Help on storing my bike

buckeyenut

after using that would I still have to have someone start my bike up for me every now and then, or just leave it sit until I get home?

http://www.goldeagle.com/sta-bil/faqs_stabil_detail.asp?product=sta-bil&ID=2

How long will STA-BIL Fuel Stabilizer keep fuel fresh? For 12 months when mixed into fresh gasoline. Doubling the dosage will keep fuel fresh for up to 2 years.

Be sure to fill the tank ALL THE WAY UP... Any air in there can allow moisture to accumulate and rust the inside of your tank. Pull the battery out of course... Also, pulling the plugs and misting the cylinders with oil isn't a bad idea either...

Personally, I'd pull and drain the tank when I got back on top of Stabil. Stabil with keep your gas from turning into sludge and laquer, but I wouldn't want to run gas that old through my motor.

The only other thing I would do is tape off the exhaust just after spraying the inside of the can w WD-40... That will keep which ever exhaust valve is open from allowing that cylinder to rust. Even if you pull the plugs and spray the cylinders w oil they can still draw moisture through the exhaust and rust the valve, the valve stem or the top of the cylinder. The rings might be ok but the cylinder walls could rust and do just as much dmg. Instead of spraying the cylinders w oil which could just sit there use WD-40. It will displace the moisture and keep it sparkling inside. Plus it will burn off easier when you restart it. WD-40 is not a lubricant ie"Water Displacing formula 40" and

silicone or oil can be used when restarting but use very little as everything should be clean and rust free. The key to the least dmg is dump the oil just before storage and replace w clean oil but no need to replace the oil filter as you will do that before restarting. Spray the cylinders and reconnect everything except disconnect the ignition. Rechange the oil as it will be contaminated just from sitting and replace the filter. Turn the engine over until the oil light goes out and recheck oil level. Then connect the ignition

and start the bike. Allow it to idle until it warms up and then ride as normal. Hope this helps... kill some terrorists for me.:D

P.S. you can deflate the tires and they will survive the store time better if you spray them w Dupont Tire shine as long as you understand that they will

need to be cleaned w a brush and some Dawn before riding...

Good call on plugging the exhaust... Nothing would suck more than figuring out that there is a nest of some crazy shit living up in your bike.

Yea, and with all the smoke from the exhaust the bees would go directly to the hive and gorge themselves on the hunny and plug the exhaust w their dead bodies. Talk about running like shit.