Tax and title on a motorcycle...

Dubguy85

It depends on what rate you paid.....and where you live.

You will not have to pay if your Tax rate is the same.....Like say you paid 7% there...and your rate here is 7% as well....the tax has been paid.

If you paid only say 6% there...and your county rate is 7% here..you still owe the 1% difference.

I just went through exactly this when I bought my truck from a dealer in indiana Last year.

First off, you pay state tax when you register the vehicle where you live. Some dealers will take the tax and pay it to the correct state for you but you shouldn't pay sales tax on an out of state vehicle purchase because you will have to pay to the state once you register it.

First off, you pay state tax when you register the vehicle where you live. Some dealers will take the tax and pay it to the correct state for you but you shouldn't pay sales tax on an out of state vehicle purchase because you will have to pay to the state once you register it.

Totally not true.....And True at the same time.

If he bought it from a dealer in Indy...they should as you say pay that tax to the state of Ohio and should show on your paperwork what tax's were paid.

You should not have to pay it again if the correct amount was collected.

You might have to go back to the dealer and get the correct paperwork to make this happen..but you should only have to pay whatever your county percentage is....Unless you paid more than that in Indy.....in which case..you will have paid more tax's than you had to.....or should have.

I just went through all of this and the dealer I worked with knew exactly what to do....and had you asked..if this was a bigger dealership...they likely would have supplied you with all of the appropriate papers needed.

Call the Title Bureau on tuesday and ask them and you should get exactly this answer for the most part.

Now..If that dealer does not participate in filing the tax in the appropriate state....I am not sure what can be done.

Ohio doesn't care where it comes from...they just want to get paid on every sale.

Hopefully this helps...but It should work out for you if this is a reputable and larger dealer.

They changed the laws about a year ago where some states charge other states tax. Ohio dealers have to charge certain states tax now as well, last I checked, it depends on the state, but it may be all of them now. Not 100% sure

MattKatz is exactly right on how it works though.

It really depends on what state it's titled in. If it's titled in OH then you wont have to pay anything more sales tax, you already paid it. If it's titled in IN, then when you get the title transfered to OH, if you paid less in taxes in IN than you would have paid in OH then you will have to pay the difference.

It really depends on what state it's titled in. If it's titled in OH then you wont have to pay anything more sales tax, you already paid it. If it's titled in IN, then when you get the title transfered to OH, if you paid less in taxes in IN than you would have paid in OH then you will have to pay the difference.

Yep, exactly. I'm getting ready to buy a bike for my girl in MI, where they will charge me 6% (pretty sure anyway). When I register here in Franklin Co. I will have to make up the .75% difference.

Yep, exactly. I'm getting ready to buy a bike for my girl in MI, where they will charge me 6% (pretty sure anyway). When I register here in Franklin Co. I will have to make up the .75% difference.

Yup, bought my Busa in Detriot. Told them to title it in OH, of course they didn't so I had to pay 1.5% of purchase price when I titled it in OH.

Yup, bought my Busa in Detriot. Told them to title it in OH, of course they didn't so I had to pay 1.5% of purchase price when I titled it in OH.

As a dealer, they don't have a choice. It has to initially be titled in the state it's purchased from, then you have to go through all the mickey mouse BS to get it flipped into an Ohio title. PITA...

As a dealer, they don't have a choice. It has to initially be titled in the state it's purchased from, then you have to go through all the mickey mouse BS to get it flipped into an Ohio title. PITA...

Yeah, found that out after the fact. Would've been nice if they would have told me that they couldn't do it.

Yeah, found that out after the fact. Would've been nice if they would have told me that they couldn't do it.

Yeah no shit, but of course they're not gonna tell you anything you don't wanna hear that may discourage you from buying the bike there.