CoronaVirus

Forrest Gump 9

"Yes you can make the case that the individual was aware of the state restrictions and chose to attend, but once that attendee becomes a plaintiff, they are going to say that the venue made them believe they were safe by saying the restrictions were unnecessary and defying them. "

if the venue does not state that on there website or any interactions then that is invalid

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure If that’s directed at me or someone else.

I didn’t say that, so I don’t think it’s me?

No sir, I should have quoted nurkvinny's response. It's pages back now, but he indicated that common sense suggested people would kill themselves if their careers are largely impacted by the current situation... Just not sure I agree.

If your business sells essential items, like all the big box retailers do, then you are allowed to stay open and sell non-essential items as well. It would be too onerous to ask the businesses to sell only essential items.

EU3iP9XXkAg78im.jpg

I've seen this pic and several others like it. Maybe they like us showing how dependent we're willing to be. Shrug.jif.

EU3iP9XXkAg78im.jpg

I've seen this pic and several others like it. Maybe they like us showing how dependent we're willing to be. Shrug.jif.

This policy is in MI too and people are throwing a fit. It's one of the things they protested at the capital earlier this week. However, (in MI) the order applies to stores over 50k sq feet. Small stores, like ACE Hardware and Tractor Supply can still sell seeds, garden products etc. So it's not that they're unavailable, but they are trying to limit the number of people going to stores to browse/wander and protect small businesses that were forced closed under other orders.

It's definitely caused confusion.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

FYI - I understand Ace Hardware is doing free delivery for their rewards members. I guess my dad has had a truckload of lumber, topsoil, random fasteners and stuff all delivered to his house for free. For at least the local store here, they're doing curbside service only otherwise.

Here the home Depot and Lowe's parking lots are near capacity all day everyday with the whole places filled with boomers. It's really kind of annoying for us businesses that need to get stuff for jobs. Edited by Tractor

I've wondered how alcohol could be considered essential. Is it if the liquor store sells food items it just also sells whatever else is in the store as well? Just curious.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Alcoholics are going to either 1) place more burden on hospitals when they get withdrawal and DT 2) violate the order or steal their booze anyway

Yeah the whole liquor store thing is pretty sad, I think everyone has the same thought process. First it's "well that's not essential" and then it's "oh, right." Unprescribed medicine.

I wish they would lift the "one per person" limit on certain things.

With the debates over defying orders and opening venues or not, I'm always reminded of this story from 1918:

In the midst of the great flu pandemic of 1918, a young manager named Harold Edel decided to encourage attendance at his movie theater in the city. It was featuring the new Charlie Chaplin film, Shoulder Arms, and the crowds were so large that Edel extended its run. The manager was so enthusiastic that he took out a full-page ad in the weekly Moving Picture World. While other theaters had been shunned, he wanted to congratulate patrons who “take their lives in their hands to see it.”

At the bottom of the ad, double-underlined and in a huge font, was the recommendation of the board of health to “AVOID CROWDS.” Edel’s ad continued: “New Yorkers took their life in their hands and Packed the Strand Theatre all week.” Edel, alas, never got to see his ad in print. He died of influenza before it went to press.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I've seen this pic and several others like it.

I am just talking about Ohio. That picture is from Vermont (if it is even real - let's assume it is).

You want "Small government" and states rights and this is what that looks like - every state choosing for themselves their level of restriction.

Maybe they like us showing how dependent we're willing to be. Shrug.jif.

Who is the "They"? The Vermont Government? This isn't a federal governemnt call, this is 100% state all the way baby, so "they" ain't showing you anything because you don't live in a state that's doing that. What do you care that the vermont state government is flexing it's dick muscles on it's residents - you want the states to operate this way: states deciding what is best for it's own residents without big bad scary federal government coordination....I mean intervention.

Randy, since you were the only one to answer my earlier question as to whether this pandemic has changed the way you think of federal government and "states rights", I am going to ask you this:

If the federal government decided they were going to take charge and rollout the ohio method of handling the pandemic to all the states that have taken the other approach of restricting essential items as a way of curbing state government overreach - Do you think this (and only this) is a situation where the federal government might have a bigger role to play than handing out $1200 tax refunds and doing little else?

if the venue does not state that on there website or any interactions then that is invalid

no. That's not accurate or true in the slightest.

IF you are a business owner and you make public statements anywhere about your buisness and your business plans into the public record (i.e. the press), ALL that is admissable evidence. Period. Full stop. It is completely valid and reasonable for a person to rely on those public statements and all those statements are admissable. The company might try to defend itself by saying it wasn't on the website or printed materials but in cases where the CEO is in print saying "we are going to do X" it is almost never a successful defense.

In this Case you have the President of Summit Motorsports park in many local public news papers saying he doesn't think this is a big deal and he's going to open his venue in the face of the restrictions. That's all it takes, Summit Motorsports park is now on the hook for those statements.

This is one of the may reason large companies have dedicated press and public relations departments and why they restrict and vet any and all interviews given by their employees. When their employees appear in the press for unlreated business or as an expert in a field there is ALWAYS a large disclaimer that says the views of the person do not represent the company and are the person's personal opinions. Even that diclaimer can be waived just by the person talking about company business or action.

you want the states to operate this way: states deciding what is best for it's own residents without big bad scary federal government coordination....I mean intervention.

That isn't what's best for residents.

Randy, since you were the only one to answer my earlier question as to whether this pandemic has changed the way you think of federal government and "states rights", I am going to ask you this:

If the federal government decided they were going to take charge and rollout the ohio method of handling the pandemic to all the states that have taken the other approach of restricting essential items as a way of curbing state government overreach - Do you think this (and only this) is a situation where the federal government might have a bigger role to play than handing out $1200 tax refunds and doing little else?

Maybe. Maybe not.

I've wondered how alcohol could be considered essential. Is it if the liquor store sells food items it just also sells whatever else is in the store as well? Just curious.

Yeah the whole liquor store thing is pretty sad, I think everyone has the same thought process. First it's "well that's not essential" and then it's "oh, right." Unprescribed medicine.

In my opinion the whole thing turns on this statement in the restrictions:

All non essential businesses must cease operations within the state except for minimin basic operations.

Ohio has basically said to businesses "you figure out what your minimum basic operations are as long as they meet the restrictions of social distancing and employee safety". At home bsuinesses and single employee businesses can stay open whether they are essential or not as long as they don't present a congregation risk and meet other safety guidelines.

So it's not that alcohol is "essential", it's that the brick and mortar liqour stores have said "our minimum basic operation is selling this one product", and as long as our few (or one) employees wear masks, gloves, and do curbside pickup and restrict the number of people in the store....we cool.

Now, the conspiracy theorist that lives inside me takes over and I think the state isn't pushing back too hard or enforcing on the restriction is because alcohol in the home keeps people inside and docile. Really they are probably too busy with other things and a limited staff, but still...opium of the people....

Ohio has basically said to businesses "you figure out what your minimum basic operations are as long as they meet the restrictions of social distancing and employee safety". At home bsuinesses and single employee businesses can stay open whether they are essential or not as long as they don't present a congregation risk and meet other safety guidelines.

I’m so happy for this. On the alcohol side yes I picked up a few more bottles last night. On those increasingly warmer days it makes me happy to chill on the porch with a glass

On the flip side the fact that our trim guy or our paint guy can still go do work on my companies new homes that we are building - not only are they all alone all day, working, and making their paycheck, so am I. Our whole company is then able to stay home, work, and keep on going. That lone tradesman is keeping our process going and thus our whole company....and they don’t even work directly for us. Our only guys out in the field are our job supervisors and they are generally also alone all day. They may check in on the painter or whatnot but it’s brief and distant is they are even present at the time.

Here the home Depot and Lowe's parking lots are near capacity all day everyday with the whole places filled with boomers. It's really kind of annoying for us businesses that need to get stuff for jobs.

I tried to do online ordering with Lowe's last week here in Lancaster. What a clusterfuck. I placed the order (sheet of drywall, couple 4x8's, and a couple 2x4's) at 1:30. Got an email saying it was ready at 2:30. Parked in my spot and called in to let them know I was there around 3. Sat for 35 minutes then decided to just go in. Store was a mad house and packed. Find out the order was a "pick on arrival". Go back and sit in the truck another 35 minutes and call inside. Tell the lady I just want to cancel the order. She says "you have to come in to do that" which completely defeats the whole purpose. I'd been in there 1 more time than I wanted to begin with. Then I noticed in the email I wouldn't be charged until I picked the order up so at 4:30 I just left. Called the health Dept the next day to let them know Lowe's is allowing way too many people in their stores. Got an email back within the hour that they had contacted management and reminded them of the orders to limit customers.

The protests are frigin stupid. Wish they would stop doing them......it's embarrassing. Think of someone besides yourselves for once. It's the same assholes that pump gas and leave their car at the pump while the go buy lotto tickets and generic cigarettes.

Was in line last Saturday morning at Vance's to pick up an order I placed online. The staff came out to announce how they are limiting those that can be in the store to online orders only due to the governor's orders. Some schmuck yells out from the back, "Tell the governor to shove it up his ass!"

Its amazing to me how much the general public just doesn't get it. This guy was probably in his mid 50s; prime age to get smoked by this thing.