Riding With a Passenger

Bigbird

Alright, so I'm going to be riding with a passenger for the first time this week. Aside from the mental adjustments (giving myself more time for...well everything), are there any PHYSICAL adjustments I need to make to my 636? As in adjustments to the bike itself, not to me and how I'm going to sit. I don't have an owners manual so I can't look there...

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just make sure your passenger knows to stay with you on lean angle (not up and down) and have them put their palms on the tank to help support their weight at stops...etc....

otherwise, your performance will just seem sluggish compared to the rest of the time.

Might want to bump up the preload on the rear spring depending on how much your passenger weighs. Otherwise the bike will sag a lot in the rear and completely throw off the dynamics.

It will suck riding with a passenger. More clutch slipping and more RPM to get going. More brakes to stop, more planning your move, and way more attention to balance at lights, stop signs, and such.

It will suck riding with a passenger. More clutch slipping and more RPM to get going. More brakes to stop, more planning your move, and way more attention to balance at lights, stop signs, and such.

really?!?

Any time I've ridden a passenger, I've barely noticed they were there...

the bike seems sluggish, sure, but not to the point of "suck"

of course I'm on the 1100, so maybe it's more noticeable on a 6... :dunno:

Yeeeeeah I'm not exactly thrilled about this first ride. My friend is basically forcing me to take her before anyone else, then my girl and I are going riding for the rest of the evening and then this weekend. I am excited for that, because she's ridden passenger in the past so I know she'll know what she's doing. Thanks for the info guys. How do I bump up the preload on the rear spring...I may need to do this...

Yeeeeeah I'm not exactly thrilled about this first ride. My friend is basically forcing me to take her before anyone else, then my girl and I are going riding for the rest of the evening and then this weekend. I am excited for that, because she's ridden passenger in the past so I know she'll know what she's doing. Thanks for the info guys. How do I bump up the preload on the rear spring...I may need to do this...

Uh oh.

Prepare for battle - your girlfriend is going to murder you bro. Girlfriend NEEDS TO BE THE FIRST ONE ON THE BIKE.

Believe me.

Might want to bump up the preload on the rear spring depending on how much your passenger weighs. Otherwise the bike will sag a lot in the rear and completely throw off the dynamics.

hmmm...all the chicks i take on the bike i can barely tell they are back there:cool:

Uh oh.

Prepare for battle - your girlfriend is going to murder you bro. Girlfriend NEEDS TO BE THE FIRST ONE ON THE BIKE.

Believe me.

Oh no, I told my girl I want to take her first...but she won't go. This other girl is like her best friend, and she's actually the girl that introduced us. My girl will actually be there when this happens. But dammit if I'm not miffed about the situation lol.

of course I'm on the 1100, so maybe it's more noticeable on a 6... :dunno:

Lol, you're like the sixth person to say that. The Aprilia is a 1000cc V. Power is not the issue. My suspension however was designed for 150lb race jockeys in mind. Doh! So whenever I put another person on the bike it gets all out of whack.

hmmm...all the chicks i take on the bike i can barely tell they are back there:cool:

Lol. I see where you went there. I've had a 115lb girl up to a 170 lb girl on the back. Obviously its different at both ends of the spectrum but the bike isn't happy either way.

Lol, you're like the sixth person to say that. The Aprilia is a 1000cc V. Power is not the issue. My suspension however was designed for 150lb race jockeys in mind. Doh! So whenever I put another person on the bike it gets all out of whack.

wasn't referring to the ape...was considering the askers kawi...;)

work out some kind of sign language so she can let you know if she is skeered/has to pee/whatever. also tell her how you ride so she knows what to expect. I usually ride slow anyway and slower with a passenger, but I let them know if my ass comes off the seat, sight-seeing is over get some weight on the pegs cause something is in the way, corner a little tighter than expected etc. You get the idea. Scaring them can make for a very long uncomfortable ride home for both of you.

Would any of you ever ride a dewd as a passenger?

hahahaha, you mean back before ghey was invented?

yeah, two dudes meant nothing...

oh, and up the tire pressure for two up riding.

It's a load rating thing, you know...

and take it easy, till you both understand what it is you are doing.

mostly because it's a two pilot thing, you are both riding/ driving/ in control.

there are some guide lines on the internet, on good how to ride two up basics.

Edited by ReconRat

Would any of you ever ride a dewd as a passenger?

one of my friends didn't believe me when I gave him the "its dangerous, you'll kill yourself, its too much power" speech... so I took him for a ride. He believes me now

one of my friends didn't believe me when I gave him the "its dangerous, you'll kill yourself, its too much power" speech... so I took him for a ride. He believes me now

I did that for a friend, to a point, but he was in his car and I was on my bike on an entrance ramp (2-lane).

Told him to go for it (he's got some sort of Nissan that he fondly believes is quick) and waited for a few seconds, and then annihilated him and was riding hand on hip waiting for him while he merged over.

He knows my bike isn't one of the fast ones, too.

I've had my two best guy friends ride before with me

and its not like they're putting their arms around me or anything

My other friends give me shit for it but idc

Nothing wrong with giving a friend a ride

and its ok unless the balls are touching right?