10-day winter forecast?

zeitgeist57

Down in Florida (Ft Lauderdale) ourselves working but enjoying the benefits of weather. Dogs are much more calm because they aren't cooped up 24/7 like they would be at home....the little one runs and jumps in the pool as soon as you let her out of the house though which is getting old. Can't help but shop for properties while we're here even if Florida isn't my favorite place in the world. As I age I totally get the snow bird thing.

I'd take FL over PHX though...I spent every other week in Phoenix from March 2019 to March 2020 for work and I enjoyed the time there but I'm allergic to the world and there was a different set of allergens that drove me crazy out there. I found everything being brown also wore on me after awhile. Small complaints I know but adaptions none the less.

Ultimately if we were to really be serious about relocation it'd probably be Charlotte.

I'm very intrigued by this, how/where are you living? furnished apartment?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Down in Florida (Ft Lauderdale) ourselves working but enjoying the benefits of weather. Dogs are much more calm because they aren't cooped up 24/7 like they would be at home....the little one runs and jumps in the pool as soon as you let her out of the house though which is getting old. Can't help but shop for properties while we're here even if Florida isn't my favorite place in the world. As I age I totally get the snow bird thing.

I'd take FL over PHX though...I spent every other week in Phoenix from March 2019 to March 2020 for work and I enjoyed the time there but I'm allergic to the world and there was a different set of allergens that drove me crazy out there. I found everything being brown also wore on me after awhile. Small complaints I know but adaptions none the less.

Ultimately if we were to really be serious about relocation it'd probably be Charlotte.

I was the opposite my allergies completely went away when I moved here. But the moment I step off the plane in Columbus I can feel the sneeze attacks creeping up. Especially if it's winter.

I was the opposite my allergies completely went away when I moved here. But the moment I step off the plane in Columbus I can feel the sneeze attacks creeping up. Especially if it's winter.

I'm like that too, I spent 35 years of my life with full sinuses and as soon as I moved south I realized people actually do breath through their noses. Wife's the opposite so she's kind of annoyed;-)

This

We're just renting a house through airbnb. Not down here all winter, sorry if I gave that vibe incorrectly. But in spending some time down here I've put some real effort into what it takes to break even on an investment opportunity that we could also spend some time at whenever necessary.

I'm in a position in life where we could continue to work and spend all winter down here if we wanted but those are also prime revenue months for investment properties too. Been an interesting time suck while we're down here looking at properties and how this all works.

I'm like that too, I spent 35 years of my life with full sinuses and as soon as I moved south I realized people actually do breath through their noses. Wife's the opposite so she's kind of annoyed;-)

100%

Living down here has drastically affected any sinus issues that I had while living in Ohio. I will say the average temp over the next 10 days will be 73*

100%

Living down here has drastically affected any sinus issues that I had while living in Ohio. I will say the average temp over the next 10 days will be 73*

Tim, how do you like that area? I spent a few minutes looking around the surrounding areas just for kicks. Seems like the cost of living is pretty low there but also the job market, economy matches it. If you spent most of your life in Ohio and now live there full time Im interested in your opinion/regrets,etc? Feel free to PM if you dont want to post here.

But in spending some time down here I've put some real effort into what it takes to break even on an investment opportunity that we could also spend some time at whenever necessary.

I'm in a position in life where we could continue to work and spend all winter down here if we wanted but those are also prime revenue months for investment properties too. Been an interesting time suck while we're down here looking at properties and how this all works.

This.

I know I'm cheap and haven't been into the car game as much as a lot of you guys, but after being in FL with my Corvette back in 2005-08, we bought a condo and subsequently upgraded in the following years, and I have no ragrets for that being my investment (over expensive fun cars). Even when we're not in our condo during winter, there's a great feeling of "at least someone else is paying for it" as it rents really well from Dec-Apr. No one is paying for your track car while it's in storage, are they? ;)

Last year, we had two long-time monthly renters cancel for Feb and Mar 2021 for COVID. It was $thousands gone. Happy to say both months ended up getting rented out by the end of 2020, and wifey and I even get to go down at the end of this month for a long weekend between reservations. It's very interesting to see the demand rise through quarantine, even with our monthly-rental property (we use VRBO but can't airbnb)

The thing I tell people about a vacation rental, is you have to budget to pay for it even if it doesn't rent. I get that may be very conservative, but when COVID hit we refunded deposits without losing sleep because the bills were still getting paid. I think too many people buy a place going "but it'll airbnb for thousands a month!!1!1" until it doesn't, and then your life/job/home is possibly screwed.

I can lever up and buy another property..but IMO, the cost of buying a new rental in 2021 is still REALLY high. If it's not hundreds a sq/ft, my beloved FL is 'SPENSIVE to insure, maintain, and pay for utilities if you're anywhere near the water (where people want to stay)...plus, it sounds like our lobby will eventually be submerged in water anyway by 2050. “¯\_(ツ)_/¯“

Sorry for continuing OT :lol: Enjoy FL if you can live there full-time, but family/jerb keeps you in Ohio I would continue enjoying renting great properties until the market comes down some.

yea makes sense. I've been keep an eye on properties in the bradenton, fl area since the bolleteri/img tenns academy is down there and things are definitely not cheap. great advice regarding budget with the vacation rentals. I cant tell how many times at work, a younger kid will have 1k rent, 500 car payment, insurance, etc and be making 16 bucks an hour. then of course down the road, they dont have money to get anything fixed.

Tim, how do you like that area? I spent a few minutes looking around the surrounding areas just for kicks. Seems like the cost of living is pretty low there but also the job market, economy matches it. If you spent most of your life in Ohio and now live there full time Im interested in your opinion/regrets,etc? Feel free to PM if you dont want to post here.

I essentially chose this area because my parents (who aren't getting any younger) live here. I was staying with them when I first moved down here during my house hunt. Within an hour of their place is where I told myself I would try to keep my search when in fact, I ended up finding my place about 1.7 miles from their house LOL. Just fell in love with the house, yard and neighborhood. In hindsight, I think I would have probably preferred being a bit further south as to be closer to the actual beach. I'm about 25 minutes from the Gulf here, but there are no real "beaches". It's about 1:45 hrs to get to Sarasota where I really love the beaches. Luckily, working for Discover, I've been able to work remotely even before COVID hit, so the local job market didn't really play a part in me deciding to choose this area.

80 here in Phx yesterday.

Ew.

100%

Now that I can get down with. Screw living there in the summer.

I'm seeing mixed messages in forecasting, but definitely potential to get dumped on. My 2wd truck is already struggling to get all the way up my driveway... great.

time to stop at lowes and get some sand...

Funny story...back in 95-96 I was working at the nationwide datacenter on north 23.

A horrible snowstorm hit and i was in a stick s10. Anyway, on the trip home down 71s, cars were littered all over the road. I didn't go over 15mph and the truck still slid some.

After getting near home I remembered an old gas station that threw used tired behind the station.

So I stopped and picked up some tire and threw them in the back. At the same time a neighbor was rebuilding a stone wall with cinder block. I stopped there and threw some huge stones in the tires. Truck handled pretty good all that winter with my backwoods fix.