Amazon in NE Ohio

zeitgeist57

I know a few former, current, and transplanted Clevelanders are on CR...Wall Street Journal did a nice, high-level piece on Amazon's expansion into some old malls in NE Ohio.

https://www.wsj.com/video/why-amazon-is-gobbling-up-failed-malls/FC3559FE-945E-447C-8837-151C31D69127.html

As someone who grew up in Shaker Heights during the mid-'80s to early-'90s, there will always be a special place in my heart for the old Randall Park Mall. My parents now live in Euclid by the lakeshore, so I knew about the old Euclid Square Mall facility. Didn't realize Amazon built a fulfillment center at the old Randall Mall site.

Really interesting to see Amazon continue it's dominance. I shopped this weekend for some Silverado front suspension parts on AutoZone locally ($180+), then RockAuto ($150+), before buying on Monday, from my phone, through Amazon (full kit with balljoints and end links for $115 shipped). If there's a retail evolution from here I can't imagine what it will be!

I'm a bit older than you but remember going there as a kid. My dad never liked it as it was in an area that he knew was going to shit. LOL that we grew up so close to one another. We lived in Maple Hts until I was about 3-4 then moved to Lyndhurst. Glad at least Amazon is in there now. Totally makes sense given the size of the land area vacant and needing used. Most are not going to be rebuilt using smaller stores given they are in shitty areas of town like both these. Labor in these areas is likely dirt cheap too.

• 2 weeks later...
I grew up in Richmond Hts and still remember my dad's car getting stolen from the Euclid mall.

Did you go to Brush Tim?

No. Benedictine 84-88. My brothers went to Ignatius but one finished his last year at Brush. I lived 4 streets over though.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I just saw some videos recently of how Amazon was starting to use old malls as fulfillment centers. I still enjoy walking through the mall with my wife and hate to see them close, but this is much better then them sitting empty and such a fitting use for them.

I have appraised a lot of properties on the east side of Cleveland including North Randall. I hope the city takes advantage of this as the area has struggled for decades.

Clay I agree with you on Amazon quickly becoming the go to place for parts. After looking around for a transmission mount I ended up buying a Delco one for $3 less than I could get an aftermarket one for at one of the local stores. I ordered it Wednesday night and it will be here today. Why wouldn’t you do that?

No. Benedictine 84-88. My brothers went to Ignatius but one finished his last year at Brush. I lived 4 streets over though.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

As much as Maple Hts changed on you, so has your old place in Lyndhurst. Seems like the police respond to Brush almost daily.

As much as Maple Hts changed on you, so has your old place in Lyndhurst. Seems like the police respond to Brush almost daily.

I know. I sold my parents home when my father died in 2014. That area began to change years ago. Richmond Hts too.