And another one! WWCRD?

coltboostin

Jordan happens to have a 2016 GTR available. Meets

I love Jordan and thats a great car, but that's sure to depreciate quickly IMO. nice car, fair price, not for me.

My S4 is an absolute blast for the simple stage 1 it is, I've heard doing the pulley really picks them up but I DD it and don't want the problems if shit breaks.. by far the most expensive upkeep car I have owned to date lol

What upkeep have you done so far?

Option three, .

Leaning that way ;)

Twin turbo 911 keep it stock looking built 1000 hp look a me factor check power check

I think I missed the boat on those being cheap.

Thing about that, is the only heads that will turn is that of mid 20 early 30s ricers. For 43k, Im buying a lot of cars before that. Similar to the supra, for the price you can just get so much more elsewhere.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What upkeep have you done so far?

Oil changes, every fluid flush, sport diff service, dsg service x2, supercharger oil, belts, tires x2, motor mounts (notorious for failing), cabin filter, windshield, transmission bushings..

I drive a lot, its a 15' bought with 33k and has 94k miles now. GIAC stage 1, AWE exhaust/DP's, ECS intake, lowered, sway bars, and wheels. Handles like a monster.

Buy the AudiCare Maintenance package, absolutely worth it. The 75k miles service is $1500 alone.

Thing about that, is the only heads that will turn is that of mid 20 early 30s ricers. For 43k, Im buying a lot of cars before that. Similar to the supra, for the price you can just get so much more elsewhere.

Fair enough. The MK4 stuff is just getting stupid pricey for a nice car US car. A buddy of mine is looking at a JDM MK4 to save a few bucks, still going big single.

Option 2.5, Audi TT RS... seems like a mini R8 to me. Yes, it is clearly Not exotic. But, you'll spend about half of the price of an R8 V8 for a car that's just as fast stock, and probably as fast as an R8 V10 with a few minor upgrades.

Option 3 R8 is a V8 or V10?

Seems like base price, per a super quick Autotader search, is about 60k for the V8 and 70k for the V10. I would be worried that the V8 would look exotic but not actually feel like it with essentially the same engine you can get in some RS models. Granted, I personally think those are special, but not special like something like an R8 should be. They would also probably all cost less than a similar age/mileage R8.

I had a similar decision to make about 6 years ago... I bought an air-cooled 911. NO REGRETS.

(also bought a LeBaron, sold a 996TT, and bought a C5Z)

If I could go back, I should have stretched the budget and bought a 997 GTR3RS or a Testarossa

Option 2.5, Audi TT RS... seems like a mini R8 to me.8.

I'll look into this.

Jp I tagged you on Facebook on a 6.0 supercharged c5z

Nice car, more than I want to spend on a C5 though. At this point, I am thinking less project, more cruiser.

I had a similar decision to make about 6 years ago... I bought an air-cooled 911. NO REGRETS.

(also bought a LeBaron, sold a 996TT, and bought a C5Z)

If I could go back, I should have stretched the budget and bought a 997 GTR3RS or a Testarossa

Well if you were in the same predicament TODAY, what would you buy? :)

BTW how are you liking the C5?

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1366219503556935/

I bought some 19" Volvo wheels off of this same guy. Saw the car in person and looked around it...it's a damn near perfect car from a garage that's set up by a guy who details cars and takes care of his stuff. I'd honestly be considering this thing if I was in the market...but I would consider it an addition to my house with the amount of time it would sit in the garage :lol:

TL;DR - 2004 911TT Cab blk/blk 106k miles modded w/ X50 package for $43k

My S4 is an absolute blast for the simple stage 1 it is, I've heard doing the pulley really picks them up but I DD it and don't want the problems if shit breaks.. by far the most expensive upkeep car I have owned to date lol

Stage II with the upgraded pulley is great and won't cause you any major issues. Just be aware that the cats will go at some point. Dual Pulley Stg 3 like mine began eating them after my first track session. I pulled quite a few runs that I'm sure cooked them. It's a pricey removal and an even more expensive replacement. $3k-4.5k total depending.

The other issue is the heat exchangers on either side of the supercharger. Their weak already and no replacements readily available aftermarket. $600-800 per if getting them replaced. Not difficult jobs but a PIA.

IMO, keep it Stg 1 and you'll greatly reduce the issues.

Jones had a TTRS early on, I believe Jordan at Jet ended up with the car when Jones switched to the GTR. Jordan may have some good insight on them if I recall. They are a heck of a car out of the box. Perhaps not exotic enough, but the noise they make is incredible.

Stage II with the upgraded pulley is great and won't cause you any major issues. Just be aware that the cats will go at some point. Dual Pulley Stg 3 like mine began eating them after my first track session. I pulled quite a few runs that I'm sure cooked them. It's a pricey removal and an even more expensive replacement. $3k-4.5k total depending.

The other issue is the heat exchangers on either side of the supercharger. Their weak already and no replacements readily available aftermarket. $600-800 per if getting them replaced. Not difficult jobs but a PIA.

IMO, keep it Stg 1 and you'll greatly reduce the issues.

agreed, i bought the vette to put stupid fast shit on and break haha

Jones had a TTRS . Perhaps not exotic enough, but the noise they make is incredible.

I font hate it....but it just looks, small. And not a good small. I feel the same way about an RS3. Its like the car the spoiled kid in High school gets. But, his Dad's DD is an S7.

Infiniti Q60 tune and simple bolt-ons has these cars in the low 11s high 10s

Great DD option

What if you go outside the box and get say a second hand GTM?

That screams project car to me. I dont have the desire for more than one.

A DD with adequate power and unique looks? Selling my G8 in spring, not many Hsv Gts look a likes running around town.

Yours is VERY nice!

SO, I had the opportunity to visit a friend who is an exotic car broker, and has a nice inventory. Of which, included an R8 and a 996 Turbo. I wanted to stop today on the way to look at a different 996 to see how I felt about the R8 as I honestly cant think of the last time I saw one in person.

Well, I liked it. Really, I LOVED it. In a room with several 996s, 991s GT3, A Lambo Murci, other cool shit...it stood out. This one also has a Valvetronic exhaust which make me forget it was a V8. It sounded completely exotic. It made me want to sell everything to own it. It made me not miss my vette, like at all.

20200217_184332-X2.jpg

20200217_184952-X2.jpg

20200217_185614-X2.jpg

20200217_185409-X2.jpg

And that thing under the cover is a Carrera GT

SO, I had the opportunity to visit a friend who is an exotic car broker, and has a nice inventory. Of which, included an R8 and a 996 Turbo. I wanted to stop today on the way to look at a different 996 to see how I felt about the R8 as I honestly cant think of the last time I saw one in person.

Well, I liked it. Really, I LOVED it. In a room with several 996s, 991s GT3, A Lambo Murci, other cool shit...it stood out. This one also has a Valvetronic exhaust which make me forget it was a V8. It sounded completely exotic. It made me want to sell everything to own it. It made me not miss my vette, like at all.

20200217_184332-X2.jpg

20200217_184952-X2.jpg

20200217_185614-X2.jpg

20200217_185409-X2.jpg

And that thing under the cover is a Carrera GT

Since your friends with Doug?, why not buy the RS2 he's selling?

my suggestion (cheap sleeper DD fun):

- 6.0L police caprice

- 6MT trans swap out of 5th/6th gen camaro

- carpet and seats out of a wrecked G8

- stupid cam, turbo, anything to get you to 600rwhp.

I figure you can do all of that for around $15K if you are resourceful. The hardest part would be finding a 6.0L caprice for less than $9K that doesn't smell like a wet dog shit into a burning dumpster in the back seat. If you can find a "detective trim" caprice, all you need to do is put in the carpet, and if the wife can't drive stick, won't even need to manual swap it (although that would make it really fun). Look like a downspec malibu, but beat up on errythang.

FWIW, I feel like the v8 R8 manual is the exotic you can drive every day. When I used to work in Manhattan, there was a guy in an R8 manual that used to arrive about the same time as me every day. He was a super douche canoe in the sense that he asked the garage attendants if they could drive stick every single time, but he daily drove that R8 from CT to 51st street and 1st ave every single day without issue. I even asked him about it once and he said it was the best car he ever owned. I don't trust audi DSGs after a friend of mine had a ton of problems with his S4, and I take the approach with audi's that the less the computer does for you the better off you are.

Since your friends with Doug?, why not buy the RS2 he's selling?

Cool car, but not what I am looking for.

my suggestion (cheap sleeper DD fun):

- 6.0L police caprice.....

Maybe I need to clarify a bit..... My c6z was FAST, with some FLASH, but with the mods was completely ludicrous and could not be driven by most. As much as the wife wanted to drive it, she cant. Most cant without hating life. The clutch/cam combo was ridiculous.

I consider my 535is a quick, CLASSY DD. It fits my family of 4 with ease. It runs 11.9. It has required nothing but oil changes for going on 5 years. It's silent and wildly comfortable at 90mph, and my wife can hop in it any time and go. Anything that replaces it, needs to at least meet these criteria. Anything that starts as a chevy caprice, no offense, will never end up classy. I also dont want a project here-at all.

My goals is to either find (2) cars or (1) splurge that checks that can check these boxes

1) Some FLASH. Something that I will look back at when I park it. Im not looking for a "sleeper". Here. If anything, the opposite. Odd? No. Rare or unique, YES/I]

2) Some QUICK It does not need to peel my face off (I have one of those and nothing will be as fast for my budget). But be able to be "peppy" or better

3) 3.5 season ability. So, I can drive it every day I want to.

4) If I splurge on one, big purchase, I want it to LOOK like I did when I open my garage, and not just when I open my wallet! LOL

Bonus points for-

Wife can drive it (she can drive stock)

Kids can come. Small back seats OK (think 911)

Low price, or little to no risk of depreciation. (this is almost mandatory)

To be clear I am 100% ok with keeping my BMW as the stable DD. I don't mind parking it outside. I don't mind anyone driving it. It checks all the boxes. I don't think I could check all these boxes with any other car for the price point.

has anyone here owned a Gen 3 or 4 Viper for more than a year?

Edited by coltboostin

Cool car, but not what I am looking for....

To be fair I "CR read it" which means I saw WWCRD and the $ and basically stopped reading and said what I would do with the money given the circumstance.

I consider my 535is a quick, CLASSY DD. It fits my family of 4 with ease. It runs 11.9. It has required nothing but oil changes for going on 5 years. It's silent and wildly comfortable at 90mph, and my wife can hop in it any time and go. Anything that replaces it, needs to at least meet these criteria. Anything that starts as a chevy caprice, no offense, will never end up classy. I also dont want a project here-at all.

To be faaaaaiiiir....there are few cars that do that. maybe an B7 RS4 audi with a stick would, an ATS-V, or an AMG Merc, but that's about it. I mean I think the Chevy SS might also fit, but as you said, anything that starts as a caprice isn't classy no matter how much leather and magnetic ride you through at it.

My goals is to either find (2) cars or (1) splurge that checks that can check these boxes

1) Some FLASH. Something that I will look back at when I park it. Im not looking for a "sleeper". Here. If anything, the opposite. Odd? No. Rare or unique, YES/I]

2) Some QUICK It does not need to peel my face off (I have one of those and nothing will be as fast for my budget). But be able to be "peppy" or better

3) 3.5 season ability. So, I can drive it every day I want to.

4) If I splurge on one, big purchase, I want it to LOOK like I did when I open my garage, and not just when I open my wallet! LOL

Bonus points for-

Wife can drive it (she can drive stock)

Kids can come. Small back seats OK (think 911)

Low price, or little to no risk of depreciation. (this is almost mandatory)

To be clear I am 100% ok with keeping my BMW as the stable DD. I don't mind parking it outside. I don't mind anyone driving it. It checks all the boxes. I don't think I could check all these boxes with any other car for the price point.

has anyone here owned a Gen 3 or 4 Viper for more than a year?

I feel like this has Porsche 911 all over it. Maybe not a Turbo, maybe something like a 997 or 991 targa in a striking and rare color. Aston Martin V8 vantage would also fall into this category as well as an XKR jaguar.