Has anyone read this thing about the gorilla glue

Mace1647545504

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So this is kinda like that lady ordering hot coffee from McDonald’s and promptly pouring it down her pants, then suing them for not putting a “hot” label on it?

Fuck these types of people.

Clearly you have never read more about the hot coffee lady from McDonalds. The lady got third degree burns from coffee which required skin grafts and has permanent disfigurement due to it. she initially sued for only medical costs and lost wages but McDonalds wasn't having it. Clearly there was some at fault of the lady however McDonalds was more at fault and the jury sided with the lady.

I agree there are a lot of people who take advantage of the system but the McDonald incident is not one of those.

Clearly you have never read more about the hot coffee lady from McDonalds. The lady got third degree burns from coffee which required skin grafts and has permanent disfigurement due to it. she initially sued for only medical costs and lost wages but McDonalds wasn't having it. Clearly there was some at fault of the lady however McDonalds was more at fault and the jury sided with the lady.

I agree there are a lot of people who take advantage of the system but the McDonald incident is not one of those.

This.

That particular coffee wasn't just hot. It was WAY hotter than coffee ever should be. A little research will show that. Also look into hot water tank settings and the difference in skin contact with 130 degree liquid, 140, 150, etc.

Those are the types of people who get their "news" from facebook or just see a headline and make assumptions without looking at FACTS. ;)

I feel bad for the girl. Likely she's used some type of "glue" product before without realizing all glues are not created equal. This time the glue got the better of her.

This. And if I recall correctly, McDs was heating the coffee to insane temps. I seem to recall it having to do something with how they'd give free refills and when they heated it up that much, it took longer to cool down to a drinkable temperature, and less people would stay that long to need a refill.

This.

That particular coffee wasn't just hot. It was WAY hotter than coffee ever should be. A little research will show that. Also look into hot water tank settings and the difference in skin contact with 130 degree liquid, 140, 150, etc.

This. And if I recall correctly, McDs was heating the coffee to insane temps. I seem to recall it having to do something with how they'd give free refills and when they heated it up that much, it took longer to cool down to a drinkable temperature, and less people would stay that long to need a refill.

I'm literally so proud of you guys, I'm tearing up. I can't tell you how many years I've had to listen to dipshits talk about "frivolous lawsuits" and always bring up the McDonald's coffee case - a situation for which there isn't a massive enough eyeroll.

Somebody mentioned her being a teacher, but She's a Teacher in Louisiana, the second worst school system in the country (Mississippi next door is the worst). She's also from Chalmette, a Suburb of New Orleans. The people that live there are know as the "Chalmation Nation", when I lived in New Orleans in the early 2000's someone from New Orleans described it to me as "the New Jersey of the south".

The one thing I can't seem to figure out from a couple of articles I've read is, Why they can't just shave her head. did she lay it on thick? can't she just wait for her hair to grow out a little or her sink to exfoliate and the stuff will come out? Other than having her hair glued to her head, how is it hurting her?

So this is kinda like that lady ordering hot coffee from McDonald’s and promptly pouring it down her pants, then suing them for not putting a “hot” label on it?

Fuck these types of people.

How much could I pay you to pour 190 degree coffee on your genitals, burning away all skin and fat and disabling you for 2 years? $480k? That's what she ended up with.

There is an entire semester on this case alone if you go to law school

This was one of the most successful smear campaigns ever started by a corporation against a consumer.

if thats true, than I heard about it the wrong way. I was probably in high school when I heard about it. I just remember high school friends talking about it. I can only assume they heard from their parents.

How much could I pay you to pour 190 degree coffee on your genitals, burning away all skin and fat and disabling you for 2 years? $480k? That's what she ended up with.

There is an entire semester on this case alone if you go to law school

This was one of the most successful smear campaigns ever started by a corporation against a consumer.

ouch - I think my genitals are worth more than that.

That smear campaign worked on me! But thats not saying much. I haven't thought about it in 15+ years.

I've dealt with the general public enough to learn that there's really no set point for how stupid people are, there are just the undiscovered territories.

Remember, people like this can breed, vote, and drive cars. That should scare you more than anything.

That smear campaign worked on me! But thats not saying much. I haven't thought about it in 15+ years.

Me too. I have a friend who is an attorney who schooled me on it years ago.

190 degree genitals was the name of my red hot chilli peppers cover band

I'd watch this. Red Hot Genital Peppers

I was in college for the upteenth time a few years after it happened. I was taking a law course from the ex-AG of Ohio(willie brown).

He explained the the mcd case.

1) the lady placed the coffee in between her legs..not smart

2) she didn't ask for a carrier

3) the mcd attorneys feeling they had an easy case were flippant and showed it in court.

This turned the jury off and they found for the plaintiff.

I'm sorry, it was stupid of her to do it and it was stupid of the 'teacher' in La. to put gorilla glue in her hair. It says to be careful NOT to get it in your eyes and on your skin.

I was in college for the upteenth time a few years after it happened. I was taking a law course from the ex-AG of Ohio(willie brown).

He explained the the mcd case.

1) the lady placed the coffee in between her legs..not smart

It was 1992 and she was a passenger in a 1989 base ford probe. You know what Ford probes don't have? Cup holders. You are old enough that Jesus signed your yearbook so you probably remember when cars didn't have cupholders, where did you put your drive through drink?

2) she didn't ask for a carrier

McDonalds policy at the time was not to offer a drink carrier for one cup because of it's tendency to tip over.

3) the mcd attorneys feeling they had an easy case were flippant and showed it in court.

This turned the jury off and they found for the plaintiff.

This they did, and Karma is a bitch. Still McDonalds didn't lose because it was a bad case, There was very much a triable issue of fact in the case and it had merit. No one incident is 100% someone's fault, and in this case the jury found McDonalds 80% liable and Ms. Leibeck 20% liable. Coffee is normally served at 165 degrees F and mcdonalds was serving it at 190 - the difference between the two is 20 seconds of prolonged exposure vs seven seconds to cause severe burns. That's a big difference.

McDonald's smugness got them a large punitive damage penalty, They were going to lose the case either way.

I'm sorry, it was stupid of her to do it and it was stupid of the 'teacher' in La. to put gorilla glue in her hair. It says to be careful NOT to get it in your eyes and on your skin.

Was it stupid? eh maybe. It's easy to call certain things stupid 30 years after the fact, that would have seemed reasonable.I don't think it's a reasonable expectation to spill coffee on yourself and need skin grafts to deal with the burns so even if she was taking a risk, she probably wouldn't have seen the level of harm coming. She was a 79 year old woman at the time it happened, not a young person, so it's hard to say what's reasonable for an older person to think or do 30 years ago. It's kind of shitty that you have no empathy for an older person who suffered burns unnecessarily because McDonalds just wanted to serve hotter coffee.

Kerry..sorry yes I am old..not quite that old but old. I remember cars with no seat belts and no infant carriers available. I remember riding bicycles with no helmet.

It is common sense not to put hot liquid between your legs where at the slightest twinge you can squeeze it, the top come off and you'd spill hot liquid in your crotch. You just hold it in your hand.

As you said mcd didn't off a carrier but then she didn't ask.

I do have empathy for older people just not stupid older people. This is probably something she had done before and nothing ever came of it, but this time it did. If she had done it before it wasn't smart every time.

So if the coffee was standard temp, would she still have had to have skin grafts, probably because at 79 your skin is different than 29.

Again, asking for a carrier would have made a difference.

I can remember people opening the glove compartment, putting the drink on it and doing whatever or even using it as a tray.

Better yet, I've put it on the floor between my feet and fix.

I guess I was raised to take responsibility for my actions