Micro SD question for the Tech Gods on here

Fonzie

Is 2gb the biggest you can get an SD card in NON HC format?

Just tryin' to find a regular 4gb SD card for my BB Curve now, as I've already got a 4gb HC for it. They're all HC that I've found in stores & eBay, and my rep says this'll take HC, but runs quicker with plain SD. Plus he thinks the HC is why I'm having probs synching it with my desktop. Computer keeps telling me F drive error, 'cause it recognizes the BB as an F drive

He's telling me to take the HC card out each time I synch, and that should alleviate the error message....But then I'm not gonna be able to store stuff to the SD card???

Edited by Fonzie

I'm not sure about your errors, but i use the HC Micro on my phone. You should be able to use a standard sd adaptor and your card reader to manipulate the files on your HC microsd... Might be more of a pita, but it should work

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital_card#Compatibility_issues_with_2_GB_and_larger_cards

Looks like a confusing topic as there might be some "non SDHC" 4GB cards made but no guarantee of compatibility. (I believe SD vs microSD is just a form-factor thing... no difference in the specification on how data is written to the device.)

I have an SD-based camera that I can put 4GB SDHC cards in but once I exceed 2GB of data written... the video gets corrupted.

I found this on a Blackberry support forum for the 8300's:

Currently the BlackBerry smartphones running the following BlackBerry® Device Software versions will support up to the size listed.

BlackBerry Device Software Media Card Size Limit

BlackBerry Device Software 4.2.0 Up to 2GB

BlackBerry Device Software 4.2.1 Up to 4GB

BlackBerry Device Software 4.2.2 Up to 4GB

BlackBerry Device Software 4.3.0 Up to 8GB

My Curve's an 8330

Supposedly it has the latest software. I'm running 4.5.0.127

I've found some discrepancies if it'll handle 4 or 8gb max