need help with brake instal

e-flores

so heres my issue, since the day i got my bike by front brakes have rubbed my rotors. not in a terrible way its just to the point i can here them rub when i roll the bike back and forth. i have talked to a few people and they said it was normal and dont worry about it. i have met other people with 600rr's with the same problem and those with out the problem so i know i can fix it somehow, and i am installing new brakes later today and i was wondering if any of you guys would be able to tell me how to solve this problem while i am there working on the brakes to begin with.

thanks for the help

"High performance pads" are high performance because they offer a greater level of friction over stock pads, so some additional rolling resistance is to be expected. However make sure that your caliper pistons move evenly and are very clean. (There is some debate about different brake cleaners and their potential effects on caliper piston seals.) If the pistons move evenly and retract smoothly then you are on the right path.

If there is any air in your lines, additional dragging can be experienced at faster paces. Reason being is the heat will transfer to calipers and fluid causing the air to expand and the pistons to move outward.

the pads and rotors have only a couple thousandths of an inch clearance when they are not being used. As the pads are not a perfectly smooth material, they cause the rotor to have a imperfect surface as well. What you are hearing is the highest points of the pads and rotors rubbing together- this IS NORMAL. you can't "fix" it. There is no way to increase the distance that the caliper pistons return when you release the brakes.

Describe "rubs" please. If it's causing resistance that you can feel while riding, then you have something wrong.

its not causing resistance at all, i can just hear them rubbing. like i said i have met people with the same issue and people without it. i really wasnt all to concerned i just wanted to know if there was any way i could make them stop doing it... if they keep rubbing i can live with it.

Mine always rubbed before, after I changed pads and lines last time I haven't heard it? maybe I'm not listening for it either cause its normal but maybe it will go away probably wont but there isnt anything wrong with it. I guess if it really bothers you you could take a c clamp to the calipers every time you park it, just make sure to give it a couple good pumps though when you start rolling ;)

Mine always rubbed before, after I changed pads and lines last time I haven't heard it? maybe I'm not listening for it either cause its normal but maybe it will go away probably wont but there isnt anything wrong with it. I guess if it really bothers you you could take a c clamp to the calipers every time you park it, just make sure to give it a couple good pumps though when you start rolling ;)

Sounds like a plan ;)

I don't think it should be audible while rolling E. If it's up on the stand and you hear it drag, that would be within expectations, but not while the motor is on and riding.

I cleaned my calipers with brake cleaner and the pistons wouldn't retract for shit after. Spun the wheel on the stand and it wouldn't go more than 1 revolution. I swapped calipers and now it'll spin ~3 times before stopping.

Again, if you can hear it while riding, I'd say you have a bit of an issue.

I don't think it should be audible while rolling E. If it's up on the stand and you hear it drag, that would be within expectations, but not while the motor is on and riding.

I cleaned my calipers with brake cleaner and the pistons wouldn't retract for shit after. Spun the wheel on the stand and it wouldn't go more than 1 revolution. I swapped calipers and now it'll spin ~3 times before stopping.

exactly... when in doubt, get it up in the air and spin the wheel.

It either spins freely or it doesn't.

i cant hear it while riding only when pushing the bike. so i am good i was just wondering if there was a special remedy to fix the hissing noise.

but thanks for looking out!

one thing to add... personally when i change pads i try to resist the temptation to just put in the pads and go. i like to take the caliper off, take the pistons out and make sure everything is nice and clean then reassemble. i know its not totally necessary, and it takes a little longer, but its good preventative maintenance. brakes are important. try to keep them in as best shape as you can. keep dirt out of the seals, piston etc.

one thing to add... personally when i change pads i try to resist the temptation to just put in the pads and go. i like to take the caliper off, take the pistons out and make sure everything is nice and clean then reassemble. i know its not totally necessary, and it takes a little longer, but its good preventative maintenance. brakes are important. try to keep them in as best shape as you can. keep dirt out of the seals, piston etc.

I don't typically take the pistons out. I do pump the brakes a bit to push the pistons out enough that I can get some brake cleaner and scotchbrite in to clean off the surface dirt that has accumulated on them though.

I don't typically take the pistons out. I do pump the brakes a bit to push the pistons out enough that I can get some brake cleaner and scotchbrite in to clean off the surface dirt that has accumulated on them though.

Both are good ideas. I've done both with my last two bikes.

As John said..brakes are important. You don't want to find out you have a problem on the road.

Both are good ideas. I've done both with my last two bikes.

As John said..brakes are important. You don't want to find out you have a problem on the road.

or at the track where these bad boys will be tested out...

i will do all the cleaning i can for sure! thanks for the help everyone!

ive done that before too. personally i like to take em out so i can inspect them and make sure they are gravy.