CoronaVirus

Forrest Gump 9

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whats everyones level of quarantine, are you wearing PPE or inflatable dinosaur costumes?

The wife is a teacher so she's obviously home, I got laid off due to the virus. The only time we go into public its the grocery store or Lowes(waited 45min on Sunday), etc to get a couple things since we started a renovation before this happened. That only happens once a week.

Her parents are over becuase her Dad is doing all the reno, he's retired. My parents stopped by just this week, but they are the same as us, just out for supplies once a week and Mom is retired; and there's no hugs or anything, everyone keeps their distance.

We've had a couple "Zoom" drinking parties with friends but I would not be against hanging out at the firepit or on the patio with a couple close friends/neighbors.

Whats everyones expectation of lifting the quarantine?

All I keep hearing from friends/family is that in X months it will be back to normal. I hate to burst your bubble, there is not a normal anymore; the world is foerever changed.

Whats everyones level of quarantine, are you wearing PPE or inflatable dinosaur costumes?

The wife is a teacher so she's obviously home, I got laid off due to the virus. The only time we go into public its the grocery store or Lowes(waited 45min on Sunday), etc to get a couple things since we started a renovation before this happened. That only happens once a week.

Her parents are over becuase her Dad is doing all the reno, he's retired. My parents stopped by just this week, but they are the same as us, just out for supplies once a week and Mom is retired; and there's no hugs or anything, everyone keeps their distance.

We've had a couple "Zoom" drinking parties with friends but I would not be against hanging out at the firepit or on the patio with a couple close friends/neighbors.

All I keep hearing from friends/family is that in X months it will be back to normal. I hate to burst your bubble, there is not a normal anymore; the world is foerever changed.

It is a very unfortuante situation for many. Here's the thing, our constitution did not give us temporary permissions for freedom from the goverment dependant upon the governments need. It gave us the liberty to travel freely, speak freely, and to defend ourselves when needed from tyrany. Our future will change only if we accept it.

we are in about the same boat. both WFH right now. have a 1 yr old that likes to get out of the house, so we take her to see her grandparents and that is about all. only leave for groceries and other things we really need, like a new car battery from costco.

From what I can tell the level of shit show hasn't really changed much. They're going to open up the state and cases are going to go through the roof. It's going to get alot worse before it gets better. There's been no real appreciable change in much since the stay at home order from a treatment or protection stand point. We still don't have the testing capabilities needed, PPE, treatment, or vaccine it would take to give us a fair shot at opening.

I think the idea is that "open up the state" doesn't mean what a lot of people think it means. DeWine has been pretty mum on specifics but he said no Ohio State Fair this year -- I think we can infer from that and his aggressive cancelling of The Arnold spectators that all large public gatherings will be prohibited, probably through the summer and most likely through the end of 2020. Amy Acton also said not to expect play dates or social gatherings through June. Schools opening in the fall are still up in the air.

So "open" will mean you can go get your haircut as long as the salon or barber shop is taking appropriate sanitation and social distancing measures. You'll wear a mask and there will be a limit to how close people can sit together in the waiting room. That's "open" but it's not business as usual.

I trust that they're looking at models that support this plan.

I think the idea is that "open up the state" doesn't mean what a lot of people think it means. DeWine has been pretty mum on specifics but he said no Ohio State Fair this year -- I think we can infer from that and his aggressive cancelling of The Arnold spectators that all large public gatherings will be prohibited, probably through the summer and most likely through the end of 2020. Amy Acton also said not to expect play dates or social gatherings through June. Schools opening in the fall are still up in the air.

So "open" will mean you can go get your haircut as long as the salon or barber shop is taking appropriate sanitation and social distancing measures. You'll wear a mask and there will be a limit to how close people can sit together in the waiting room. That's "open" but it's not business as usual.

I trust that they're looking at models that support this plan.

I do understand there will be severe limitations initially. What I don't trust is the public's ability to use common sense. Go sit in a Lowe's parking lot right now and just watch people. It's ridiculous.

I do understand there will be severe limitations initially. What I don't trust is the public's ability to use common sense. Go sit in a Lowe's parking lot right now and just watch people. It's ridiculous.

Agreed. I think they keep saying, "Things aren't going to be the same," and people hear what they want to hear.

My hope is that fairly quickly the treatment catches up....and I do think it will at some point. There has already been some progress there although the magic bullet hasn't been found yet. I will be watching OSU's trials of nitric oxide and hoping that makes a substantial difference because that's something people can do at home so it reduces the hit on hospitals while at the same time saving lives....if it's proven to work.

I think people keep forgetting the initial reason for the shutdowns and stay at home orders. It was to slow the spread and allow the hospitals to ramp up their PPE and facilities for incoming patients. Right now there are 1100 unused hospital beds at the Columbus Convention Center. Since my gym is closed, I walk (or rollerblade) past this most every day during my work day. There is a third party electrical company there to help with the power aspect. I talked to one of the workers one day about it. He said they're just getting ready for an explosion in patients, if any. I think it's a great sign for our city that it hasn't come to this.

Sooner rather than later, we have to get back to some sort of normality. Having facilities like this one at the ready is what will make that transition better.

Every time I turn on the damn news, they report that the sky is falling in NYC and Detroit. Very rarely do they talk about anything else, and I find that annoying as hell.

I think people keep forgetting the initial reason for the shutdowns and stay at home orders. It was to slow the spread and allow the hospitals to ramp up their PPE and facilities for incoming patients. Right now there are 1100 unused hospital beds at the Columbus Convention Center. Since my gym is closed, I walk (or rollerblade) past this most every day during my work day. There is a third party electrical company there to help with the power aspect. I talked to one of the workers one day about it. He said they're just getting ready for an explosion in patients, if any. I think it's a great sign for our city that it hasn't come to this.

Sooner rather than later, we have to get back to some sort of normality. Having facilities like this one at the ready is what will make that transition better.

Every time I turn on the damn news, they report that the sky is falling in NYC and Detroit. Very rarely do they talk about anything else, and I find that annoying as hell.

I actually agree on this point, and I think that's why it should be up to the states to handle their own return back to something near normal. If a surge starts to happen, they can slow that down as they need to by altering restrictions.

The rub on this though, is as things open it will force those who can be at a greater risk out into the world when they shouldn't be out quite yet.

My hope is that fairly quickly the treatment catches up....and I do think it will at some point. There has already been some progress there although the magic bullet hasn't been found yet. I will be watching OSU's trials of nitric oxide and hoping that makes a substantial difference because that's something people can do at home so it reduces the hit on hospitals while at the same time saving lives....if it's proven to

These news stories rub me a bit for providing false hope.

Nitric oxide isn't going to really fix anything. We already use nebulized prostaglandins in the form of epoprostenol/Flolan/Veletri which all do the same exact thing; they dilate your pulmonary arteries to allow more blood flow around your alveolar-capillary membrane. They do nothing for the inflammatory reaction your body is mounting which is actually what is killing people.

Long term studies have already shown that they don't really do anything to improve overall outcomes in ARDS. They make your numbers look better (O2 sats) and we're usually already throwing the kitchen sink at you anyway by that point because nothing else works.

We typically don't use nitric because it's crazy expensive (like $10k/day). The pediatric community still uses it because....kids.

BTW, people won't be giving themselves nitric at home. Once its started, it can't be abruptly stopped. It requires a controlled, measured weaning and people can't be trusted to do that by themselves.

And this came out today as well:

NEW YORK (AP) — More evidence is emerging that far more New Yorkers have had the coronavirus than the number confirmed by lab tests, officials said Thursday. A state survey of about 3,000 people found that nearly 14% had antibodies, suggesting they had been exposed to the virus, Gov. Andrew Cuomo said at his daily news briefing. In New York City, the epicenter of the pandemic in the U.S., 21% of the people tested had antibodies.

:eek:

And this came out today as well:

NEW YORK (AP) — More evidence is emerging that far more New Yorkers have had the coronavirus than the number confirmed by lab tests, officials said Thursday. A state survey of about 3,000 people found that nearly 14% had antibodies, suggesting they had been exposed to the virus, Gov. Andrew Cuomo said at his daily news briefing. In New York City, the epicenter of the pandemic in the U.S., 21% of the people tested had antibodies.

:eek:

Yep....goes on to say "Cuomo, extrapolating the data, said it’s likely 2.7 million people in the state have been infected, with a death rate of 0.5%."

Not surprising how many of that .5% will be very old people too. Meanwhile the ready, willing and able working class of America is shut inside.....

Yep....goes on to say "Cuomo, extrapolating the data, said it’s likely 2.7 million people in the state have been infected, with a death rate of 0.5%."

Not surprising how many of that .5% will be very old people too. Meanwhile the ready, willing and able working class of America is shut inside.....

Can you find that for me? I didn't see that...

There you go insinuating that people should die so the economy can open up. disgusting.

What does it matter that they were "very old people"? do you think they don't diserve to live?

Earlier this month the numbers in NYC were 40% of confirmed cases in the 18-44 age range. That's more young people than old.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/young-people-coronavirus-new-york-city-percentage-patients-covid-19-symptoms-dying-hospitalizations/

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-04-01/coronavirus-in-young-people-ny-patients-skew-younger-some-die

Accuracy issues with the anti-body testing notwithstanding, it seems that this is just an across the board increase in the number that seem to have been infected. It doesn't speak to any information about the age groups.

Assuming that antibody testing would skew old is not just baseless, it's something that you, Tim, personally do to fit your narrative of "they were old they were going to die anyway" that somehow doesn't keep you up at night.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/23/nyregion/coronavirus-new-york-update.html?type=styln-live-updates&label=new%20york%20&index=1&action=click&module=Spotlight&pgtype=Homepage#link-6bcc6a71

But please don't spare us the theatrics of you denying that you don't think people should die from this easily presentable thing while advocating that people should die so you can get a haircut.

Is one of those chronic health conditions being a tubby lard bucket? (Ohio looks around nervously).