Sortbikers/Racers...do you use a chain guard?

mrmako777

ive been debating on whether or not i want to take the chain guard off my bike. i feel like it would give it a much cleaner appearance and it doesnt really serve much purpose. the only thing its really there for is to keep lube from flinging (use maxima wax so no worries there) on to my undertail and since i always ride solo, im not worried about a passenger putting their foot onto the chain. does anyone else ride without a chain guard and is it truly safe to take it off?

ive never seen any motogp guys with one on their bikes...

Pull it off.. You will be hard pressed to find a racer with a chain guard unless it is something like a shark fin for crashes.

If your still riding street, the well, its up to you.. my streetbike has one on but my track bike does not.

Its there for safety so if you go down you don't get any of your extremities caught in the chain and sprocket. I've a few stories of people losing fingers like that. If you look at the swing arm of professional race bikes they have a toe guard. Its that little shark fin looking thing on the bottom of the swing arm, I think thats a subsitute for the chaing guard.

take a look.

http://www.motorcycletoystore.com/sport/shop.php/bolts-fasteners/toe-guard/p_154.html

Its there for safety so if you go down you don't get any of your extremities caught in the chain and sprocket. I've a few stories of people losing fingers like that. If you look at the swing arm of professional race bikes they have a toe guard. Its that little shark fin looking thing on the bottom of the swing arm, I think thats a subsitute for the chaing guard.

take a look.

http://www.motorcycletoystore.com/sport/shop.php/bolts-fasteners/toe-guard/p_154.html

yeah i was thinking about doin the toe guard. seems like a better alternative and its much cheaper than the puig chain guard i was looking at

I bike didn't come with a hugger and I wanted one because the rear shock was getting very messy from tire/road grime, so I bought the hugger and the chain gaurd comes with it attached.

Also how does this "toe gaurd" work if it's way back by the rear spool?:wtf:

I bike didn't come with a hugger and I wanted one because the rear shock was getting very messy from tire/road grime, so I bought the hugger and the chain gaurd comes with it attached.

Also how does this "toe gaurd" work if it's way back by the rear spool?:wtf:

wondering that myself

When I bought mine it didn't have one. Now I have a hugger that has one. It does help to keep the fling down off the tail and the shock area cleaner.

Chain maintenance isn't an issue with it or with out.

take a look.

No. The guard is on top and there's no way to get a foot in there. Sharkfins at the bottom of the swingarm are used by racers to prevent the toes getting into the sprocket. The sprocket is turning counter clockwise and can PULL a toe/foot into it. At the top, it would be pushing away instead...

The chain guard for street is a good idea to simply keep the chain lube off the underside of your tail and passenger's feet and your pants.

It also is an idea to prevent issue if the chain breaks... Rare situation in street use...