do you have junk fairings?

Just2EZ05

Hey guys i need your help. Ive been experimenting by powdercoating fairings. I almost have it dialed in. by using longer cure times at lower temperature im getting the parts cured without any warpage. but before i do a good set i still want to keep experimenting and dial in the temps and time to an exact. So im looking for anyone who has junk fairings laying around and would want to donate them. Ill pay shipping.

thanks alot

Mike

I have a pretty rashed up fairing from my F4i. if you figure out shipping from Troy, OH 45373 and send me a USPS money order for shipping, you can have it. DOnt want to mess with Paypal since they charge 3% for transaction fee. We have a UPS store here. Not sure what shipping carrier you wanted to use

Sweet. Im pretty sure you can send them out collect. Ill check it out

I really appreciate the help.

I experimented with two fairings today. the first one I slowy ramped up in the oven to see the melting point. After the first one was wasted I put in my other donor fairing. Here is the good news, I sprayed the the fairng and cured it at a low temp for a long period of time and burned the powder. This tells me I can cure it at lower temps. I just need to get the time figured out now. I also did some QC tests on them today and passed.

No promises but from what i found out today it looks like it can be done. Plus the powder in theroy according to the sherwin williams rep will bond better with plastic than any other substrate since powder is basically plastic dust.

I will get some pics of the test fairings i did today soon.

Thanks Mike

we used to do that with boots in military , 150 degree oven put leather luster on em , bake for 20 minutes , coat again and repeat 3 more times. had to leave oven door open slightly. looked like patent leather Corps Frames when done. took some experimenting to get the temp right , so im sure you will get what your after . good luck.

how are you going to fit large fairings in a oven? some fairings are rather gigantic. take a gsxr set of race fairings. you would need a walk in oven.

seems impractical when I can paint a set in an hour and they are ready to be mounted in 2-3 hours.

how would the body fillers hold up in those high temps for one. probably going to ruin more sets than anything.

but I'm still rooting for you. sounds very interesting.

Edited by serpentracer

how are you going to fit large fairings in a oven? some fairings are rather gigantic. take a gsxr set of race fairings. you would need a walk in oven.

seems impractical when I can paint a set in an hour and they are ready to be mounted in 2-3 hours.

how would the body fillers hold up in those high temps for one. probably going to ruin more sets than anything.

but I'm still rooting for you. sounds very interesting.

Well I have a large oven. I wouldnt say it qould be practical if you wanted a quick paint job. however if you wanted a crazy show quality candy lime green or somthing like that it would deff be less then half the cost to have them coated vs. having a body shop do them.

• 2 weeks later...