How to flare brake lines ?s.

Stampede

Trying to re-flare a factory brake line on a 03 Dodge Ram, not having any luck!!!

Does anyone know of a good brake line flare kit? I'm using the one from advance, or is it just the factory lines are just hard to do. Would it just be easier to flare the parts store line?

Thanks.

I use that advance tool to do flares....the amount of line you have sticking out of the block is important. Should be up the height of the shoulder on the mandrel piece. Also keep in mind that flare doesn't have to be completely perfect. It'll form somewhat around that nipple when you tighten it down. One of the mistakes I used to make was trying to get that flare exactly perfect. It doesn't have to be. Just get a decent double flare and it won't leak.

Trying to re-flare a factory brake line on a 03 Dodge Ram, not having any luck!!!

Does anyone know of a good brake line flare kit? I'm using the one from advance, or is it just the factory lines are just hard to do. Would it just be easier to flare the parts store line?

Thanks.

the line should flare with the same difficulty generally speaking.

If you get desperate try just replacing as much of the line as you can with the copper looking line, that's the only thing I will use at work on replacement fuel/cooler/brake lines. It will be a touch easier to flare by hand.

For anyone interested this is what the "professionals" use. Well worth the money for me, even a DIY job on a GM truck needed brake lines and eventual fuel lines this is well worth it IMO. It takes me 3 minutes or so per flare on the vehicle assuming I can do it on car. Off car it's less, likely 30 seconds to a minute. Not nearly as much prep required on the fittings as compared to the "by hand" method. I don't clean up my cuts at all and I've never once had an issue and I do 2-3 sets of brake lines a week on average.

https://www.amazon.com/MASTERCOOL-72485-PRC-Universal-Hydraulic-Transmission/dp/B06WD86RLH/ref=sr_1_2?crid=WGRQ03QWF4Q3&keywords=mastercool+flaring+tool+kit&qid=1550103021&s=gateway&sprefix=mastercool+%2Caps%2C136&sr=8-2

I think this is the same kit Matco and Snappy sell for $500ish. Their is a $30 cheaper version but I think it lacks trans cooler stuff not positive though.

• 2 weeks later...