CoronaVirus

Forrest Gump 9

Compound growth, yes get it. I am not stating that is is overblown I believe the necessary steps are being taken at this moment, as not to say that can change either direction. Being optimistic is not a crime, the self righteous statements blow me away and the need to spiteful, desire to feel validated with the "I told you so" idiocy it more depressing then the virus. But thats culture today.

Taking away some limbic functioning and enlisting pre frontal cortex and this problem looks different especially with proper anti body testing protocols and quality data (all not easy tasks). Thats my take away. I am curious to understand the true scope of this which is likely much greater then our comprehension as it stands currently. It would be very interesting to know that the mortality rate is lower, the contraction rate is higher, along with higher levels of immunity; which doesn't change the fact the system is still overwhelmed sadly I get that. We will likely never know saturation data at this point in time, or points in time to justify policies and actions taken.

This information is interesting from the princess cruise ship in a hyper infectious environment micro study. https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/24/us/diamond-princess-cruise-ship-asymptomatic-tests/index.html?fbclid=IwAR1WRanLFKGUr6O7qGjd2I66qeFlU8NWgxoU7DxvKs_VUfgiN-yw00V1ioE

I do feel life is greater then economics, hopefully everyone makes it thru this.

I don't think anything I wrote was self righteous or condescending, just warning about how quickly things changed around here. Even so, we still have people in MI that don't take this seriously, going so far as to say, "there aren't many cases in my county, don't tell me how to live my life."

I agree 100% in the need for more testing and the antibody test. It's definitely more widespread than the numbers show. We're only counting the severe cases right now. It will bring the mortality rate down, but it seems to be extremely contagious (more than the CDC guidelines call out), and the hospitalization rate and time is high.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude, I'm sorry but its just not to that level. There are 1100 cases in Ohio, worst case hospitalization rate is about 15%, thats 165 beds. The American Hospital Directory says theres over 27000 beds in Ohio, and average about 65% full, that leaves 9,445 beds. Then you have to account for all the people that will be discharged in that time before the new cases come in.

Franklin county specifically there's been 61 cases and 9 hospitalizations. Calm down

Do you really believe we only have 1100 cases? I'm guessing you also believe Wuhan that has a population of 11 million only had 80k.

We only have 1100 cases because we aren't testing enough people.

Do you really believe we only have 1100 cases? I'm guessing you also believe Wuhan that has a population of 11 million only had 80k.

China did not include positive test results in their case count if the individual was asymptomatic. Their numbers were (and are) higher.

If the cases are higher that means there's more cases with mild to no symptoms, that makes the virus even less dangerous. Just a theory, but my theory is a large number of the severe cases are actually coinfections with the H1N1, Amy acton admitted that it's possible but no one is testing for it. They attack respiratory cells from different angles and can be devastating when they're both present.

As far as exponential growth, super scary, but if it doubles every 3 days that means the last 3 days accounts for 50% of the population. That growth rate just isn't sustainable. Yes the wuhan can be bad and flare ups can happen anywhere, but Ohio is doing pretty well right now.

If the cases are higher that means there's more cases with mild to no symptoms, that makes the virus even less dangerous.

The asymptomatic patients who aren't staying home are still spreading it.

The % isn't necessarily what gets you. Even if it's a low % that end up hospitalized, that physical number is going to overwhelm the healthcare system, even here in Ohio.

Just a theory, but my theory is a large number of the severe cases are actually coinfections with the H1N1, Amy acton admitted that it's possible but no one is testing for it.

Incorrect. We are testing for H1N1 as well because it shows up on your normal respiratory PCR panel. H1N1 isn't the problem. COVID-19 (positives and rule-outs) is the problem and is only going to get worse. Because numbers.

Ohio is doing pretty well right now.

Right now. The hospitals are clearing out in anticipation of surging. Our census at Grant is about half of what it normally is on a regular day (which brings up other questions for me...).

Testing is the big slowdown right now but it's getting better. Initial results were taking upwards of 7 days, now most are 24-48 hours with some being as quick as 6hr. Sitting on a patient for 7 days while you wait for results to come back is a huge killer of resources, so the fact that they are turning them around much more quickly is greatly appreciated.

The thing that I wish they'd report is # of recoveries or should we add ICU/Hospitalizations/deaths then subtract that from confirmed cases.

But I think we'd have to subtract ICU and Hospitalizations as if your in ICU you are in the hospital then add deaths to get the # of recoveries,

Testing is the big slowdown right now but it's getting better. Initial results were taking upwards of 7 days, now most are 24-48 hours with some being as quick as 6hr. Sitting on a patient for 7 days while you wait for results to come back is a huge killer of resources, so the fact that they are turning them around much more quickly is greatly appreciated.

Is that whats happening? If someone has symptoms they sit at the hospital for however long it takes to get results? Then what? Does their plan of care change?

Ive read a couple places that the test don't matter positive or negative in regards to people that dont need "hospital care" and that the patients should have just stayed home. Because if the results were negative when they went in there is a good chance they are positive now after being around a bunch of sick/infected people. And if they were positive but dont need special care they send them home anyway.

I feel like the hysteria is causing anyone and everyone to go to ER which causes all the issues. If people that weren't having breathing issues/ major symptoms would stay home and self isolate it would solve much of the problem in regards to overloading the health care system. Maybe Im missing something.

I don't think anything I wrote was self righteous or condescending, just warning about how quickly things changed around here. Even so, we still have people in MI that don't take this seriously, going so far as to say, "there aren't many cases in my county, don't tell me how to live my life."

I agree 100% in the need for more testing and the antibody test. It's definitely more widespread than the numbers show. We're only counting the severe cases right now. It will bring the mortality rate down, but it seems to be extremely contagious (more than the CDC guidelines call out), and the hospitalization rate and time is high.

Sorry my intent was not to direct that comment at your response at all. Moreover that virtue signaling/ or self righteous is rampant as and observation I have been seeing in general.

My father in law was admitted to OSU last week for heart/kidney issues.

They put him in the corona virus area until his test came back, then moved him to another floor.

Yes the test was negative, but from what I understand, everyone admitted gets tested

Has anyone heard from Kerry? He's in NYC isn't he??

Is that whats happening? If someone has symptoms they sit at the hospital for however long it takes to get results? Then what? Does their plan of care change?.

If they come in fitting any semblance of criteria for being COVID-19 (+), they will be tested appropriately and admitted to their required level of care.

If they don't require admission, I don't think we're testing them, i.e. we aren't just testing every schmuck who walks in the door and wants it. In fact, we aren't even letting them in the door at all as we have triage tents setup outside.

We have designated areas throughout the hospital where we are putting suspected/positive patients. We treat them as positive until confirmed otherwise. If they come back negative, they will be sent to another area for non-COVID patients. The problem is, we are burning through PPE while we await test results. That's why a fast turn around time for results is so important; it saves other valuable resources.

The asymptomatic patients who aren't staying home are still spreading it.

The % isn't necessarily what gets you. Even if it's a low % that end up hospitalized, that physical number is going to overwhelm the healthcare system, even here in Ohio.

Incorrect. We are testing for H1N1 as well because it shows up on your normal respiratory PCR panel. H1N1 isn't the problem. COVID-19 (positives and rule-outs) is the problem and is only going to get worse. Because numbers

Right now. The hospitals are clearing out in anticipation of surging. Our census at Grant is about half of what it normally is on a regular day (which brings up other questions for me...).

I appreciate the good info, what I was reading is once covid is positive they ignored other tests, I'm glad to see that's not the case. Thanks for the hospital insight as well

The thing that I wish they'd report is # of recoveries or should we add ICU/Hospitalizations/deaths then subtract that from confirmed cases.

But I think we'd have to subtract ICU and Hospitalizations as if your in ICU you are in the hospital then add deaths to get the # of recoveries,

They keep track of recoveries. Try this site, it's continually updated with the latest info.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

If you click on USA you can see the breakdown by state.

I appreciate the good info, what I was reading is once covid is positive they ignored other tests, I'm glad to see that's not the case. Thanks for the hospital insight as well
In my area, as of the middle of this past week, you couldn't get the COVID-19 test unless you tested negative for the flu and required hospitalization. Otherwise, you would be sent home. In this case I could see it being possible that you have H1N1 and COVID-19 but have the COVID-19 inflection remain unknown. But the way they were giving tests you wouldn't be COVID-19 positive with unknown H1N1.

I think he was just stir crazy..I've been stuck here with my wife for almost 2 weeks and am not far far off of biting someone to death..lol

We heard gunshots down the road, we just figured someone out that way was bored plinking in the yard or just decided to skip the divorce. Though, this way gun fire all around is normal since it is WV and heavy wooded areas n all.