Adventure Bikes the US will Never see

buildit

I haven't said anything negative about it's performance, just that it's ugly and parts aren't readily available.

As for budget, I had it narrowed down to the BMW 1200 GS (and the 1200 GS Adventure), the Triumph Tiger (which I still think is the best looking), and the DL-1000. I made my decision based in input from dealers, friends, and reviews. My biggest thing is if I break down between here and Alaska next year, I MUST be able to get parts within a day or two. The BMW, the Triumph, nor the KTM could provide that. However, there are Suzuki dealers almost everywhere and their part availability in the US is 2nd to MAYBE Harley. So no, the KTM wasn't out of my budget.

And lastly, I have sat on one. Felt like it wanted to be too much like a dirt bike. The seat isn't that great. Would suck to strap a tent and such to it without getting racks and hard bags. These are obviously my opinions, which I have a right to voice. I don't like the KTM Adventure 990. Just because it wins the Dakar race, doesn't mean it's the perfect bike for everyone.

Again, parts ARE readily available. You aren't going to get a rad from a dealership on your trip. Lucky if you do, but realistically, they aren't going to carry one. Two, the same will be true with the KTM. Why is it that you guys think the parts aren't available?

Strange the guess work you guys are doing...

As for th newer vs. older modles, there are PLENTY of parts available for a LOT of previous years...

I understand if it doesn't fit you, doesn't look good in your eyes, but to throw out crap about things based on assumptions is crazy and ill informed...

Again, parts ARE readily available. You aren't going to get a rad from a dealership on your trip. Lucky if you do, but realistically, they aren't going to carry one. Two, the same will be true with the KTM. Why is it that you guys think the parts aren't available?

Strange the guess work you guys are doing...

As for th newer vs. older modles, there are PLENTY of parts available for a LOT of previous years...

I understand if it doesn't fit you, doesn't look good in your eyes, but to throw out crap about things based on assumptions is crazy and ill informed...

Dude you're trying way too hard to convince us of intangibles we can measure. I've OWNED big-bore KTM's both new and old, and I lived through waiting months and finally giving up for wear items, having a limited web-based availability. My last Katoom had a damaged triple-tree that was made of unobtanium. I found just one, anywhere, after calls & web searches, even my source at KTM's NA division, and that particular part got snapped up at 3x what it should have cost before I could get my credit card out. Parts availability literally grounded a KTM for me, and if I were on the road and my Strom's triple failed, that same part could be shipped from Oneida, Ayers, Bikebandit, numerous sources within days maybe sooner. That bike was 7 years old at the time, the same age my Strom is now, yet I can get everything for it quickly....from multiple sources.

I can jump on Fleabay and get nearly anything take-off from a Strom, whole motors, you name it. Try to find shit for a 620RXC, good fucking luck. And if you do, it'll be expensive or beat to death. No, bikes are not similar, but what Casper and I are saying is that our view of KTM parts and their accessibility is tangible. It's a real phenomena that wasn't born of assumptions but ownership and web-searching.

I happen to think very highly of KTM machines, I will never assault their quality or performance, just the things I have experience with that are not so good...and I'll do the same to Suzuki where they falter.

Don't let the orange cool aid stain your shirt, I can be validated in choosing another bike, and my reasons are not imaginary nor personal to anyone (except the parts division at KTM, I guess).

Dude you're trying way too hard to convince us of intangibles we can measure. I've OWNED big-bore KTM's both new and old, and I lived through waiting months and finally giving up for wear items, having a limited web-based availability. My last Katoom had a damaged triple-tree that was made of unobtanium. I found just one, anywhere, after calls & web searches, even my source at KTM's NA division, and that particular part got snapped up at 3x what it should have cost before I could get my credit card out. Parts availability literally grounded a KTM for me, and if I were on the road and my Strom's triple failed, that same part could be shipped from Oneida, Ayers, Bikebandit, numerous sources within days maybe sooner. That bike was 7 years old at the time, the same age my Strom is now, yet I can get everything for it quickly....from multiple sources.

I can jump on Fleabay and get nearly anything take-off from a Strom, whole motors, you name it. Try to find shit for a 620RXC, good fucking luck. And if you do, it'll be expensive or beat to death. No, bikes are not similar, but what Casper and I are saying is that our view of KTM parts and their accessibility is tangible. It's a real phenomena that wasn't born of assumptions but ownership and web-searching.

I happen to think very highly of KTM machines, I will never assault their quality or performance, just the things I have experience with that are not so good...and I'll do the same to Suzuki where they falter.

Don't let the orange cool aid stain your shirt, I can be validated in choosing another bike, and my reasons are not imaginary nor personal to anyone (except the parts division at KTM, I guess).

Listen, I understand what used to be the way things were. But, like anything, things change and a lot of times, for the better. Parts are available. We are stronger in street based bikes than ever before. Parts are there, the network is there and even unobtanium things are there.

Ben doesn't have anything tangible to go off. He's looking at Cyclehut. He can go to his local dealer or ANY KTM dealer and get the part tomorrow. Simple. My point is that if you are going to base things off guesses, you are just making yourself look bad.

Your situation is slightly different as you owned one and at least can speak from experience. Ben cannot. I understand your side, but again, even a buddy of mine that had KTMs even 4 -5 years ago has noticed that things are a lot different than before. The point is that we are growing and we are doing things a lot differently.

I don't want to push KTM. I don't give a rat's ass if Ben buys one, rides one or anything. Just don't go spouting facts that are simply not true.

Oh, and the cool aide isn't an issue. Ask anyone I know. They'll tell you that I don't care what people buy and what people think. I will, however, will make a stance when things aren't told correctly. Don't confuse that with me trying to be a salesman...

Dude, Brian. I just proved I can get a radiator for my VStrom overnight where ever I am. I cannot get a radiator For the 990 easily without some searching overnight. You yourself said no dealers keep them in stock, that they'd order from the warehouse, and have I the next day. Then, they'd have to overnight it to me. Best case scenario, two days. So how am I lying about KTM? I'm stating facts backed up with references. You just keep saying the same thing over and over. Prove me wrong. Find a radiator for the 990 that you can get shipped to you the next day. I'm not talking about buying from a local dealer. I'm talking about being on the road, needing to do a repair in the parking lot. If you break down close to home, part availability isn't an issue. If you break down (hit an animal on 80 in South Dakota?) you need parts shipped quick. That's my point which I have proven. You yourself said two days best for a radiator from KTM. I very easily found one for the VStrom which could be shipped overnight. I researched the shit out of these bikes. I'm not spewing at the mouth.

Dude, Brian. I just proved I can get a radiator for my VStrom overnight where ever I am. I cannot get a radiator For the 990 easily without some searching overnight. You yourself said no dealers keep them in stock, that they'd order from the warehouse, and have I the next day. Then, they'd have to overnight it to me. Best case scenario, two days. So how am I lying about KTM? I'm stating facts backed up with references. You just keep saying the same thing over and over. Prove me wrong. Find a radiator for the 990 that you can get shipped to you the next day. I'm not talking about buying from a local dealer. I'm talking about being on the road, needing to do a repair in the parking lot. If you break down close to home, part availability isn't an issue. If you break down (hit an animal on 80 in South Dakota?) you need parts shipped quick. That's my point which I have proven. You yourself said two days best for a radiator from KTM. I very easily found one for the VStrom which could be shipped overnight. I researched the shit out of these bikes. I'm not spewing at the mouth.

Ben, listen... You win.

I can find a dealer with a radiator. My reference to no dealers having them is a GENERAL statement. I can find one. The thing is that some bikes have wear items that are constant replacement items vs. other bikes in their same category. Look at the older R1s with the clutch actuator arms. Typical break items in a low side crash. They are usually an item in stock in dealerships. However, look for one on a GSXR for example... Not usually a carried piece. Reason is that the design of the GSXR is different and it doesn't typically need replaced. Maybe it is a case cover on one vs. another... Apparently, the Strom needs radiators on a regular basis... Who knows?

The thing is that you could go to a local KTM dealer in South Dakota and order it next day right on the spot. You'd get it as quick as you would from Johnny's Internet Parts Supply. Plus, you'd support a dealer vs. a warehouse.

If you are in BFE, guess what? You are gonna be hosed no matter what. You going to have the part shipped to Perkins Pancake house or the Road Side Rest stop?

The problem I have is that you stated the parts aren't there for a KTM. Yes, I work for them and know them a little better than I know the other companies, but the bottom line is that the parts ARE there. A dealer can order next day just like you can. Sure, maybe it is a deal where you win by one day as you may have to call to order it and then have them ship it, but if you are concerned over a series of parts, get with a dealer you know that has a majority of big issue parts in stock. You're looking for Whore price internet companies. But, if you are at a Rest Stop off 80 with no hotels or fuel or anything within say, 60 miles... What then?

You can spin and win all you want. I'll let you call it a victory, but rest assured that KTM DOES carry a lot if not most of the parts in stock. Plus, we have a West and East warehouse and can most likely get that part in 1-2 days NORMAL shipping to a dealer. You can always pay up and get it quicker... I just want to say what you were claiming "parts aren't readily available", you are stating ill facts. They are. Maybe not in your dooms day scenario, but they are available. You can claim that when you are in BFE that you will be an extra day out, but be realistic for once...

By the way, how many of these out in the middle of nowhere trips do you make a year? So far, since you've owned the Strom, how many times have you been so remote and had to have a part replaced on the spot? That argument is warranted, but you are like a lot, if not most riders in that you do day to day commuting and would probably have a mechanical during that typical day to day riding. So, on a majority of the time you own the rig, parts are as accessible as anything else...

By the way, how many of these out in the middle of nowhere trips do you make a year? So far, since you've owned the Strom, how many times have you been so remote and had to have a part replaced on the spot? That argument is warranted, but you are like a lot, if not most riders in that you do day to day commuting and would probably have a mechanical during that typical day to day riding. So, on a majority of the time you own the rig, parts are as accessible as anything else...

As I've stated, I bought the VStrom for my trip to Alaska next year for my 30th birthday.

This year there are a few possibilities. Looking at Nova Scotia, Glacier National Park, and Florida/New Orleans. Not remote, but definitely not close to home.

Can't you buy nearly 2 KLR's for a 990? Just had to get that in there. And yes, I'm cheap

You can buy 7,800 milk crate top boxes for the price of the KTM.

:lol:

I'd have a hard time not buying a KLR over the adventure KTM's. They're every bit as capable, plenty reliable, will go anywhere a 990 will (and then some), and who gives a snot if you beat the crap out of it?

I really don't get the big KTM's, GS800's etc., myself. They're just way too massive to be much fun in anything technical, they're not great tourers compared to a Strom/GS/Tiger, and all of those more street worthy bikes will still go on gravel/hardpack or light trails just fine if you set them up for it.

I guess it depends on where you do all your riding, but I love adventure touring, and I can't rationalize a 990 or GS800 as being useful for the type of riding I do. If I'm not trail riding bad terrain when I get there, the Strom will do everything the 990 will. If I am trail riding when I get there, a DR650 or KLR will do it better than the 990, at half the cost.

I have nothing against anyone who has one and enjoys it, I think those bikes exist in this weird niche that doesn't apply to what I enjoy.

If I only had one bike, I'd own a KLR just for the sheer versatility and frugality of it. It's not great at anything but damn you can take them anywhere from single-track to the superslab and they do it all.

Kind of wish I would have braved up to ask the bro-in-law to take a ride on his F 650 GS last year. He rode from Denver to Coshocton with one stop over for sleep. I know it is not a huge trip for some but I never would have thought to do it on a 650 dual sport.

Kind of wish I would have braved up to ask the bro-in-law to take a ride on his F 650 GS last year. He rode from Denver to Coshocton with one stop over for sleep. I know it is not a huge trip for some but I never would have thought to do it on a 650 dual sport.

The GS650 is a very smooth bike on the pavement...it's very plush. Obviously that hurts it offroad, it's kind of a turd in the dirt, but there are few thumpers made that are as nice on the pavement, I'd tour on one in a heartbeat.

• 4 months later...
EVA Track T800: a 2WD, biodiesel-powered adventure motorcycle

A Dutch company known as EVA has been working on a new diesel-powered adventure tourer for the last few years, and the machines are reportedly ready for sales in Europe. A 54-horsepower oil-burner that's capable of running on biofuels is a great start, and the standard CVT transmission and optional two-wheel drive are icing on the cake. Fuel mileage of 100 miles per gallon at a steady 55 mph is the result, and a six gallon tank means that range will never be a problem.

track_motorcycle_450.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------

27564_0_1_2_allroad_Image%20credits%20-%20Highland.jpg

Model:Highland AllroadYear:2008

Displacement:936.00 ccm (57.11 cubic inches)Engine type:Single cylinderStroke:4Power:85.00 HP (62.0 kW)) @ 6000 RPMTorque:104.00 Nm (10.6 kgf-m or 76.7 ft.lbs) @ 4000 RPMCompression:11.0:1Bore x stroke:95.0 x 66.0 mm (3.7 x 2.6 inches)Ignition:Highland integrated engine management system with ignition coils fitted directly on the spark plugsStarter:ElectricCooling system:LiquidGearbox:6-speedTransmission type

final drive:Chain

When the world goes Mad Max, pear shaped, I now know the motorcycle I want to ride off into the wasteland.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...