Post-COVID fun car for sub-$6k?

zeitgeist57

I see 944s at the track every time I go. Never seen a 928. I assume nobody wants to deal with Porsche parts prices and v8 reliability issues for a car that's still slow. The later models that actually made some power are prohibitively expensive, is my understanding.

Are we talking about track cars or street cars? yeah, if you are looking for a car to gut and tinker with constantly in chase of lap times, 944 isn't as heavy a pig as a 928 and for a long time they were $1000 cars running all day. At $1000 it's hard to beat any running Porsche. At the $5000 entry fee they are now, with a 928 being roughly the same and really sorted nice ones touching $10K I don't see the value. For a car that I want to take to Athens and do the windy 9 with 2 kids in? I'd rather have the 928.

I've known a few 944 owners and they aren't exactly known for their reliability either. Even when new they were problem ridden. My cousin Joann bought a 1990 new and that thing was in the shop constantly. I feel like Porsche really didn't figure out the 924/944 chassis till the 968 and those cars are a really good value and known for their reliability and shared parts bin with the 993. They look better than a 944 too. Actually I think high mileage ones are in or close to clay's budget range now so I'm going to throw that in as my suggestion, plus they had a roadster version.

The 928 seems to me to have a better more tight knit community. 944's are kinda all over the place but talk to the landshark guys at any big car event here in town - they do garage sessions with each other and trade parts, it's an active local scene.

Ever drove an NA 996 or 997? They need more power to loo, but if you buying that, you buying 1) Looks 2) Handling 3) Clout. IMO.

Looks-wise, I find the 944 much more attractive.

I have driven a few 996's including NA ones and 1 turbo. Every car could use more power than it has stock it's kind of why we are all here.

It's funny that you mention clout, the one reason I love the 996 is that so many "car people" hate it and for a really dumb reason (headlights). To me the 911 is a really useful performance car, a sort of "do it all" kind of car. but people find all sorts of things for themselves in cars.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are we talking about track cars or street cars? yeah, if you are looking for a car to gut and tinker with constantly in chase of lap times, 944 isn't as heavy a pig as a 928 and for a long time they were $1000 cars running all day.

Well, going back to Clay's OP, something in the middle, right? A weekend car that he can take to the occasional track day. I'm just saying, I've never seen a 928 at the track. I have no idea if the engine would grenade after 20 minutes due to oil starvation, I have no idea if the brakes would cook, if it would overheat, if the transaxle would shatter.... Hell do they even make track pads for them? All things to consider. Even occasional track days are going to find every car's weak points, and a 928s weak points sounds expensive to fix.

Maybe they'd make a good occasional track day car but it doesn't seem like a lot of people are trying it, possibly because the affordable ones are gonna be slower than a Miata and the fast ones are gonna be prohibitively expensive.

944 is a very cool looking car. They're also cheap to make handle extremely well. However the motors and wiring are garbage. You're looking at about 10k to have a "bullet proof" motor built that can continuously track for 3 seasons if you're lucky. You have to ditch the wiring harness and go painless or you will be riddled with headaches from all corners of the piece of shit. And parts are becoming significantly harder to find.

A clean NB hasn't existed since about 1987.

My 2003 NB is for sale. 53k miles, garage kept.

Edit: My 2003 Mazdaspeed donor car with complete drivetrain is available as well for only slightly more. Yes, it is drop in and has the same wiring harness making the swap very easy. Donor car also comes with 6 speed.

My 2003 NB is for sale. 53k miles, garage kept.

Edit: My 2003 Mazdaspeed donor car with complete drivetrain is available as well for only slightly more. Yes, it is drop in and has the same wiring harness making the swap very easy. Donor car also comes with 6 speed.

Does that include chiggin' wangs?

• 2 weeks later...
I couldn't make it past him 'making fun of' the RS and Evo owners, supper grating. Anything good past there or does he just always act like someone I'd actively avoid spending any time around?

Wow something we agree on.

I couldn't make it past him 'making fun of' the RS and Evo owners, supper grating. Anything good past there or does he just always act like someone I'd actively avoid spending any time around?

It's not a real review, it's just him shit talking and waxing poetic about the car. It's like a low key troll for people who take youtube car reviews seriously. the whole thing is supposed to be a joke.

It's not a real review, it's just him shit talking and waxing poetic about the car. It's like a low key troll for people who take youtube car reviews seriously. the whole thing is supposed to be a joke.

It's infuriating.

That's kind of an interesting reaction. It actually makes you angry? why? because you were expecting what? I am legit curious about this.

He's driving a z06 and making fun of it and complaining about too much power? It's a mechanical masterpiece. Just reminds me of a well versed internet car-nerd that can't actually drive.

He's driving a z06 and making fun of it and complaining about too much power? It's a mechanical masterpiece. Just reminds me of a well versed internet car-nerd that can't actually drive.

but that's the joke. He's "Mr. Regular" - and regular folks can't really drive and have strong opinions drawn from their ass. He's a parody. You are supposed to laugh at how full of shit he is.

I mean I get it, if you are looking for honest content, I can see how this would disappoint.

I can only guess the people who can stand to listen to that guy are ones with kids of the right age who have to listen to social media influencers on *Insert Latest Popular Streaming/Social Site or App* non stop whenever they get screen time. Or are young enough to have grown up watching the same kind of thing. So they have reduced sensitivity to watching poorly made videos online of people who are annoying as fuck. Later, time to go yell at the sky.