:( HD riders PLEASE wear your gear

ChickOn2

http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/dayton-news/dual-memorials-follow-fatal-motorcycle-crash-220145.html

ddn072709locFatal1_539260c.jpg

Aaron Adams and Amy Dorn at a wedding about 20 minutes before they were killed in a crash on June 25, just east of Lebanon. Contributed photo

By Lawrence Budd, Staff Writer Updated 1:01 AM Monday, July 27, 2009

No one will ever know how far Amy Dorn and Aaron Adams would have made it together.

Dorn, 22, of Lebanon, and Adams, 26, of Wayne Twp., Warren County, had been dating for about a year when they were killed June 25 after a pickup truck crashed into the motorcycle they were riding east of Lebanon.

Adams’ mother believes her son had found his soul mate.

“I know she was gonna be the one Aaron was going to spend the rest of his life with,” Penny Adams said, fighting tears.

According to the Ohio Highway Patrol, Amber Rogers, 40, of Bald Knob, Ark., was eastbound on Ohio 123 in a 2002 Ford F-250 Supercab when she crossed the center line and nearly struck a westbound car before crashing into Adams’ 2006 Harley Davidson Softail.

The collision knocked Adams and Dorn, neither wearing a helmet, off the bike, according to reports. They were both pronounced dead at the scene.

Rogers, who was wearing no seatbelt, was treated for minor injuries, cited for misdemeanor vehicular homicide, as well as traveling left of center and failure to wear a seatbelt.

She remains free without bond, pending an Aug. 6 hearing in Lebanon Municipal Court.

Rogers — living in the area while working on the underground pipeline currently under construction from north of Lebanon to eastern Ohio — told troopers she was heading home, but had a limited memory of the crash.

She said she had taken a painkiller about four hours before the accident. Authorities are awaiting blood test results.

Adams and Dorn were on their way to meet friends after attending a wedding at Camp Kern, according to friends and family.

“We were going to ride together,” friend Brandon Fischer said.

Fischer’s cell phone indicates he last talked to the couple at 7:54 p.m., 16 minutes before the 911 call.

“I had no idea that was going to be our last call,” said Fischer, who met Adams while they attended school in Waynesville.

Fischer credited Adams with helping him over the past decade to deal with personal problems, as well as the death of his father and a close mutual friend, Jonathan Frye, 21, of Spring Valley, killed four years ago in an ATV accident.

Adams, a water department worker for the city of Lebanon, was introduced to Dorn by her boss, Bruce Osborne, owner of Osborne Excavating.

Dorn, a longtime 4-H participant, loved horses and helped her mother, Wendy Davis, of the Los Vaqueros horse club.

“She was a big tomboy,” Davis said.

Dorn graduated from Springboro High School in 2005.

Earlier this month, a benefit dance for 4-H at Springboro High School honored Dorn and Karol Stegemoller, 17, a senior killed Feb. 22, 2002, after her Jeep went left of center and collided head-on along U.S. 50 while visiting her sister at Ohio University in Athens.

On Saturday, Aug. 1, Frye and Adams will be remembered when Fischer and other members of their circle of friends get together for a fourth annual memorial at Miami Cemetery in Corwin.

“To have two of them gone is hard for the mind to accept,” Fischer said.

Edited by ChickOn2

Yes, indeed, but gear won't save you getting hit head on by a 3 ton truck.

Sadly, it's true. You get some cager hopped up on painkillers right in front of you, and all the gear in the world won't save you.

What it will save is if you are able to swerve in time and dump the bike. Swerve, dump, slide, stand up, it's clobberin' time!

Yes, indeed, but gear won't save you getting hit head on by a 3 ton truck.

I just can't help but think that MAYBE POSSIBLY they could have left this accident broken but breathing if they would have had SOMETHING on. I know it's beside the point now.... :(

Especially HER. He really should have insisted on some type of protection for his passenger. My guy has been known to hide my bike keys when I even hint that I am going to ride without gear. Yeah it annoys me at the time, but it's because he cares about my well-being.

That aside' date=' this story is unfortunate and I wish more people (read:all) would wear gear. That is not going to happen so.. what to do?[/quote']

Yes riders should wear gear, but more and more I hear about riders dying because they were hit by a car. Instead of pushing everyone to wear gear (I believe its your choice), we should be pushing for motorcycle awareness. If more drivers were looking out for us, less of us would be getting creamed by cars.

Actually' date=' it has been my experience that they don't need gear because "I just don't fall down."

That aside, this story is unfortunate and I wish more people (read:all) would wear gear. That is not going to happen so.. what to do?[/quote']

I can only show them the door but it's not my job to push them kicking and screaming through it.

Yes riders should wear gear, but more and more I hear about riders dying because they were hit by a car. Instead of pushing everyone to wear gear (I believe its your choice), we should be pushing for motorcycle awareness. If more drivers were looking out for us, less of us would be getting creamed by cars.

Lots of things can cause you to wreck that will kill you, that have nothing to do with awareness. Mechanical failure, animals, defects in the road, spilled diesel, etc.

Gear is because you can't control all of those variables.

All good points.

ATGATT

defensive rding

BE AWARE at all times of the vehicles around you. I have a friend that rides with no gear while listening to his IPOD.

Riding a bike requires total attention on the road, on the vehicles around you and requires all your senses.

RIP. It's sad. I wish more riders would pay attention to these warnings..

Lots of things can cause you to wreck that will kill you, that have nothing to do with awareness. Mechanical failure, animals, defects in the road, spilled diesel, etc.

Gear is because you can't control all of those variables.

+1

Especially HER. He really should have insisted on some type of protection for his passenger. My guy has been known to hide my bike keys when I even hint that I am going to ride without gear. Yeah it annoys me at the time, but it's because he cares about my well-being.

I haven't let anyone ride with me yet because I don't feel ready to take being responsible for someone else's life, and when you have a passenger, you have their life in your hands.

RIP

+1

Actually many of those things you mention are related to awareness. Animals in the road, oil etc.

Though no one can be constantly scanning for debris etc. 100% of the time. Everyone takes time to enjoy the view at some point.

All we can do is, as you said, minimize the chances with gear and common sense.

I feel very sad for this couple regardless ...so many careless cagers.