Bike Trip-Opinions/Ideas/Advice Needed

Artmageddon

I have decided to take a week off in August and do a solo bike trip(I like being alone, and for this trip, I don't want to have to anything but what I want to do, it's hard to do when you are with others.)

I have a few ideas in mind, but I wanted to get some opinions on a nice trip.

I'll be leaving on Fri Evening the 14th, and would like to be back late Saturday the 22nd, that way I have the 23rd as a time cushion or a day of rest. That's 8½ days, figured I would head out for 4, then have 4 to get back with a half day extra to play around with.

I'm not going to kill myself riding iron butt, I know I can easily do 400 or 500 miles a day, so that will be about my max. I don't want to stress about reaching destinations either, so if one day I only ride 200, or one day I manage 600, cool, no worries.

It's more about the adventure to me, not neccessarily reaching points on a map.

Here are my 2 trip ideas so far, I'm open to suggestions.

1. Columbus to Albuquerque via old Route 66. Cliched, I know, but it has to be popular for a reason.

The route is approx. Columbus >St Louis> Tulsa> Amarillo> Albuquerque. I like the west, have been to a few places, but I have always flown to my destination. I would probably stop a few places along the way and sight see. This one seems like more of an adventure to me.

2. Columbus to Sebring, Florida( Near Orlando). Why? my mom and stepdad have a house there for retirement in a few years. I can go Columbus to Savannah, down the coast and into Florida. I like the ocean, have a place to stay down there and use as home base for some other traveling while I'm there, maybe the Keys.

What would you guys do? Any other ideas? I don't want to go Northeast, Michigan/ Wisconsin area is okay, but I would rather go elsewhere. I've considered the Gulf, I love New Orleans.

I would tell you that i trailored my bike down to Hilton Head last winter several times. I absolutely loved riding in the Savannah, Beuafort (sp) and Charrleston are. That is just me though... i love the south!!

Hope you have a great time bro!

It depends what kind of riding you like to do.

Do you want to reach a destination, or do you want to ride fun, curvy roads?

I've done two trips through WV and VA that were about 2,000 miles over 4 days. There are some amazing, unknown backroads in that area. Seneca Rocks & Canaan Valley (WV) are great motorcycle destinations.

One of these days I'm going to ride to Vegas.

It depends what kind of riding you like to do.

Do you want to reach a destination, or do you want to ride fun, curvy roads?

I've done two trips through WV and VA that were about 2,000 miles over 4 days. There are some amazing, unknown backroads in that area. Seneca Rocks & Canaan Valley (WV) are great motorcycle destinations.

One of these days I'm going to ride to Vegas.

I don't mind some twisties, but a highly technical ride is not what I'm looking for, WV will always be there and it's nearby, so I'll skip it on this ride.

I guess I just want to get the fuck away from everything, be out on my own and explore. Just want some nice cruising roads with good scenery, little traffic, and a clear mind. Like I said, destination isn't all that important, I'm not going to exhaust myself trying to get to some far off place.

This trip is for relaxing. :)

Why weigh down YOUR adventure by involving the ideas of others. You have the days and the mileage you want to cover in those days. Pick your destination within that mileage and GO!

Enjoy and tell us all about it when you get back. Don't forget the camera. ok.gif

The Journey of a Thousand Miles Begins with a Single Turn of the Throttle!

It’s what Lao Tzu meant to say.

For solo isolation, the North and Northwest states, over to the Pacific coast. Stunning scenery. Co-worker just took off on one of those. He's previously done the old two lane route to Florida. Both are good. I've seen websites for all these motorcycle trips, including route 66 from it's origin in Chicago. Very popular subjects.

definitely need more for time for that. Maybe could be done, but wouldn't be enjoyable.

Rte 66 is something I want to do with my boys. I have earmarked when their last year or 2 of high school.

We road out west to Cali & back when I was 10. I rode in the hack. FYI.... It took us 2 weeks. I know you're not going that far, but I also wanted to point out that we didn't spend very long at any tourist attraction either

Do you have your passport.....What about Nova Scotia? Perfect time of year to head north. We've ridden up to Manitoba when I was younger too. It's over up above Minnesota

Almost forgot...... If you do FLA, what about ridin' the Keys? Honeymooned down there, and I've always thought it'd be pretty sweet to ride the bridges

Reading between your lines.....Everything OK with you?

Edited by Fonzie

Why weigh down YOUR adventure by involving the ideas of others. You have the days and the mileage you want to cover in those days. Pick your destination within that mileage and GO!

Enjoy and tell us all about it when you get back. Don't forget the camera. ok.gif

The Journey of a Thousand Miles Begins with a Single Turn of the Throttle!

It’s what Lao Tzu meant to say.

I hear ya, and trust me, I'll do whatever I want, that is why is a solo ride.

I only asked because a lot of folks on here ride long distances, if there is some cool ride or stop that I don't know about that might interest me, it was worth a post and a question.

I'm just information gathering at this point. I probably won't decide anything until a few days ahead of time.

Edited by Artmageddon

Reading between your lines.....Everything OK with you?

Thanks for asking, but yeah, actually I'm better than I have been in years. :badgerrock:

That is the point of the trip; right now I feel good, have the time, and bit of extra money to do it.

Come September, it's back to work on my masters, I work full time, and I have a feeling that in the next year or two my wife and I will have a child. Road trips like this will be few and far between.

I just want to take advantage of the freedom I have at this moment.

In that case, Route 66 would be my choice. I'm sure there is plenty to see along the way. The great thing about a trip without a firm destination is you can explore and follow whatever catches your eye.

Never understood the fascination with Route 66

route-66.gif

Fully half of my friends from the UK have a burning desire to ride it. And those that have have a burning desire to never do it again. It pretty much sucks - hard to find actual portions of the road, most of it east of New Mexico is along interstates.

There's not shit to see east of Santa Fe, either. Santa Fe is nice, but it starts to blow after that until you get into California.

Weather will be beyond hot as well, If I had 8+ days to ride, this would be the last choice.

Other options:

1) Ride the length of the Blue Ridge Parkway and the Shenandoah Mtns area in PA - great rides. Work in a day or two at the Smithsonian in DC while you're at it.

2) Hit Colorado, Utah and Idaho. Some of the best riding and scenery in the USA. Sucks bewteen Ohio and Colorado though - not much you can do while crossing the plains other than search for fuel. Not a lot out there.

3) Florida to see Mom could be great if you incorporate a route through the Smokies and via Savannah, GA. I love that place. Cool places to stay, eat and drink along the waterfront area.

4) Lap of the Great Lakes - you want solitude? There's not shit up there as far as people go - especially along the Canadian side of Lake Superior. Loads of places to just pull of the road and camp. Few hotels, but enogh to get you by. Watch for moose after dark, bastards are everywhere!

4) Beach Ride - head to Virginia and ride teh coast all the way to Florida. Kinda crowded in areas, but lots to see and places to stay, eat, fuel are in abundance.

Anything further west than Utah will take more time - especially on a cruiser bike. I did Laguna Seca in 9 days on a sport tourer, but we did big miles each day at elevated speeds. Need more time to go west.

I've ridden all over the US - if you have a question about a specific area, let me know and I'll try to help. Should ahve some pics of ,most of the areas as well...someplace around here.

Have fun whatever you do!

Edited by Earache

Some Utah, Colorado pics here:

http://www.ohio-riders.com/showthread.php?t=30470

Santa Fe here:

http://www.ohio-riders.com/showthread.php?t=18852&highlight=santa

This was a car trip over Xmas last year - shows what Texas and Route 66 looks like though.

Edited by Earache

definitely need more for time for that. Maybe could be done, but wouldn't be enjoyable.

A ride to Mount Rushmore is very doable in 8 days! We had a KLR 650, Honda 650XL, and V-strom. Day three 9am we were at the Bad lands, followed by Mount Rushmore, Needles, Crazy Hourse, Lead and Deadwood. Day Four we left Sturgis for Devils Tower and were in Livingston North of Yellowstone that evening.

CloseEncounteroftheADVkind.jpg

JaTDevilsTowerfront.jpg

CloseEncounteroftheV-strom.jpg

For a bit more relaxed ride try a ride up to the Adirondacks. You could take two leasurly days to get there, ride the park and surrounding area for four days and be back home easy with the last two days.;)

DSCN3070.jpg

Edited by buildit

It's the stops and side routes that kill your time. Yellowstone in four days can be done if you go straight there across 90. But there'd be little or no time to explore the area. I'd love to go back to Sturgis and ride the surrounding areas again. Needles is awsome and has some wonderfull roads to wander around on. The worst part was Crazy Horse. Tourist trap, Nothing to really see. And don't bother going to the mall at Rushmore. Stop along the road and get your photos for free!

Jononrdrushmore.jpg

Crazy Horse

JaTcrazyHorse.jpg

Edited by buildit

Damn, would love to sneak away for 2 days, let alone 8 or more!!!! TRUST ME, go now pre-kids, no matter what the wifey says, you WILL NOT be able to go until the kids are almost out of the house, you'll be old, grey, and not able to go 30 minutes without a rest room break, and a trike starts sounding good....

Ohio to Mt Rushmore seems like a hellava ride for dual sports. Comfy?

I could make it there no problem, but truthfully it doesn't interest me that much. I don't really know what the hell I like.:rolleyes:

One good thing that if and when I do have kids, my wife is a teacher and has summers off. She know if I don't get some alone time here and there I will go insane, I think she would let me get away for a weekend or two, but I don't see a whole week to myself happening again anytime soon. :)

I'm thinking desert or ocean. Complete opposites, but that is how my mind works.

The only problem with going west is what you guys are saying, it is boring as hell until you get far west, and don't want to rush to get anywhere. I figured 66 would be much better than 70 through Kansas, which could quite possible be the most boring area in the world.

I wish I could do a few more days and make it the coast, I've never been to the pacific. Albuquerque seems about the max distance I can go fairly easily. Even though I know I can make it further, I don't want to be doing 1000 mile days to make it back in time, and I want to feel free to stop and piss around if I feel like it.

Canada is out, the last time I went to there or Mexico you didn't passports, so I never bothered, not going to now either.

South east/ coastal / FL would be quite enjoyable, but I've done it before in a Jeep. I think it would be a little more cost as well, I don't see being able to camp as much. Very populated as well.

Even so, I'm leaning toward this.

I dunno. Maybe I'll just flip a coin, and then go the opposite way that it tells me.

I guess I just want to get the fuck away from everything, be out on my own and explore. Just want some nice cruising roads with good scenery, little traffic, and a clear mind. Like I said, destination isn't all that important, I'm not going to exhaust myself trying to get to some far off place.

This trip is for relaxing. :)

IMO flip a coin to decide which direction to head out of town and just start going that way. let the road take you where it wants.