bike night at quaker steak and lube

oldschoolsdime92

Tonight after I left bike night at quaker steak and lube and were going down col. glen. There was a "team mullet" drag bike in front of all of us. I think it was a suzuki gs1000. great looking bike. anywho, I was riding along at the very back of the pack doing like 35. and passed a fairborn police officer. and some guy on another bike takes off and does god knows how fast. im still just cruising along. next thing i know im getting pulled over! He tells me hes pulling me over for having the visor up on my helmet, and not having saftey glasses. I suppose its legit, thats the law. I wear regular eye glasses, but thats not good enough. He takes my licences and comes back and tells me I need to get home its almost dark. I ask him what that has to do with anything and he told me that my licences says novice. that means i cant ride on the highway, after dark, with a passenger, and whatever else the laws are for a permit. He continued to tell me that i just had my permit and did not have my motorcycle endorsement. I showed it to him on my licences, and even showed him my card of completion of the MSF course(grantid its just a peice of paper and doesnt mean much) but it got me my endorcement.Needless to say i just got a warning, and told to get home because it was almost dark, Is this kind of stuff common practice out of fairborn officers to not know what the rules are on such subjects?? If so I dont think I will frequent bike night as much as planned.

he is correct for one year after getting your license you must wear a helmet and the rules of being on temps apply

All of those temp restrictions go away when you get your endorsement. The only rule left is that you must wear your helmet at all times during the first year. You are allowed to ride at night, on highways, with passengers, etc.

He tells me hes pulling me over for having the visor up on my helmet, and not having saftey glasses. I suppose its legit, thats the law.

That's a law? :confused:

As for the novice thing, that fucked with a Michigan Sheriff up here when we got pulled over too. He started handing back licenses and looks at me and goes, "Son, do you even HAVE your endorsement?" So I had to point out to him the whole novice notice on the card and where the real endorsement was.

i tried to show him the big M under endorcements and everything I thought it was crazy. I told him all the novice thing means is that i have to wear a helmet for a year,( and besides id ride with a helmet regardless of how long id been riding) but he just went on his whole speil about how novice meant it was my permit and, he kept rambling off the permit rules.

had the same thing happen to me last summer. It was just getting dark and I was riding back with a buddy of mine. He just has his permit, I had my endorsement. So he pulled us over saying it was dark and neither of us were supposed to be out. Showed him my license (had been a few months since getting it) told me the 'system' said I had a permit. He let us go but still wtf....

Tonight after I left bike night at quaker steak and lube and were going down col. glen. There was a "team mullet" drag bike in front of all of us. I think it was a suzuki gs1000. great looking bike. anywho, I was riding along at the very back of the pack doing like 35. and passed a fairborn police officer. and some guy on another bike takes off and does god knows how fast. im still just cruising along. next thing i know im getting pulled over! He tells me hes pulling me over for having the visor up on my helmet, and not having saftey glasses. I suppose its legit, thats the law. I wear regular eye glasses, but thats not good enough. He takes my licences and comes back and tells me I need to get home its almost dark. I ask him what that has to do with anything and he told me that my licences says novice. that means i cant ride on the highway, after dark, with a passenger, and whatever else the laws are for a permit. He continued to tell me that i just had my permit and did not have my motorcycle endorsement. I showed it to him on my licences, and even showed him my card of completion of the MSF course(grantid its just a peice of paper and doesnt mean much) but it got me my endorcement.Needless to say i just got a warning, and told to get home because it was almost dark, Is this kind of stuff common practice out of fairborn officers to not know what the rules are on such subjects?? If so I dont think I will frequent bike night as much as planned.

just take a different path.. I hate fairborn! They sit and wait on thursday's knowing we are going to be out and just hoping one of us fucks up. Just go through dayton probably best to take col glenn to needmore to dixie/25a

he is correct for one year after getting your license you must wear a helmet and the rules of being on temps apply

ok that makes sense but what if ive had my endorsement on my nj licence for 3 years and just got it transfered to an ohio licence a few months ago. how do they know how long its been?

The face shield reason the cop gave you is BS. Eyeglasses qualify as "Other" protective devices, see below. Yea you have to scroll a bit but I bolded it so it's easer to find. Feel free to print this out and keep it under the seat.

4511.53 Operation of bicycles, motorcycles and snowmobiles.

(A) For purposes of this section, “snowmobile” has the same meaning as given that term in section 4519.01 of the Revised Code.

(B) No person operating a bicycle shall ride other than upon or astride the permanent and regular seat attached thereto or carry any other person upon such bicycle other than upon a firmly attached and regular seat thereon, and no person shall ride upon a bicycle other than upon such a firmly attached and regular seat.

No person operating a motorcycle shall ride other than upon or astride the permanent and regular seat or saddle attached thereto, or carry any other person upon such motorcycle other than upon a firmly attached and regular seat or saddle thereon, and no person shall ride upon a motorcycle other than upon such a firmly attached and regular seat or saddle.

No person shall ride upon a motorcycle that is equipped with a saddle other than while sitting astride the saddle, facing forward, with one leg on each side of the motorcycle.

No person shall ride upon a motorcycle that is equipped with a seat other than while sitting upon the seat.

No person operating a bicycle shall carry any package, bundle, or article that prevents the driver from keeping at least one hand upon the handle bars.

No bicycle or motorcycle shall be used to carry more persons at one time than the number for which it is designed and equipped, nor shall any motorcycle be operated on a highway when the handle bars or grips are more than fifteen inches higher than the seat or saddle for the operator.

No person shall operate or be a passenger on a snowmobile or motorcycle without using safety glasses or other protective eye device(1). No person who is under the age of eighteen years, or who holds a motorcycle operator’s endorsement or license bearing a “novice” designation that is currently in effect as provided in section 4507.13 of the Revised Code, shall operate a motorcycle on a highway, or be a passenger on a motorcycle, unless wearing a protective helmet on the person’s head, and no other person shall be a passenger on a motorcycle operated by such a person unless similarly wearing a protective helmet. The helmet, safety glasses, or other protective eye device shall conform with regulations prescribed and promulgated by the director of public safety(2). The provisions of this paragraph or a violation thereof shall not be used in the trial of any civil action.

© Nothing in this section shall be construed as prohibiting the carrying of a child in a seat or trailer that is designed for carrying children and is firmly attached to the bicycle.

(D) Except as otherwise provided in this division, whoever violates this section is guilty of a minor misdemeanor. If, within one year of the offense, the offender previously has been convicted of or pleaded guilty to one predicate motor vehicle or traffic offense, whoever violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor of the fourth degree. If, within one year of the offense, the offender previously has been convicted of two or more predicate motor vehicle or traffic offenses, whoever violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor of the third degree.

Effective Date: 01-01-2004; 09-21-2006; 2008 HB562 09-22-2008

So politely tell the police that you think the law states otherwise and you will see them in court over it.

Keep in mind Mayors court isn't really a court it is a "Hearsay" court.

It is not a "Court Of Record" so you can appeal any ruling of that [sic] court.

Quote the statute and I'll bet they back down.

(1) Other protective device is not defined. It is simply "OTHER"!!! It is not defined as a face shield nor can it be construed as such.

(2) If it has not been banned by the director it can be assumed to be approved is one way of looking at it.

Getting the Dept of public safety to rule on it will prolly never happen.

Citation: http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/4511

Disclamer: I am not a lawyer, but I can cut and paste from the official Ohio site. Proceed at your own risk!

Edited by Strictly Street
accuracy and disclaimer, I am not a lawyer!!!!!

A buddy of mine had the same issue just recently. Left a QS&L bike night, and got pulled over on I-77 because he was a "novice". He had his helmet on.

Can someone backup the theory that having the Novice on your license means you cannot ride at night, with passengers, etc?

My license still says novice, even though i've had my license for about 2.5 years now. I'm due to renew in october, so im trying to wait until then. basically im looking for where it says novice = no highway riding.

I even called the state highway patrol. they told me they couldnt give me an answer to my question (Can i get pulled over/ticketed for having the novice thing on my license, and riding on the freeway?). My other buddy called the BMV, and they said no, your only restricted w/ temps, not novice license. so..Its a grey area?

ORC is your friend.

Novice RC 4511.53 = anyone on your bike has to wear a helmet

Temps = no congested roads or interstate highway, no passengers, no nighttime, must wear helmet and eye protection

As for your "novice" on your 2.5 year old license... it should say "novice until...."

I grew up in fairborn, the cops there (sorry to generalize but never had a good experience with their police) are usually on power trips. They abuse their authority and pull people over for stupid stuff all the time. I remember being a teenager growing up there, and having cops pull friends over for window tint violations, or being pulled over because I didn't use a turn signal (I did, i saw the cop tailing me for a few miles...) I mean just any excuse they can pull you over for to write you a ticket or make sure you're not doing something you shouldn't be... they will. I remember when I was a teenager and they raided the ol' foys breakfast bar and grill before it was owned by mike foy (can't remember the name). Anyways, it was basically a bunch of old timers playing poker in the back. Long story short the police show up in swat gear and semi automatic rifles and about give all these old guys heart attacks. Needless to say the community wasn't happy about the excessive force used to bust a so called "gambling ring". So don't take it personally, be glad he gave you a warning, and just smile on the inside because that city has gone to hell in a handbag and they just don't get enough revenue from all the WT that now lives/breeds there so they target innocent motorists like yourself to increase revenue.

Ok, to clear up for the last time.

"MC NOVICE" ON YOUR LICENSE MEANS THAT YOU ARE REQUIRED BY LAW TO WEAR A HELMET WHEN RIDING FOR THE FIRST YEAR. ONE YEAR AFTER THE ISSUE DATE OF YOUR LICENSE, THAT "MC NOVICE" IS VOID.

;)

It is more like a who has the most polished chrome aftermarket accessorys on the bike competition. Pulling into the lot, cracking the throttle like a mating call, pulling off the fingerless gloves, official OCC sunglasses, signed Jesse James Bandana, skull T-Shirt, bitch beater wallet chain, Live to Ride Ride to Live belt buckle and tat, open pipe, I am sure I missed something feel free to add....Russ

isnt that most of dayton? you could go to the BMV and pickup the motorcycle handbook. the one that details how to get your license and all that. but yeah, I'm pretty sure the cop was in the wrong.