Riding With a Passenger

Bigbird

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my 2 cents...

make sure they let you know before they mount or dismount..a tap on the shoulder works..the sudden shift in weight can throw you off..if your not exactly ready for it..

but on your bike, how far could it fall? you drag hard parts at 3 degrees :p

I'm waiting for the pic from the parade for dudes on bikes together......

Like everyone else said, as long the passenger doesn't put their feet down and leans with you, it will be fine.

Allow some extra braking time.

Shift smoothly so you don't crack helmets.

Expect sluggish performance.

Don't try to ride balls out, just take it easy, remember there is another life at risk.

Oh, and ride the girlfriend first if it's a serious relationship, unless the first passenger is your mom, she'll never let it go.

Yup. The last (and as far as I'm concerned only) time I rode with my husband on his VTX we cracked helmets a couple of times.

I also had pains in my arms from reaching down to try and hold onto his waist.

Now I don't have that problem anymore.. it's called I RIDE MY OWN! :)

I think it has a lot to do with the size and layout of the bike- my wife rides with me all the time, and I never really have a problem. She just leans back on the backrest with her hands on her legs. She moves around a fair bit, but its rarely enough to affect the steering or anything.

She did headbutt me once, when a car cut us off and I had to lock it up, but we both have pretty solid skulls.

I had the hardest time with my current girlfriend as a passenger. She said she knew how to ride already but when I took her on a ride, every curve we approached, she would lean before we got there causing me to re-adjust. I put up with it for a few rides and then I tried to explain to her (talk#2) not to do it..... well then she sorta did the opposite, she tried to stay upright even though the bike was leaning.... just as bad...... Talk #3..... I asked her to just stay in line with bike, do nothing...... and I asked her to do the hands on the tank thing..... that is SO much better. It gets her center of gravity down some and keeps her still. I had no idea it would be so hard for some people...... Good luck and be careful.

my 2 cents...

make sure they let you know before they mount or dismount..a tap on the shoulder works..the sudden shift in weight can throw you off..if your not exactly ready for it..

Like everyone else said, as long the passenger doesn't put their feet down and leans with you, it will be fine.

Allow some extra braking time.

Expect sluggish performance.

Don't try to ride balls out, just take it easy, remember there is another life at risk.

Some good tips above.

After she leaned the wrong way and then too far the right way and then put her foot down at a light. I told my girl to pretend she was a sack of potatoes, don't lean, don't help, just sit there and hold on.

So, after the fight about me calling her a sack of potatoes....

Anyway, once she got the idea of it all she was great on the back.

Yes you have to think ahead a bit more, look a little farther down the street but no biggie.

Thanks for the info guys. How do I bump up the preload on the rear spring...I may need to do this...

From the closest tech page I could find for the Ninja R6. On top of the rear spring there should be a 2 collars that are locked against the spring. By tightening it against the spring you will increase the preload. It may be necessary to jack the rear tire off the ground to do this. Hope that helps and enjoy your ride.:)

hell i get my girl on ,ine all the time the only difference is it seems harder to balance the bike when ur stopped.....but u get used to after awhile and when ur not riding with 2 ppl u'll notice the bikes alot lighter idk maybe it's just a mental thing with me

this is what i tell them;

shutup, sit down, and hold on......

now seriously; i think the best advise , besides what was said before, i'm alwasys COMPLETELY ready to go

( helmet, glasses, gloves etc.) and on bike before she gets on, and make them stepup onto the peg and then swing their leg over.

Thanks for all the words of wisdom guys! The rides went well, my one friend was a little shaky, but that was just up the road and back. But my girlfriend was awesome. I barely even noticed her back there. Only had one kinda hairy situation...but I won't get into that. My girlfriend and I went down 71, to 270W, to 315 north up to Delaware. Turned back on 23, and went back through Lewis Center to Alum Creek. I'll be up in Toledo visiting her this weekend, and hopefully the weather holds out and we can get some more seat time in.