Electrical Geek Question

magifesq

yeah, this will do it if you run it on a 110AC inverter, lol...

40-15.jpg

Seriously... are you building an inertial electrostatic confinement (IEC) fusion device?

or in other words, a neutron beam weapon?

Again seriously, there are smaller rack mount devices for continuous output, or capacitor discharge devices for one shot on demand. Starter systems on turbine engines have something similar. None of this stuff is cheap, not even used surplus. None of this stuff is safe, it's all extremely dangerous. Most are powered by AC or charged up with aircraft large generators.

This is more in the arena of high energy physics, than electrical. The dangers are extreme. There is even the possibility of harmful radiation being produced, either microwave or x-ray.

40kV 1mA is more of an electrostatic device, but it's still powerful. That's the starting range for splitting neutrons off of atoms, and is why I mentioned neutron beams.

yeah, this will do it if you run it on a 110AC inverter, lol...

%7Boption%7Dhttp://www.trekinc.com/images/products/AMPLIFIERS/40-15.jpg[/img ]

Seriously... are you building an inertial electrostatic confinement (IEC) fusion device?

or in other words, a neutron beam weapon?

This makes me laugh.

:lol: <---See I'm laughing.

The high voltage section of an old black and white TV set should do the trick.

Many of them could be run off a 12 volt adapter.

That should get you your 40kv at about the right current.

Running on a 12VDC source, a flyback transformer would probably generate output of only about 12kv-15kv.

I want to put apply a tesla style ultra-high voltage source to one of my hydrogen generators to see the effects.

I figured a high voltage ignition coil and bridge rectifier circuit might do the trick.

Any suggestions on the type of rectifier for continual long term usage?

You could try the TV flyback transformer. It's cheap and would have more mA at the lower kV output. And maybe could find one that has a higher kV output. I thought color TVs had more kV output, but I might be very wrong about that.

One from a portable TV that runs on batteries might be interesting. I've not looked at one to see how it operates on the 12vdc. I'm believing that most 110vac TVs use that 110vac for the high voltage transformer.

A couple of other devices use similar high voltage setups. A neon sign uses a 30kv-40kv transformer. X-ray machine transformers use a higher output voltage. Telsa experimenters try to find the X-ray machine gear. Both still have a 110vac input, for the rated output, as far as I know.

You might want to work some numbers, to see if a 14.5vdc alternator can generate enough output to run something like this. You might be running a second one, or a third, like some of the boom stereo contest cars.'

I'd be impressed by a 110v generator running on the engine.

Here's something a friend suggested over the weekend - stun gun - I can't find a power rating, but most showing about 1m volts. I'm thinking nano-amps.

Cattle prod @ TSC rated for 4500 volts.

Man - something has got to be closer to the ideal I'm looking for

Here's something a friend suggested over the weekend - stun gun - I can't find a power rating, but most showing about 1m volts. I'm thinking nano-amps.

Cattle prod @ TSC rated for 4500 volts.

Man - something has got to be closer to the ideal I'm looking for

shiiiiiit, you posted this just before I was about as I read it. Stun guns are what you want to imitate.

It's seriously crazy simple in theory, but harder to get something to do that in the real world. you have a pulse generator go through a transformer with a huge winding differential. Sometimes they go through 2 cascaded transformers to get the same effect in smaller windings. In your case, you're going to be running 40W of power through a transformer with a 3333:1 winding ratio (which is a hell of a thing). Also, you're primary side will have to be rated for at least 3.5A (probably more to be safe, it's gonna get hot), and windings for that kind of current aren't super tiny.

If you want pulse instead of continuous, any hot car coil will fire 40kV stuff. And the vehicle is already set up to fire one coil, maybe make it two coils. One for the engine, and one (or more) for your hydrogen generator gear. The extra coil(s) shouldn't draw any more than an additional 10amps?

You would be building a second secondary ignition system at your hydrogen generator and firing it with wiring from the primary ignition circuit. That might even be modified with circuitry to increase or decrease the rate of fire. Sort of like an MSD box.

Actually, you could fire it with any sort of circuitry you want. You would probably prefer a steady state, and not one that varied with RPM?

I can only assume you mean pulsed 40kV. If you mean DC, just let me know so I can be out the county when you charge that thing up, and out of the state when you discharge it. :lol:

you're gonna want to use a FET driver piggybacked into a big power FET to do the switching. Current switching like that needs big FETs, and those things usually have big gate capacitances that regular ICs won't like to drive by themselves. FET drivers are about as straighforward to use as anyhting, they just tend to be necessary for decent transient characteristics when using big power FETs and big currents.

There are hundreds of circuits and projects for this on line.

This one uses current limited pulse width modulation control (using MOSFET):

http://www3.telus.net/chemelec/Projects/Hydrogen/I-Limit-PWM/I-Limit-PWM.htm

found at:

http://www3.telus.net/chemelec/Projects/Hydrogen/Hydrogen.htm

Current limiting adjustments would allow maximum hydrogen production, up till it fails and boils.

This circuit also claims auto adjustment to compensate for changes from heat.

This one claims a max of about 20% increase in fuel economy.

Good luck with it, and be careful.

edit: I'd rather split the neutrons and build the neutron beam weapon...

Edited by ReconRat

I found some of Stan Myer's original writings (he got his dune buggy on the H2 + O instead of gas) and he pulsed 40Kv @ 1 Ma, kinda makes sense in a tesla high voltage effect kind of way. I imagine the pulsing increases / decreases production once the circuit hydrogen generator is fully charged. His setup was quite ornate, I'm thinking instead of lasers and all kinds of exotic stuff, maybe put a collar around some exhaust piping and collect some of the wasted heat energy. The hotter the water the less electricity necessary (hence the increased amp draw @ higher temps).

Using wasted heat is good. Radiators are very efficient, if it is inside the tank. Aircraft use them in fuel tanks (liquid to liquid exchange), it's a free source of cooling, and pre-heating the fuel is ok. Some race cars use them that way also.

The pulsing is claimed to somehow generate more hydrogen, at a certain frequency that apparently no one has discovered yet. A dream, but a good one.