have been perfecting my old single stage work and if the car is clean it's going to be awesome.

If you need help detailing it, I'm in to help. May cost you a couple beers and some bullshit chatter as we work on it but I'm game to help get you going. I have been perfecting my old single stage work and if the car is clean it's going to be awesome.

How confident are you that you could handle a '76 Ford truck with orig paint in near mint condition and a flawless interior without fouling it up?

The white leather drivers' seat is cracked but not too badly...with dirt in the cracks. I've been watching some YouTube videos on cleaning cracked rubber seats, filling with silicone, and re-dyeing the leather. The rest of the interior is in very good condition - and very green - so getting these white leather seats to pop would really improve the car.

Called Jim's Trim Shop - he said that if there's already cracking going on, they don't do any repairs; they're just going to replace the leather. I politely said that's more than I'm willing to do and thanked him for the info.

GUESS I'M GOING INTO THE LEATHER REPAIR BUSINESS :lol: This will go great......?

How confident are you that you could handle a '76 Ford truck with orig paint in near mint condition and a flawless interior without fouling it up?

I'll practice on Clay's Ford. :p

Just kidding. Shouldn't be an issues. You and I will gov over the truck together, measure the paint assess what's needed and all should be good. The key on these old single stage paints is to "feed" them first. It will likely suck up some Megs #7 and come back to life pretty nicely. Single stage is not difficult.

Call me and when the weather breaks we can meet up and look at it.

It will likely suck up some Megs #7 and come back to life pretty nicely.

I will say that was a great recommendation. I did the #7-then-let-it-sit polish on my old '78 and it's impressive how good the old paint (with some repairs) came out.

A3fgEN3l.jpg

WViNEMYl.jpg

I've had this '79 for over a month and haven't seen it in the sun yet! Ohio winters LOL :lol: Looks like there's a neat metallic to the green paint I'm looking forward to checking out.

• 2 weeks later...

Man, February through today has been a poopy extension of winter. Ready for consistent 50+ degree days ANYTIME NOW...

YDCgM70l.jpg

P.O. used a Walker y-pipe to connect factory cats to a straight pipe with a dump in front of the rear drivers' wheel. For 400ci's through no muffler, it was loud but not too bad. May actually keep it str8-p1p3d. What DID suck was the horrible exhaust leak from where the pipe bolted to the catalytic converter flange with no attempt to remove the old gasket. You can see the exhaust leak on the lower left part of the cat flange below that I needed to repair...

wPHJODhl.jpg

Oh yes...I guess you can also see the HOLE SAW THEY TOOK TO THE CATS :rolleyes: New Fel-Pro gaskets and some RTV and it's surprisingly quiet aside from the 2.25" single outlet. It'll be fine for a cruiser...

New white walls, baby! Wal*Mart apparently shipped them from space.

GQYLHT8l.jpg

Suretrac 235/75s...cheap but with the fattest stripe this side of Coker, or Port-o-walls. I'll show pics of the ancient Michelin's that are on the Lincoln currently when it warms up. They are cracking on the sidewalls...that can't be safe. :lol:

TQxx0jvl.jpg

Edited by zeitgeist57