I'm an idiot (plates question)

PRD2BDF

Figured it was automotive related so I posted here

This is completely foreign to me. My 45 days tag are up. I'm planning on transferring my plates to the Buick.

Now, am I supposed to go to the title office for any reasons or the dealer already took care of that? Do I just go to the registrar and tell them I need to transfer plates? I read their online FAQs but I'm still not sure.

Apologies for such a dumb question. This is my first new car so I'm not sure of the procedure

If it is a loan, you should have received a memo title from the bank/dealer. You will take the memo title to BMV and they will get you plates. Did you not trade the durango at the dealer? Is that why they put temp tags on the Buick?

Most dealers will transfer the plates for you when you bought the vehicle but you have to sometimes ask or make sure they did that

If they just have you a temp tag then yes you will need to take the Memo title down with you and transfer the plates over yourself IIRC it’s like $5 for a direct transfer could be more if going from car to a truck/suv

If it is a loan, you should have received a memo title from the bank/dealer. You will take the memo title to BMV and they will get you plates. Did you not trade the durango at the dealer? Is that why they put temp tags on the Buick?

All of this. Only thing I’d add is to take your old registration and plates so they can double check you no longer own the Durango.

I don't think you can transfer Tags between Trucks and Cars....

:dunno:

KillJoy

You can it’s just a added cost as suv/ truck registration costs more

Basic car to car transfer is like $5 I do it all the time .. You also do not need registration or anything they just ask what you did with the old car the plates came from and you just usually tell them you sold it or whatever the situation is