CoronaVirus

Forrest Gump 9

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well Trump is out there ranting about FAKE NEWS on twitter. I am truly shocked that the stock market hasn't responded favorably to this sort of powerful leadership.

People can rant about media hype all they want but the facts on the ground are that there are 500+ cases that we know of, and based on other countries and data we have that number can be expected to DOUBLE as little as every 3 days.

That means that, if it's not contained, 30k Americans will be infected by April. TWO MILLION infected by May. Thus is the nature of exponential growth. It makes absolutely no sense to talk about the number of infected right now, as though it will never spread. Because spread it has, and spread it will. The questions, then, are: can we contain it? and can our health care system handle the load? Those are both very difficult questions to answer, and I'm not getting any kind of warm fuzzies from the CDC and a bunch of governments (federal and state) that don't seem to be willing to take the kind of drastic measures that, say, Italy is currently taking. This is not about fake news or media hype right now, it's about a void of leadership.

The testing in the US is still VERY limited and I guarantee there are a lot more cases. As of Friday, less than 1900 people could be confirmed tested in all of the US.

China is testing ~1.5 million per week, South Korea is testing ~10,000 per day with drive through testing sites, but the US couldn't even get a test to someone that was sick until 4 days after they were dead. On a cruise ship full of 2000 people they could only air lift 46 tests for passengers. How is that adequate? Why did the US reject the WHO test that all other countries are using?

Now theres news about White House staff being concerned that Trump was exposed at CPAC (shook hands with a guy who had direct contact with the confirmed case) and are constantly wiping everything down with Clorox wipes. But the message to the people is it's a hoax.

Now, I'm not saying people should be in panic, and there are people over reacting, but there is also some action that should be taken in an attempt to slow the spread and not overwhelm hospitals. There should be more testing to understand how fast it's spreading and get better data on fatality rates.

https://medium.com/@davetroy/why-we-should-care-commonly-asked-questions-and-answers-about-covid-19-6b166f1876e9

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Who's panicking though?

"Last week Trump told aides he’s afraid journalists will try to purposefully contract coronavirus to give it to him on Air Force One, a person close to the administration told me. The source also said Trump has asked the Secret Service to set up a screening program and bar anyone who has a cough from the White House grounds. “He’s definitely melting down over this,” the source said.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2020/03/trump-germaphobe-in-chief-struggles-to-control-the-covid-19-story

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

There are people here in my facility this week from our corporate office in Seattle. Being a hands-on IT person, I can't work from home. I fix and replace hardware several times a day. There are parts of my job that I can do remote, just not all. My wife has an autoimmune disorder that if she gets sick, she's screwed.

She's asked me not to go to the gym for a while, which I get. But right now, my biggest risk is work. And I can't not go.

It's good news.

What do you sell?

Good news is good to hear.

I don't typically handle direct sales, but manage larger projects and contracted work for a big corporation that does lots of other things. We do a lot of HVAC controls and automation in Ohio Health facilities. Pressure controlled spaces like isolation/quarantine rooms are pretty popular topics these days.

Good news is good to hear.

I don't typically handle direct sales, but manage larger projects and contracted work for a big corporation that does lots of other things. We do a lot of HVAC controls and automation in Ohio Health facilities. Pressure controlled spaces like isolation/quarantine rooms are pretty popular topics these days.

I don't know who needs to hear this, but those things never seem to work right when you need them. lol.

I dont give ANY credibility to these kinds of "Aids". Anyone can say this....left news has been doing this to trump and really any republican since as long as I started paying attention to "news". The truth likely never gets out because people like you share bullshit. This same shit happened when Obama was in office. republicans tried to make up shit all the time to make him look incompetent or unable to do the job.

Its all bullshit. all of it. Wash your hands. You probably already have it and you'll get the sniffles unless you have COPD or current breathing complications.

We dont have anywhere near this kind of reaction to the flu every year, which is fair more worrisome based on numbers than this virus. This is a complete overreaction in response to something just because its clickbaity to post the horrors of a virus that we didnt know much about a few weeks ago.

We need to have equal and appropriate responses to things. If we dont, we will be crying wolf and that isn't good for anyone. Specially when something really hits us that is bad. From what we know now, this isn't it.

We dont have anywhere near this kind of reaction to the flu every year, which is fair more worrisome based on numbers than this virus.

Thats the part i totally don't get. Everyone is cancelling shit like its the end of the world, but really its just another strain of the flu right? survival rate is is like 99.7% if you are under 60 years old.

In places that have been hit hard by this, the local health care infrastructure has been completely overwhelmed by the influx of patients requiring hospitalization. China has built brand new hospitals just to deal with this.

Now ask yourself, if this is "just another strain of the flu," then why can't the current health care infrastructure deal with a heavily infected area? Can the current health care infrastructure not handle seasonal flu cases? Pretty sure that's not the case, so maybe your assumption is wrong, and this isn't just another flu that we don't need to be worried about.

The death rate is high, much higher than the flu. Hospitalization rates are higher as well. It ends up that a pandemic doesn't need to have a 20% death rate in order to cripple our infrastructure. 2% appears to be plenty. This is why governments have been taking drastic action.

We dont have anywhere near this kind of reaction to the flu every year, which is fair more worrisome based on numbers than this virus. This is a complete overreaction in response to something just because its clickbaity to post the horrors of a virus that we didnt know much about a few weeks ago.

We need to have equal and appropriate responses to things. If we dont, we will be crying wolf and that isn't good for anyone. Specially when something really hits us that is bad. From what we know now, this isn't it.

The problem isn't the mortality rate of the virus by itself. This issue is when you combine how infectious it is, the ability to spread while not showing symptoms, and the rate at which it causes breathing issues that require medical intervention. If the spread is completely uncontrolled the spike of infections will overwhelm the healthcare system.

So if the mortality rate is normally 2% but medical intervention is needed in 10% of cases what happens to the people that need medical help when there is no more. Then we have to start making triage decisions about who gets treated and leaving the rest to recover on their own(or likely not). This will cause a huge spike in the mortality rate.

Healthy young people, ok sure you're not going to die from it and it's just a flu. That still doesn't lessen the effect of spreading it too quickly and us losing a portion of our population measured in whole number percentages.

If we wait to try to contain it until the healthcare system is stressed then we waited about a week too long. The next much larger round of patients would already be infected and spreading it, just not showing symptoms yet.

There is no containment possible, the only goal is to slow the spread and smooth out the spike.

In places that have been hit hard by this, the local health care infrastructure has been completely overwhelmed by the influx of patients requiring hospitalization. China has built brand new hospitals just to deal with this.

China built a hospital in a month? impressive!

In places that have been hit hard by this

you mean like china? where they have 3rd world living conditions for most of the hard hit areas?