Truck won’t start

HotCarl

In the last year I’ve replaced the battery and starter on my 08 Tacoma. For some reason when I turn the key absolutely nothing happens. electronics turn on (ac and radio) but nothing when I turn the key. I eventually sit there trying for 20 minutes and it will finally turn over. No idea why.

Any suggestions? Could it be the (almost brand new) starter?!

Doesn't crank or click like you would expect a dead battery. I'm leaning more and more towards the starter that I installed not even 10 months ago which is really fucking annoying.

My tacoma is bare bones so I don't believe there is any security feature having to do with the key or starting the truck. The only security feature on the truck is the manual door locks.

Doesn't crank or click like you would expect a dead battery. I'm leaning more and more towards the starter that I installed not even 10 months ago which is really fucking annoying.

My tacoma is bare bones so I don't believe there is any security feature having to do with the key or starting the truck. The only security feature on the truck is the manual door locks.

when it does start after the 20 minutes does it crank slow?

Does the radio and stuff turn off while you are trying to crank (like they normally would)? It almost sounds like a relay issue to me.

Yeah all electronics turn on and function. Seems to be an issue on warm startup, if the truck sits for a while it will start on the first turn.

Need to verify if you are getting power on the small blade connector on the starter with the key in crank. If yes, it's a junk starter. There is a possibility that there is a problem with the main power wire from the battery to the starter as well. Would require a voltage drop test, but not un common for starters to be bad even out of the box.

but not un common for starters to be bad even out of the box.

So so so SO not un common you don't even want to know. Especially given everything you buy is "re-manufactured" the quality control on some products is... frustratingly frightening.

So so so SO not un common you don't even want to know. Especially given everything you buy is "re-manufactured" the quality control on some products is... frustratingly frightening.

I mean it's not uncommon to have just about any part bad out of the box now a days haha. I roll my eyes anymore.

We actually had a car come in that the customer had put the starter on and found out that the starter motor windings were reversed and was turning the motor the wrong direction.

I mean it's not uncommon to have just about any part bad out of the box now a days haha. I roll my eyes anymore.

We actually had a car come in that the customer had put the starter on and found out that the starter motor windings were reversed and was turning the motor the wrong direction.

I have nothing to add other then hahaha! A starter that spins the engine backwards?!? That’s a new one lol.

• 5 weeks later...

So a small update:

Luckily I had purchased a lifetime warranty starter from Autozone, last weekend I took the "new" one out and exchanged it for a new one under the warranty. Everything was fine for a few days until Thursday the same issue happened after i got off work. Turn the key and nothing, eventually after trying for several minutes the motor turned and I was on my way. Same issue happened today.

I'm gonna try to swap the starter relay and maybe that will solve the problem. The only other options from the haynes manual is checking all connections, battery terminal, loose wires, etc... typical stuff that all looked ok.

Of course, finally get a new starter relay and it doesnt work. not totally sure where to go from here.

Who does CR take there cars to that won't absolutely screw them over?

Whatever you do, don't take it to Sean at Northend Wrench or Austin at Lucore. Those guys have no idea what they're doing. ;)