CoronaVirus

Forrest Gump 9

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how can DeWine say Ohio has 100k cases with a straight face?

I've come to believe a lot of the .govs plan of action is to scare the ever-loving shit out of everyone so that they truly do follow the recommendation to socially distance themselves from others, thereby slowing the spread. If they went at it half heartedly, I don't think anyone would pay attention to them and the situation would be much worse than its already going to be.

Most people are going to get it at some point. The idea is to avoid everyone getting it at once and overloading the healthcare system as it simply cannot handle the surge.

This is what was happening in Italy 2 days ago. Yesterday they had an additional 250 deaths. The US is about 11 days behind their infection rate, and this is why the action taken was necessary.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/12/world/europe/12italy-coronavirus-health-care.amp.html%3f0p19G=3248

This chart is already several days old though:5dc2bfea569be719914f01e09351efdb.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

11 million people in the state of ohio, 1% infected rate = 110,000 people infected

Yeah, but that's, like, only if you believe the top public health expert in the state, and who believes anyone in a position of authority with access to the most information and a lifetime of expertise anymore? Gotta go with your gut.

/s

This is what was happening in Italy 2 days ago. Yesterday they had an additional 250 deaths. The US is about 11 days behind their infection rate, and this is why the action taken was necessary.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/12/world/europe/12italy-coronavirus-health-care.amp.html%3f0p19G=3248

This chart is already several days old though:5dc2bfea569be719914f01e09351efdb.jpg

k

Fair point, but. Italy (60 million) US (327 million), so the percentages are far, far smaller. Also, 55% of ALL cases in Italy are in ONE city, which is exasperating the issue.

Hospitals,

70 Main, 30 small or private, total, in Italy

Over 6000 hospitals in the US.

I dont think I need to explain the relevancy here, or a stance on how the US is better equipped to deal with this, and why it would never turn into an "Italy" situation.

But, staying ahead of it is better than flagrant disregard.

https://jalopnik.com/how-to-pretend-youre-working-from-home-when-youre-reall-1842317467

Because the struggle is real.

LOL @ Trump for a string of the worst press conferences and ill-timed/messaged tweets ever. I thought we were only going to see 15 cases? Didn't Kellyanne Conway say that we had this under control a week or so ago? :lol:

Fair point, but. Italy (60 million) US(327 million), so the percentages are far, far smaller.

Hospitals,

70 Main, 30 small or private, total, in Italy

Over 6000 hospitals in the US.

I dont think I need to explain the relevancy here, or a stance on how the US is better equipped to deal with this, and why it would never turn into an "Italy" situation.

But, staying ahead of it is better than flagrant disregard.

The outbreak in Italy is isolated to the north, for now. In the US it's already all over the place. The supply shortage is still very real in the US. My coworker's dad is a doctor in a decent sized hospital in Michigan. Yesterday they said they only had 8 hazmat suits and were already running out of masks. I've talked to others who are on statewide calls with health services and they say it's a already a disaster, and this is with only 26 confirmed cases for now.

https://jalopnik.com/how-to-pretend-youre-working-from-home-when-youre-reall-1842317467

Because the struggle is real.

LOL @ Trump for a string of the worst press conferences and ill-timed/messaged tweets ever. I thought we were only going to see 15 cases? Didn't Kellyanne Conway say that we had this under control a week or so ago? [emoji38]

Lol, not only were the press conferences bad, but did you see that the cameras were on before and after his tv address and he didnt know it?

The outbreak in Italy is isolated to the north, for now. In the US it's already all over the place. The supply shortage is still very real in the US. My coworker's dad is a doctor in a decent sized hospital in Michigan. Yesterday they said they only had 8 hazmat suits and were already running out of masks. I've talked to others who are on statewide calls with health services and they say it's a already a disaster, and this is with only 26 confirmed cases for now.

You (and much of America it seems) is buying into the panic over a bad cold with a name.

You (and much of America it seems) is buying into the panic over a bad cold with a name.
I am not panicking, I'm being realistic about where this is headed. The words disaster were not mine, they were from the doctors on the statewide call. The reason they said this is they are short on supplies to deal with the influx of patients because 1) this has already been a very busy flu season up here with hospitals already closing to visitors at times before this came about, and 2) everyone with the sniffles wants to come in for a test, so for better or worse theres a surge of people coming in.

I wouldn't really call it a cold with a name, I'd say it's pneumonia that's spreading easily and can affect people with varying severity.

Unless you're not planning to be within transmission distance of another person for the next 2 months treating this thing so minimally is pretty selfish and irresponsible. I think it's a similarly poor choice to encourage that mindset.

I'm not concerned about the impacts this may have on my health personally, as I'm healthy and 33 years old. However, I have a 60 year old father who has recently received a hip transplant and is at high risk, and I have a grandma (88) and Grandpa (94) who are both at extremely high risk and still living in their own. My situation isn't super uncommon, really.

My wife and I have chosen to inconvenience ourselves in order to limit our risk of getting this and/or spreading it to others. I'm doing what I can to NOT be a carrier, an easy hop in the chain to worsen the spread and elevate the peak intensity. I can't understand why others who aren't personally at risk can't/won't view it this way and continue to minimize it like crazy.

Unless you're not planning to be within transmission distance of another person for the next 2 months treating this thing so minimally is pretty selfish and irresponsible. I think it's a similarly poor choice to encourage that mindset.

I'm not concerned about the impacts this may have on my health personally, as I'm healthy and 33 years old. However, I have a 60 year old father who has recently received a hip transplant and is at high risk, and I have a grandma (88) and Grandpa (94) who are both at extremely high risk and still living in their own. My situation isn't super uncommon, really.

My wife and I have chosen to inconvenience ourselves in order to limit our risk of getting this and/or spreading it to others. I'm doing what I can to NOT be a carrier, an easy hop in the chain to worsen the spread and elevate the peak intensity. I can't understand why others who aren't personally at risk can't/won't view it this way and continue to minimize it like crazy.

I’m with you. Not everyone has the luxury of living by themselves or have no dependents. I’m in a neighborhood that more than half of the street are seniors citizens. If shit hit the fan my street would be light up with ambulances.

And at the end of this, they will still have 8 hazmat suits because they aren't needed for this.

The prevailing theory is that it only requires droplet precautions (regular surgical mask, gloves, impervious gown), however, to err on the side of caution, we (the country) will continue to treat it with airborne precautions (swap surgical mask for N96 or PAPR) just to cover our ass.

Still, the virus isn't the big problem; it's the load its going to put on the healthcare system. It cannot handle a massive surge of even mild to moderately ill patients. Grant is usually stuffed to the gills on a daily basis without COVID-19 patients. It's a daily struggle to sort out patient throughput. Adding these caseloads on is going to be quite a challenge, for every hospital. Factor in that healthcare workers are also going to start getting sick and calling off, or dealing with family issues and whatnot, and your already short staffed places (pretty much all of them) are going to be hurting. I'm not looking forward to the next few weeks.

I hear you. We will see what the next few weeks brings. Like it or hate it, we are HERE now. Everything is canceled. We are under an unprecedented level of required containment.

The next week hopefully will wake some people up and more will treat this seriously. No need for panic but smart decisions need to be made. A lot of people are going to die in the next few weeks/months and that's even with us trying to get in front of it.