parents who ride...

socaln8tv

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol, I was going to post in here about how great I thought it was that there was a thread for parents who ride to talk about the challenges and joys and I read yet another feud going on about HD vs. Japs....silly boys.

there was a lot of good feedback still a few pages early on. i think the thread has been helpful to me. a lot of parents who do ride replied with some welcomed advice. thanks to all! - kimberly

A little late for a reply but I dont care. Didn't read any of the other replies either so I dont know what has already been said. I've got 2 kids and dont hesitate to ride. When it's my time or my wife's time to go, we are gonna die wether we are in the truck on the bike or walking down the street. My daughter is 6 and is starting to ride pillion with me this year.

My daughter is 6 and is starting to ride pillion with me this year.

What is the youngest age you would take them? I have a 3 year old and can't wait to get him on the bike, but I'm afraid for his safety at really any young age....does she wear any type of harness or anything? Is she able to hold on tight enough??

§ 4511.55. Riding bicycles; motorcycles abreast.

(A) Every person operating a bicycle upon a roadway shall ride as near to the right side of the roadway as practicable obeying all traffic rules applicable to vehicles and exercising due care when passing a standing vehicle or one proceeding in the same direction.

I wish all the tight shorts wearin yuppie jackasses who ride bicycles outside of CW would adhere to this law. They ride in unpassable packs of 15-30+ at least 3-4 abreast and wonder why everyone yells at them. selfish asswipes.

Its not like there arent hundreds of miles of paved bike trails on the east side. :rant:

sorry to hijack, when I saw that law it got me a little pissed. :D

Back on topic, my daughter has been riding on some limited rides around the nearby countryside since she was 9. She sports full gear. I would NEVER take her into Columbus. too dangerous.

Edited by max power

Per Ohio law the youngster must be able to rest his/her feet on the foot pegs.

Also' date=' regarding lane sharing it is legal on a motorcycle, in Ohio, to ride 2 abreast.

[b']§ 4511.55. Riding bicycles; motorcycles abreast.

(A) Every person operating a bicycle upon a roadway shall ride as near to the right side of the roadway as practicable obeying all traffic rules applicable to vehicles and exercising due care when passing a standing vehicle or one proceeding in the same direction.

(B) Persons riding bicycles or motorcycles upon a roadway shall ride not more than two abreast in a single lane, except on paths or parts of roadways set aside for the exclusive use of bicycles or motorcycles.

© This section does not require a person operating a bicycle to ride at the edge of the roadway when it is unreasonable or unsafe to do so. Conditions that may require riding away from the edge of the roadway include when necessary to avoid fixed or moving objects, parked or moving vehicles, surface hazards, or if it otherwise is unsafe or impracticable to do so, including if the lane is too narrow for the bicycle and an overtaking vehicle to travel safely side by side within the lane.

thank you isacc -- this is info i didnt know. very helpful and appreciated!

A little late for a reply but I dont care. Didn't read any of the other replies either so I dont know what has already been said. I've got 2 kids and dont hesitate to ride. When it's my time or my wife's time to go, we are gonna die wether we are in the truck on the bike or walking down the street. My daughter is 6 and is starting to ride pillion with me this year.

part of me believes this whole heartedly. we just dont have that much control over our lives. i think its very realistic

Wow. I showed up way late in this conversation. But here's my $.02.

I had ridden about 10 years before my kids were born with their mom all the time. After my son (the oldest of the two, 8 y.o.) cam along, we discussed not riding 2 up anymore. We did, not as frequently, but I am not sure it was by design and more dictated by simply less riding time available then. Then my daughter came along, and I was sans MC. When I picked up the RC, she went out a few times with me. It's something I guess you always consider. But it was part of our lifestyle, and still is mine. We have decided to split up now, so that probably takes care of any 2 for 1 death scenarios on a bike. But my kids have grown up around the motorcycle and racing community, and I have taken my son out a few times. My daughter I have not because she is so small for her age I cannot find safety gear to fit her that I am comfortable enough putting her in to ride. Til I do, she will begrudginly spectate. Hell, I am more worried about her in a school bus than I am on the back of my bike. But just as we have our love for football in my house, we love motorcycles as well, and it's a big part of things I do with my kids. When they are old enough, if it's no longer something they are interested in and go off and find new hobbies, then mre power to them. But Zach has never turned down tickets to Mid Ohio, and my daugher cries like crazy whe she hasn't gone. And that makes me a happy daddy!

As far as the crotchrocket/sportbike debate that has gone on ad nauseum, my c*ck is my crotchrocket. My bike is a sportbike, or to trace it's lineage back further, a cafe racer, a term I always had an affinity for. I dig crusiers, would love to be able to afford a custom chopper and would ride it if I had one, and do find some HDs appealing. (But not dh's.) I hate haters, not hater's bikes.

As far as the crotchrocket/sportbike debate that has gone on ad nauseum, my c*ck is my crotchrocket.

OK Admins?? seersly. I REALLY need "slapping my forehead" and "exasperated sigh" emoticons added to the emoticon library STAT

OK Admins?? seersly. I REALLY need "slapping my forehead" and "exasperated sigh" emoticons added to the emoticon library STAT

Oh c'mon, devildog! You can come up with some way of articulating your exasperations effectively without the use of pictures! :D

Oh c'mon, devildog! You can come up with some way of articulating your exasperations effectively without the use of pictures! :D

No sir.. It's already a struggle using my High Scool words on this forum. I normally communicate using a series of grunts and tongue clicks.

No sir.. It's already a struggle using my High Scool words on this forum. I normally communicate using a series of grunts and tongue clicks.

Hey now. Easy on the sir stuff. My rank was on my sleeve, not my collar, and I am damn proud of that. :)

I have found now as a father that the grunts and tongue clicks are more effective with my kids than actual words. It helps with some of the knucklehads around here too.

Hey now. Easy on the sir stuff. My rank was on my sleeve, not my collar, and I am damn proud of that. :)

You still outrank me, princess... I'm a civilian. I'm not one of those chicks who thinks she wears her dude's rank... you and he both can HAVE that dirty work :D.. with my thanks and respect.

Are you feeling the love? Cuz I'm feeling the LOVE.

You still outrank me, princess... I'm a civilian. I'm not one of those chicks who thinks she wears her dude's rank... you and he both can HAVE that dirty work :D.. with my thanks and respect.

Are you feeling the love? Cuz I'm feeling the LOVE.

I am feelin' it! I thought that was your EGA you were sporting. But if that's your man's you still have respect for it, and that to me is damn near as good. Give your man a hearty ooh rah for me.

I am feelin' it! I thought that was your EGA you were sporting. But if that's your man's you still have respect for it, and that to me is damn near as good. Give your man a hearty ooh rah for me.

Nope.. I'm just another supporter. Consider the ooh rah dutifully delivered... or you can tell him yourself, he is a member of this group.

This is her first year on the street though she has ridden dirt since she was 2 months old :lol:

We have a "buddy belt" that she holds on to. I'd post a pic of it, but I'm replying from my phone

i appreciate the humor behind havin our kids on bikes so early... we are careful with them at the young age. we used to go out to the dry lake beds in the desert where its wide open and flat, tie a rope on the back of the 50 and run behind ours as they ride the bike.. usually this occurs around 2yrs old. my kids are hearty stock so they had gear on that fit them as well.