Range Rover restoration - best vid ever

zeitgeist57

I cannot imagine how much more time went into staging, filming and editing something like this, but combined with the super chill video this is one of the best videos i've seen. Very satisfying.

What is the silver schmear he puts on all the raw metal after working on it? Primer or some thicker sealant?

Great, now I have a 90 minute video to procrastinate to today :)

Looks like Rust Bullet or similar. I've used it a bunch on rusty suspension parts and whatnot, it's amazing stuff.

Good info. I've used Corroseal in the past but that goes on milky to convert the rust. That coating looks to be some serious stuff. I'm assuming he's painting on POR-15 over that on the frame and wherever it's not being painted.

Yes, I started watching it with a beverage last night.

Impressive work on the video too ! to put that much work into a old Range Rover I wonder if he has some kind of connection?

Check out his pinned comment below the vid...sounds like the Range was his uncles, who had it since new and took meticulous care of it (aside from how the body has held up to sea breeze).

I have an '04 Cavalier at our condo as a cheap beach car. We're pretty close to the Gulf of Mexico, and the westerly breeze carries a lot of salt in the air. It's amazing how much the body and brake/fuel lines have gained significant amount of rust in the last 3 years. This Range Rover has rust under a couple layers of pinch welds...not surprising to see the body in good shape but all the crevasses having serious rust issues.

I think I'm right in saying made by British Leland ? rust protection was not the best.

Fun fact RRover started out as a farmers utility vehicle,pretty basic,hose it out rubber mats basic then it became de ri·gueur to ponce around in one and became a status thing soon as you made some scratch.

So just how do they make a video look like the truck is disassembling itself? All stills?

I want to find a video of making one of these lol

I was wondering the same thing, and guessed the same. I assume they take the frames that don't show any hands/tools and cut them together.

Seems like you would have to have a pretty clear picture of what you wanted in a finished product.

Thanks for the share. Gosh what a rust bucket. I can't imagine thinking that was a good project to start with... And then using a flux core welder to do all your work... yikes..

I think he spent the last 2 years editing the video.. crazy.