CoronaVirus

Forrest Gump 9

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gotta go into the office, pick up the truck, fill it with chemicals, get gas, possibly interact with clients... it's not like licking railings in a hospital but it's still potential exposure. Is it necessary exposure? No.

I read that as the Homeowner(s) were doing it.

YMMV

KillJoy

yes, there were at least 3 professional (weedpro) people out riding those spreader machines, also saw a truckload of people that were hauling a trailer with lawn care equipment.

My guess is that they still want paid, so they are pushing ahead with their duties until told otherwise.

I learned yesterday that spreading fertilizer on the lawns around our neighborhood is "essential" .... :wtf:

This represents what I think is a major issue with the current order and its exemptions, basically labeling entire industries/companies as "essential", without clarifying which activities should be included or excluded. A ton of construction that shouldn't be continuing is ongoing, just because so many companies are using the exemptions as a free pass to continue business as usual (+ hand sanitizer and a "don't get close to eachother" pep talk/email).

I get that landscape companies do serve critical roles in some places, keeping leaves picked up so drainage systems don't clog, keeping bushes trimmed and grass mowed around entrances to critical facilities etc. I mean, I understand that very large companies often don't have landscaping equipment of their own and it's not reasonable to let everything grow out of control for 2-3 months, but the normal fertilizing, mulching, spring planting etc. shouldn't be ongoing.

Along those same lines, construction trades should definitely stay operational to continue performing support roles for essential facilities. If there's an electrical failure of local hospital equipment, or a mechanical failure at a facility producing ventilators/masks/gloves/whatever, or heating equipment goes down in the ICU wing of the hospital, then those "essential" companies should keep a skeleton crew on call to support those "essential" needs. The local apartment complex under construction (with no water supply to wash hands, and only 2 port-johns for 30 dudes to share) should NOT continue work onsite. Similarly, the construction of the new White Castle corporate office maybe shouldn't continue working, and Mom and Pop HVAC inc should probably hold off on upgrading the CVS thermostat to a flashy touchscreen model, but what do I know...

The "plain language" of the order is supposed to be reasonably interpreted by companies individually, sending staff out in to the world only where truly "essential" needs are being met. From where I sit though, it's definitely being misused where companies are just looking for places that aren't shutdown to send their employees, taking the position that barely making payroll is less paperwork than furloughs and unemployment filings. There's no good answer, it's a shit show.

Edited by spankis

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-27/trump-threatens-to-force-gm-to-move-faster-on-ventilators

Trump really has no clue: he brags that everything is great and he doesn't need to invoke Defense Production Act, and then not 24 hours later blasts the industrial companies on TWITTER that are working around the clock on their dollar to convert facilities to manufacture ventilators.

There's only two ways to look at this:

- Trump is inept at getting his administration to work with corporates volunteering to help.

- Trump truly doesn't care, telling all of us everything is going well and passing the buck to companies as their failure to deliver.

Either way, shocking lack of leadership. Not surprising...just another example, unfortunately.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-27/trump-threatens-to-force-gm-to-move-faster-on-ventilators

Trump really has no clue: he brags that everything is great and he doesn't need to invoke Defense Production Act, and then not 24 hours later blasts the industrial companies on TWITTER that are working around the clock on their dollar to convert facilities to manufacture ventilators.

There's only two ways to look at this:

- Trump is inept at getting his administration to work with corporates volunteering to help.

- Trump truly doesn't care, telling all of us everything is going well and passing the buck to companies as their failure to deliver.

Either way, shocking lack of leadership. Not surprising...just another example, unfortunately.

One minute he doesn't think we need all these ventilators ("some hospitals just have 1"), the next he's having a melt down because the auto companies aren't going to make highly needed respirators! But it's his own fault because his administration thinks it costs too much to retool an automotive plant to make medical equipment. Keep in mind that the money for this is coming from FEMA, which has something like $40 billion on hand.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

My guess is that they still want paid, so they are pushing ahead with their duties until told otherwise.

This

This represents what I think is a major issue with the current order and its exemptions, basically labeling entire industries/companies as "essential", without clarifying which activities should be included or excluded. A ton of construction that shouldn't be continuing is ongoing, just because so many companies are using the exemptions as a free pass to continue business as usual (+ hand sanitizer and a "don't get close to eachother" pep talk/email).

This is the biggest issue. So many people are looking for loopholes to continue operations forcing people out when they really shouldn't be.

GM LOL https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/trump-criticizes-gm-ceo-mary-barra-for-wanting-top-dollar-for-producing-ventilators/ar-BB11NQWf?ocid=spartanntp

Stimulus bill is a bummer, lol. Don't they know that this is 'Merica, higher income means higher bills!

I do think that the unemployment increase makes more sense than the checks.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Wow.

It is absolutely aggravating how so many people continue not to take this seriously. We're like 10 days away from our (Columbus) hospitals being war zones and we're still fighting this perception that it's "just another flu" or a "media scare" and we'll all be back to normal by Easter.

Dude, I'm sorry but its just not to that level. There are 1100 cases in Ohio, worst case hospitalization rate is about 15%, thats 165 beds. The American Hospital Directory says theres over 27000 beds in Ohio, and average about 65% full, that leaves 9,445 beds. Then you have to account for all the people that will be discharged in that time before the new cases come in.

Franklin county specifically there's been 61 cases and 9 hospitalizations. Calm down

Dude, I'm sorry but its just not to that level. There are 1100 cases in Ohio, worst case hospitalization rate is about 15%, thats 165 beds. The American Hospital Directory says theres over 27000 beds in Ohio, and average about 65% full, that leaves 9,445 beds. Then you have to account for all the people that will be discharged in that time before the new cases come in.

Franklin county specifically there's been 61 cases and 9 hospitalizations. Calm down

Along those lines, reports from two docs I talk with regularly at Ohio Health / riverside is they operate around 800-900 beds on a regular basis, and are running around 300 right now. Due to non electives and shelter in place aka stay away if at all possible. They are sending doc's and Nurses home to help save labor costs currently as they wait for the barrage which is told to be coming. The hospital systems in Ohio also are standing to loose 30 billion due to this, taking local small hospital systems to the brink solvency. Ohio Health no, they have 480 days of burn rate ready to go, Fairfield and your rural hospitals avg just 90 days. Just to draw some relation to the economic impacts, in and even essential environment. Yes this some 1st hand intel with some off the cuff banter, and it could/ probably will change with time to and overwhelmed system. But it sounds like the prep level is decent considering a lack of precedence.

We just really cant get the anti body test fast enough. (HSIC is claiming to have it) It will paint the clearest picture of where the country stands and how we can move forward; the current testing protocols and data set really are poor examples of the large picture, which is why so many models are being updated and thankfully downgraded on severity. My personal opinion (from reading a large amount none professional aka meaningless) is this virus has penetrated 4x 5x the amount of cases we know about like Dr. Acton mentioned claiming around 100,000 Ohio-ians 'likely' have had or have the virus.

It sounds to me the Fed is thinking about a potential strategy to release restrictions on areas where say 20% or a determined amount of the localized area is tested then crosses a threshold for herd immunity which allows the hospitals to stay under capacity and operating. Thus allowing the work force to get back to it with relative normalcy. I believe they are going to district these mandates and shrink the scope of restrictions to much more tightly managed areas and try to juggle this virus as it crops up in areas vs broad casted nets. Just a hunch, at-least until the magic bullets Trump thinks exist, actually exist.

Exponential growth is a bitch. 10 days ago we had 67 cases, now we're adding hundreds every day. The models say we'll be adding thousands of cases per day very soon, and Dr Acton says it's possible that the peak could be 10k new cases per day. With a 15% hospitalization rate those empty beds are not going to stay empty for long.

We can revisit this post in 2 weeks but I'm not saying anything the governor isn't saying.

Along those lines, reports from two docs I talk with regularly at Ohio Health / riverside is they operate around 800-900 beds on a regular basis, and are running around 300 right now. Due to non electives and shelter in place aka stay away if at all possible. They are sending doc's and Nurses home to help save labor costs currently as they wait for the barrage which is told to be coming. The hospital systems in Ohio also are standing to loose 30 billion due to this, taking local small hospital systems to the brink solvency. Ohio Health no, they have 480 days of burn rate ready to go, Fairfield and your rural hospitals avg just 90 days. Just to draw some relation to the economic impacts, in and even essential environment. Yes this some 1st hand intel with some off the cuff banter, and it could/ probably will change with time to and overwhelmed system. But it sounds like the prep level is decent considering a lack of precedence.

We just really cant get the anti body test fast enough. (HSIC is claiming to have it) It will paint the clearest picture of where the country stands and how we can move forward; the current testing protocols and data set really are poor examples of the large picture, which is why so many models are being updated and thankfully downgraded on severity. My personal opinion (from reading a large amount none professional aka meaningless) is this virus has penetrated 4x 5x the amount of cases we know about like Dr. Acton mentioned claiming around 100,000 Ohio-ians 'likely' have had or have the virus.

It sounds to me the Fed is thinking about a potential strategy to release restrictions on areas where say 20% or a determined amount of the localized area is tested then crosses a threshold for herd immunity which allows the hospitals to stay under capacity and operating. Thus allowing the work force to get back to it with relative normalcy. I believe they are going to district these mandates and shrink the scope of restrictions to much more tightly managed areas and try to juggle this virus as it crops up in areas vs broad casted nets. Just a hunch, at-least until the magic bullets Trump thinks exist, actually exist.

While that's a happy thought, keep in mind that the hospitals up here in Detroit have been overwhelmed and reached capacity in a matter of days. The tide can quickly change.

The thing about the shelter-in-place order is, if it works to limit the spread of the virus, many will say it was all overblown hype and we stayed at home for nothing. But if we do nothing the hospitals would quickly be overloaded.

While that's a happy thought, keep in mind that the hospitals up here in Detroit have been overwhelmed and reached capacity in a matter of days. The tide can quickly change.

The thing about the shelter-in-place order is, if it works to limit the spread of the virus, many will say it was all overblown hype and we stayed at home for nothing. But if we do nothing the hospitals would quickly be overloaded.

Compound growth, yes get it. I am not stating that is is overblown I believe the necessary steps are being taken at this moment, as not to say that can change either direction. Being optimistic is not a crime, the self righteous statements blow me away and the need to spiteful, desire to feel validated with the "I told you so" idiocy it more depressing then the virus. But thats culture today.

Taking away some limbic functioning and enlisting pre frontal cortex and this problem looks different especially with proper anti body testing protocols and quality data (all not easy tasks). Thats my take away. I am curious to understand the true scope of this which is likely much greater then our comprehension as it stands currently. It would be very interesting to know that the mortality rate is lower, the contraction rate is higher, along with higher levels of immunity; which doesn't change the fact the system is still overwhelmed sadly I get that. We will likely never know saturation data at this point in time, or points in time to justify policies and actions taken.

This information is interesting from the princess cruise ship in a hyper infectious environment micro study. https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/24/us/diamond-princess-cruise-ship-asymptomatic-tests/index.html?fbclid=IwAR1WRanLFKGUr6O7qGjd2I66qeFlU8NWgxoU7DxvKs_VUfgiN-yw00V1ioE

I do feel life is greater then economics, hopefully everyone makes it thru this.