CoronaVirus

Forrest Gump 9

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

USA #1 (in coronavirus cases).
So much winning.

Indiana -> https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2673015442980012&id=2100173283597567

State Legislators had a conference call with hospital administrators from across Indiana today. The news is very grim, but important for everyone to know – please feel free to share this:

One hospital in a county with no positive cases is seeing a huge increase in respiratory illness, which is most likely attributable to COVID-19, but they are only ordering tests for 3-4 people a day, and results for those are taking over a week to get back now. They are nearly out of test swabs.

Another hospital has over 40 patients under investigation, but has only sent out tests on a majority of them. Five cases are very suspicious, but they still don’t have test results back. They are limiting testing only to those in critical condition. Their PPE (masks, gloves, etc.) levels are very critical, with maybe two weeks left – and no source of resupply. They said not to believe that the federal government is helping. They only received 100 masks from the strategic reserve shipment.

Another small rural hospital is concerned about making payroll, and has no idea where revenue or resupplies will be coming from. It has closed satellite rural health clinics and is asking employees to take time off in the middle of this emergency to try to stay open.

A large urban provider says the peak patient time will be in six weeks, and they do not have enough beds or ventilators for that peak. They are already having discussions about how to ration ventilators and decide who will be able to get one. They have stopped surgeries in most surgery centers to open new COVID-19 wings. They are starting to get help from a private partner to test their employees, but their PPE is running out. They don’t know when they will get any PPE resupply. They have been told by manufacturers like 3M, that the manufacturers are being told to send their inventory to Seattle and New York. They say COVID-19 is much more contagious than SARS, MERS, or the flu, and at peak, the number of patients will lead to not enough beds being available to handle normal emergencies like heart attacks and strokes.

A mid-size rural provider is concerned that there is not enough PPE right now for home healthcare workers and nursing homes. They don’t believe any help from the federal government is coming, so they are trying to get local businesses set up to manufacture new PPE for them. They don’t have enough test kits, and no drive-thru testing is available in their area.

All of these hospitals are losing revenue dramatically. They are all running very low on PPE. They are trying to cut expenses to stay open. Employees are dropping off to quarantines, and those that are left are often struggling to find child care. The employees are also afraid.

We are working on help. At the state level that could be in the form of DSH (Disproportionate Share Hospital) payments, delay of Hospital Assessment fees and other payments to the state. They are also working with the Governor on administrative and regulatory actions that might help. But they are mainly hoping for Congress to come through with cash relief.

TLDR: The hospitals of Indiana do not have enough tests available to test even the sickest patients, they are running out of PPE with no known resupply, and they do not think they will have the resources to adequately handle the peak COVID-19 case load about six weeks from now. They are hemorrhaging cash, their employees are already having a very difficult time, and their ability to provide non-COVID-19 health care will be compromised. COVID-19 is incredibly infectious - If you are in contact with someone who has COVID-19 you will get it. They said they best way to have blunted the spread was to have started widespread testing and isolation two weeks ago, but that now it is probably too late.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I can only imagine what hell is going to break loose here in WV. They can't handle daily operations or demand in the hospital as it is, let alone anything like this. Our local hospital is already so overcrowded that simple services and even doctor visits are terrible.

Not shocked by that update. The union at my company has already said things are bad in michigan. I would hate to see how many cases ca/ny end up with given they are a larger importing hub for the country
We have 60 deaths in MI so far, and 52 of them are in 3 counties (metro Detroit).

There are 2,856 cases with 1,866 being in those same 3 counties, and that's with lots of people being untested and not counted in these totals.

I heard Trump say we're testing more people than South Korea now, but that's not reflected in any data coming out of the hospitals, so I'm not sure what he's talking about.

trump is doing a bad job at spinning flawed statistics numbers. compare the percent per individual. at this point due to the lack of testing since it's a new virus, no one really knows anything concrete at this point. I have a feeling it's only a matter of time before transportation companies stop sending there drivers to various parts of the country essential or not.

tennis courts a lincoln high school in gahanna were packed today. even several former osu players who turned pro were out there practicing today.

It's nice to see people putting the needs of others first /sarcasm

If you're business as usual right now you're a sorry ass piece of shit.

tennis courts a lincoln high school in gahanna were packed today. even several former osu players who turned pro were out there practicing today.

Just avoid handling other peoples balls and you aren't likely to catch anything. It's just good general life advise as well.

Just avoid handling other peoples balls and you aren't likely to catch anything. It's just good general life advise as well.
Right lol. Plus I think you're allowed government sanctioned outdoor exercise and activities under the governor's order. But you need to stay 6feet away from others I think.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Since I still have to be at work, I've been going out at lunch and running, walking, or roller blading around the Arena District. It's been pretty dead, but there were more people out yesterday. Roller blading has been nice, because there's so few cars and people out, I'm not in really in any danger of running into anyone... :lol:

Since I still have to be at work, I've been going out at lunch and running, walking, or roller blading around the Arena District. It's been pretty dead, but there were more people out yesterday. Roller blading has been nice, because there's so few cars and people out, I'm not in really in any danger of running into anyone... :lol:

I need to get some roller blades!

I learned yesterday that spreading fertilizer on the lawns around our neighborhood is "essential" .... :wtf:

Wow.

It is absolutely aggravating how so many people continue not to take this seriously. We're like 10 days away from our (Columbus) hospitals being war zones and we're still fighting this perception that it's "just another flu" or a "media scare" and we'll all be back to normal by Easter.

Wow.

It is absolutely aggravating how so many people continue not to take this seriously. We're like 10 days away from our (Columbus) hospitals being war zones and we're still fighting this perception that it's "just another flu" or a "media scare" and we'll all be back to normal by Easter.

https://www.fox2detroit.com/news/henry-ford-reaching-capacity-on-ventilators-planning-new-life-or-death-protocol-for-patients

Yeah, it's hitting our area pretty hard. Be glad you're not to this level yet. Our governor clarified the stay at home order to specifically call out lawn services and "non essential."

https://www.fox2detroit.com/news/henry-ford-reaching-capacity-on-ventilators-planning-new-life-or-death-protocol-for-patients

Yeah, it's hitting our area pretty hard. Be glad you're not to this level yet. Our governor clarified the stay at home order to specifically call out lawn services and "non essential."

The company that maintains the apartment I live in sent out landscapers on Wednesday....

How is this different than taking a walk, bike ride, or rollerblading?

KillJoy

Gotta go into the office, pick up the truck, fill it with chemicals, get gas, possibly interact with clients... it's not like licking railings in a hospital but it's still potential exposure. Is it necessary exposure? No.

Since I'm now seeing FB idiots disregarding any future increase in the number of cases because "testing is more available" (is it? I'm not sure that's even true), here's hospitalizations for the last week:

March 20: +6

March 21: +19

March 22: +25

March 23: +21

March 24: +41

March 25: +37

March 26: +41

Anyone want to play the guessing game for today's number? The average hospital stay is something like 8 days so all of those people are likely still taking up a bed. This is statewide but how many empty beds were there before this all started. Hundreds?