College Football thread 2021/22

Otis Nice

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The kid isn't as good as he and everyone thought he was

I dunno. I struggle with this. It's HARD to "make it" and given the right chance at the right time anyone can be a stand out. I think Tate COULD have been great at tOSU had he been the QB1 but he came in under a proven player then the Fields transfer took him out. I LOVE Fields and don't think Tate should have won the spot over him but had Fields not transferred who knows what he could have done. I also think Fields is the superior of the 2 but I don't have enough evidence/stats to prove that since one took over and the other rode the pine pony.

At OSU Tate was 23 for 28 (82.1%) with 269 yards, 1 TD, and no INT's. His rate was 174.6. That's nothing to scoff at but it's also such a small sample that it's hard to accurately surmise what MIGHT have happened. He also had 2 rushing TD's. The prob was in the way he was utilized. Goal line snaps. EVERYONE knew he was going to run. At least anyone who ever watched him in HS or knew anything about him anyway.

As a senior in HS he went 15-0 throwing for 2,362 yards and 41 TDs. He rushed for 1,253 yards and 21 TDs. That's 62 TDs he was responsible for and 3,615 yards he ate up. That doesn't happen if you're trash at any level. There are professional QBs making millions that don't touch that.

To put that into perspective, Tom Brady (the GOAT QB in my opinion) went 11-5, threw for 4,633 yards, 40 TDs, and 12 INTs, last year in his first year as the TB QB as he won the SB. His comp percentage was just 65.75%. His rate was 102.2. He had 30 rushing attempts (scrambling and dives really) for just 6 yards and 3 TD's. By this comparison, although obv on a MUCH diff scale, Tate fared better in HS/college (depending on the stat/barometric used) than the GOAT. Now, the defense and all that is also obv VASTLY diff, but still. Tate was/is no slouch.

If we compare Tate to a mobile NFL QB like Lamar Jackson we'd see Jackson had, in 2020, a completion percentage of 64.36%, 2,757 passing yards, 26 TDs, and 9 INTs. Couple that with his 1,005 rushing yards, 7 TDs, and 5 fumbles, and all of the sudden Tate doesn't really look all that trbl. His rate was 99.3 down from 113.3 in 2019 which is still lower than Tate.

Do I think Tate is the end all, be all? No. Do I think he is the GOAT or gonna be the GOAT? No. I just think that he's exactly as good as I, tOSU, Miami, UNLV, and all the recruiters and professionals that judge these types of things thought/think he was/is. He's just been dealt a shit hand.

Time will tell and honestly I could see him do nothing or maybe end up in the CFL or the arena league if that's still a thing but I could also see him break out and be a sneaky pro QB flying under the radar that won't be AMAZING but could be really solid in the right program.

Man...I'm glad football season is back. GO BUCKS!

By this comparison, although obv on a MUCH diff scale

That's an understatement.

I understand the point you are trying to make (he was really impressive in high school) but all these stats you're referencing are apples and elephants.

He's just been dealt a shit hand.

Tathan wasn't dealt a shit hand. He thought his high school accomplishments were enough to earn him the right to be a college starter, regardless of competition. He made the comment about Fields transferring, then Tathan himself decides to transfer because he felt threatened by Fields' presence and Urban didn't care for his attitude. He had the freedom to go anywhere and chose Miami, where he got beat out by two other guys in an open competition and was 3rd on the QB depth chart.

He has nobody to blame but himself. His immaturity and his own choices have led him to UNLV, which I'm sure has humbled him a bit. Most of the shine may have worn off, but he still has a chance to find success even at a low profile school.

That's an understatement.

I understand the point you are trying to make (he was really impressive in high school) but all these stats you're referencing are apples and elephants.

You are correct. That is why I stated as much.

Tathan wasn't dealt a shit hand. He thought his high school accomplishments were enough to earn him the right to be a college starter, regardless of competition. He made the comment about Fields transferring, then Tathan himself decides to transfer because he felt threatened by Fields' presence and Urban didn't care for his attitude. He had the freedom to go anywhere and chose Miami, where he got beat out by two other guys in an open competition and was 3rd on the QB depth chart.

He has nobody to blame but himself. His immaturity and his own choices have led him to UNLV, which I'm sure has humbled him a bit. Most of the shine may have worn off, but he still has a chance to find success even at a low profile school.

Ok.

It's a real problem going up the ladder. What I mean by that is going from high school, to college to the nfl.

Just because you are good/great at 1 level doesn't mean you'll be good at the next.

My ex-wifes is married to a guy who in high school was an excellent golfer, in fact he beat the bears son. My ex-brother-in-law when golfing with him says he constantly shot in the mid to high 70s.

So one day I was talking to my husband in law and asked about golf...he said the problem was he could have been a great golfer but it issue was in his head and that's why he couldn't make the next level.

Oh, for sure. I agree with that 100%. Big fish in a small pond kind of thing. That's why I use to laugh when 'Bama fans would talk about, "we want the Browns!" They would get DESTROYED playing ANY NFL team.

I was just a little tipsy if I'm being honest and making a point that he was exactly as good as everyone thought he was but wasn't utilized as well as he could have been.

Now, saying that, I'll also say he could have won the starting job, Fields could have stayed in the south, and he still could have screwed the pooch. :lol: We'll never know really.

Crazy question...what about the fields-burrow thing.

Fields was great for us and I hope he kills it with the bears, but what if joe would have stayed..does anyone think he could have beat fields out and if he would have would he have been the other side of the same coin?

Joe looks great on a bad nfl team and I hope justin does the same but man that's a bad team.

does anyone think he could have beat fields out...

Not a chance.

Joe looks great on a bad nfl team and I hope justin does the same but man that's a bad team.

Burrow is good and will be good. If he had half an o-line last year he would've tore it up.

So any predictions tonight?? Will we cover the spread..it's -14 and the over is 62.5.

It should be exciting with a new qb, but out receivers are killers.

Hopefully the D is that also!

No clue. Game has already started but there are so many unknowns and I have so many questions.

this is the great thing about being semi retired..I can drink on a week night and not worry about it..lol

I'm unretired and doing the same. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

5lq4r1.jpg

The defense is still my biggest concern. The young and inexperienced QB seemed to make some good decisions and a couple few errors. There is room to grow IMO but I wasn't and am not mad about how Stroud performed. This is a growing year for "us" and even in reloading years tOSU is better than most by far so time will tell.

5lq7zr.jpg

So this weekend will be big for us as clemson and georgia play.

If clemson soundly beats ga I think we stay 4 if it's close or ga beats clemson ga will jump us to 3 and clemson will drop to 4 on a close loss.

Thoughts??

While it wouldn't surprise me they keep a 1-loss Clemson in the top 4 and bump us to 5...I think in the event of an upset we stay at 4 and Clemson moves to 5 or even 6 and A&M moves up; people seem to like them this year.