93-octane vs. 87-octane (Car and Driver)

zeitgeist57

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparison-feature/a28565486/honda-cr-v-vs-bmw-m5-ford-f-150-dodge-charger/

This article is timely, as I just took delivery of a 2.0T Lincoln MKC as a company vehicle. Strict company fuel-card policy of 87 octane only. Is there any issue with the car's performance on regular gas?

Largely, no difference according to the data for new vehicles. We all know that good gas is important, and butt-dyno benefits of 93 octane feels good, especially with OLDER cars where the computer isn't super-reactive to timing changes and fuel maps.

Intadesting stuff!

does your MKC allow for 87 fuel? or is it requiring 93? I haven't seen a turbo car that didn't require 93 octane at all times.

I think this test is kinda dumb. The question isn't do you see a benefit in a car designed for 87 running on higher octane, it's - what long term damage are you doing running a car recommended for 93 by running on 87?

Most modern cars will pull timing to keep the engines from pinging, but how effective is that? long term is it wearing holes in the pistons? ruining plugs? burning cats?

does your MKC allow for 87 fuel? or is it requiring 93? I haven't seen a turbo car that didn't require 93 octane at all times.

I think this test is kinda dumb. The question isn't do you see a benefit in a car designed for 87 running on higher octane, it's - what long term damage are you doing running a car recommended for 93 by running on 87?

Most modern cars will pull timing to keep the engines from pinging, but how effective is that? long term is it wearing holes in the pistons? ruining plugs? burning cats?

At least with the Fords, they say you can run 87 in pretty much anything but the high performance stuff. Escapes, Fusions, F-150s, etc. can all be run on the lower grade.

In my F150 (2.7l tt) I definitely notice a difference in 87 vs 93. The manual says I can safely run 87 but that "best performance" or some such happens with premium. I mean, duh of course -- heavy truck with a tiny boosted motor. But I definitely notice the difference, so much so, that I just run 93 all the time. Edited by excell

GM’s little 1.5 and 1.4 turbo engines in the Malibu and Cruze (new stuff 2016 and up), claim 87 octane. I’ve also put a dozen or so sets of pistons in them. The big brother 2.0l turbo that’s basically the same engine requires premium. Can’t speak for Ford but GM runs these things lean anyway. Relying on the knock sensor to pull timing when gasoline is subpar or things get pushed is just stupid in my opinion. I suggest to people all the time to run at least 89 if they plan to keep the car. The lease returns and trade ins after the warranty runs out will likely be junk.

This article is a little misleading. ECMs (at least the cars I’ve delt with, even late model GMs) have an ignition timing table and logic to pull timing when the knock sensor picks up on it, typically a low timing table is used for the ECM to interpolate between when the knock sensors are reacting. Saying that it adds timing until it sees knock then corrects is bullshit. As a car enthusiast who takes care of his personal stuff using good fuel to prevent it in the first place is ideal. Unfortunately the average person is ill informed or simply doesn’t care and in a world where mileage and emission standards are king many of these engines will not last long term.

Edited by Cordell

It’s running fine on 87. Longevity is definitely a concern, except I turn in the MKC at around 70k miles anyway so neither I nor the fleet management company ultimately give a shit about the car once it goes to auction. :lol:

True - for personal cars that are designed for higher octane...you should run the recommended fuel if you want to see 150k+ miles, me thinks.

This FJ Cruiser says right on the fuel door to run premium.

Toyota later did a release saying that was only because that was the fuel used to get the MPG numbers but 87 is fine.

I still have run premium to this day.

I think every new car is smart enough to compensate for octane, but the owner may not be smart enough to not give it absolute hell while running shitty fuel.

90% of the time I run 87 in my 2011 3.5L Ecobootht F150. Been this way since 2011. A little better performance during the hotter months with 93, but not usually enough for me to spend the extra dough. If this was 2005 when 93 was $.20/gal more than 87, sure, i'd run that every time. Not when it's $.60/gal more though. I just don't feel I see the return on investment.

My 99 Acura TL said premium on the gas tank lid but I always used 87. It was still running fine at 200k when I got rid of it. I know cars are a lot different now. When I was looking a few years back I avoided any car that was premium only. Since my cars are boring it wasn’t a big deal. I do put premium in the Firebird but not in the Jeep or hondas.