New (2020?) Ford Bronco

zeitgeist57

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a26929055/ford-bronco-suv-new-details/

Now that I've got a famiry, I like the idea of cruising around town in a topless "Jeep", but could never get comfortable with FCA's quality over the years.

Will be really interesting to see this come to fruition. Even if it's automatic-only, a 2-door/4-door removable top SUV will be a ridiculous hit.

Will also be interesting to see GM follow suit. How long did the Jeep Wrangler run unopposed? Last Blazer/Bronco's with removable tops were in the '90s??? If Ford does the Bronco, there's no doubt that GM will jump into the game in the next 5 years. Too bad they gave the Blazer name to some bloated Equinox.

We all love to hate SUV's, but a return to some market-competitive open-wheeled 4x4s would be a refreshing change I could see myself buying (used...) :)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that I've got a famiry, I like the idea of cruising around town in a topless "Jeep", but could never get comfortable with FCA's quality over the years.

Dude, you really need to get over that. If there is one thing FCA gets right it's the wrangler. Sure they fuck up nearly everything else but there is a reason why wranglers are one of the best vehicles at holding value over everything else FCA makes, and it isn't because of fanboi love and instagram likes.

Will be really interesting to see this come to fruition. Even if it's automatic-only, a 2-door/4-door removable top SUV will be a ridiculous hit.

It should be a hit, but fer got sakes man, have some standards.

Will also be interesting to see GM follow suit. How long did the Jeep Wrangler run unopposed? Last Blazer/Bronco's with removable tops were in the '90s??? If Ford does the Bronco, there's no doubt that GM will jump into the game in the next 5 years. Too bad they gave the Blazer name to some bloated Equinox.

GM will do what it always does: wait 2 years to see if there is room in the market and then release either a really good car nobody will buy because it is too expensive, or a mediocre also ran that will outsell both.

but let's talk about this statement about the "wrangler" running un-opposed. The original wrangler was the "Jeep" market segment - what eventually became the compact SUV market. from 1987-2006 it's competitors weren't the full size bronco or the K blazer, it was stuff like the S-10 blazer 2 door, the Bronco II, the Suzuki Samauri, Geo Tracker, First Gen Ford Explorer 2 door, etc. It was always opposed, there were lots of attempts to do what the jeep did but more comfortable or with more power or smaller and more efficiently - and some outsold the little jeep, but it was a reliable seller and kept soldiering on. It has the luxury of being the desirable car in a segment nobody otherwise wants, by outlasting everything there. The 4 door JK unlimited isn't "unopposed" - it's an alternative for Tahoe buyers who wanted 4x4 capability but got left behind by luxury (it certainly is in the same price bracket as the tahoe), but the wrangler pivoted and is no longer a small or even a "midsize" SUV. It's a fullsize now, which is in itself interesting.

We all love to hate SUV's, but a return to some market-competitive open-wheeled 4x4s would be a refreshing change I could see myself buying (used...) :)

I am happy to see something else in the market place and a fresh approach, but competitors come and go for the wrangler. I wish ford well, but I'd rather have a jeep.

Oh wow, that mesh one would be awesome. We rented a Jeep out in Moab with tube doors and a bikini top; probably the best setup on a car like that.

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/04/02/ford-bronco-patent-application-roll-up-roof-canopy/#slide-7552683

Dat roof doe...

I'm liking this thing if HALF of the proposed options make it to production.

Remember when GM did that on the Envoy XUV and then nobody bought one?

Pepperidge farm remembers.....

http://momentcar.com/images/gmc-envoy-xuv-2004-5.jpg

http://www.tentsontrucks.com/images/Envoy-XUV.jpg

Remember when GM did that on the Envoy XUV and then nobody bought one?

Pepperidge farm remembers.....

http://momentcar.com/images/gmc-envoy-xuv-2004-5.jpg

http://www.tentsontrucks.com/images/Envoy-XUV.jpg

What killed this thing was

1) It was ugly as fuck, the Envoy already was a bit of an acquired taste, and the body lines just never fit the XUV and was even worse because of the elongated platform.

2) They never should have sold the XUV with the I6, should have been V8 only. I had and LOVED the I6 in my Trailblazer, but it was not enough engine for the elongated platform.

3) The whole XUV thing was honestly just not that great an execution, but it was a great idea. People with them on the TB forums used to complain that they just weren't a great SUV or "truck". Fine for transporting a tall plant or a single bike without taking the wheels off, but not really good at anything. For a success story, see: Avalanche.

Ford could nail the Bronco not as a truck-like thing, but with the broad appeal of Wrangler-like features in a bigger platform. Wrangler essentially owns that market but I know a lot of folks that would own one if they were a bit bigger.

Ford could nail the Bronco not as a truck-like thing, but with the broad appeal of Wrangler-like features in a bigger platform. Wrangler essentially owns that market but I know a lot of folks that would own one if they were a bit bigger.

Slightly larger would be great but for my wife and I (her car) what eliminates the wrangler 4 door is towing capacity. Its pathetic. The great part of the gladiator is the 7500lb tow capacity that would allow it to tow a car. If the wrangler gets the 7500lb capacity we would look at that over a gladiator and here's to hoping the bronco keeps the rangers 7500lb capacity as well.

Slightly larger would be great but for my wife and I (her car) what eliminates the wrangler 4 door is towing capacity. Its pathetic. The great part of the gladiator is the 7500lb tow capacity that would allow it to tow a car. If the wrangler gets the 7500lb capacity we would look at that over a gladiator and here's to hoping the bronco keeps the rangers 7500lb capacity as well.

The Gladiator is seriously looking awesome. Watched DeMuro's video yesterday and I was really left impressed. If I ever wanted to downsize a bit from my F150 (and sell my Vert :gabe:) I could get one and satisfy both needs in one. Cool looking truck.

I agree with you and hope Ford keeps it on a high payload -- a Raptor version would be awesome too.

I do love the Gladiator, and appreciate that Jeep (FCA) finally greenlighted it's development....and kept some awesome options like the convertible and stick-shift.

My problem with it (and possibly the Bronco) is that they are just too big. 218" for the Gladiator? That's 18+' in a 20'x24' garage with a workbench....15" longer than my minivan and that's as much vehicle as anyone should need.

I had a post typed complaining about the length of these new midsized pickups, it's crazy. With a crew cab and short bed too long for my residential garage. And if its sitting outside no reason to get a midsized imo. The gladiator is on it's own though. Out of this world cool that it was made in todays ever shrinking cool shit club.

15" longer than my minivan and that's as much vehicle as anyone should need.

Speak for yourself. ;) We have a minivan and my F150 Super Crew with a 5.5' bed and I wish it was at least the 6.5', and next time around I might special order it with the 8'! :eek:

why would you ever park a jeep inside a garage? It's a jeep, it lives outside like a pet wolf, and when it misbehaves you fix it by hitting it with a rock.

inside jeeps. pfft. next we will be talking about open toed men's dress shoes.

Speak for yourself. ;) We have a minivan and my F150 Super Crew with a 5.5' bed and I wish it was at least the 6.5', and next time around I might special order it with the 8'! :eek:

Only way to crew cab with 8' is super doody sadly.

• 6 months later...
I fitted a 19-footer (143-in wheelbase), full-size, crew cab GM pickup truck in my suburb, residential, 2-car garage just fine. Hell, I even stuffed a Corvette and a 370Z along with the truck in the same 2-car garage.