Putting straight bars on my Shadow

Aerik

After talking to some of the other guys about it last night, I figured I'd post on here and see if anyone has any ideas/ advice/ opinions.

The handlebars on my Shadow are really obnoxious-- they're set up great for someone with normal arms. I, on the other hand, have extremely long orangutan arms, so there's waaaaay too much pullback for me.

When I ride the damned thing, the only way I can get comfortable is to lean back like I'm doin the rockaway. It's irritating, looks funny, and makes my back hurt. So, I want to put straight bars or drag bars on it, so I can sit more normally with the bars at a more comfortable spot.

The problem is this: Putting straight bars on with the current risers would have them hitting the tank. So, I need to figure out how to get the things up higher. I don't mind blocking the lights some (you can see what I mean in the pics), but I don't wanna spend a bunch of money on risers that still won't work with straight bars.

I'm hoping someone on here has some experience with this kind of situation and might give me some advice.

Pics below, to try and show what I'm working with (may not be helpful at all).

picture.php?albumid=609&pictureid=6298

picture.php?albumid=609&pictureid=6297

Thanks any and all for your help.

Did you get straight risers, or were they curved at all (kinda hard to see on your avatar pic)? I'm just trying to figure out what I should be looking for. A lot of the aftermarket risers I've seen so far have so much pullback it would be almost as bad as having the current bars.

Did you get straight risers, or were they curved at all (kinda hard to see on your avatar pic)? I'm just trying to figure out what I should be looking for. A lot of the aftermarket risers I've seen so far have so much pullback it would be almost as bad as having the current bars.

do you not see the photo the size of Quebec i put in my post? lol

Ah, I see. Hmm, I guess I'll have to start hunting for straight(ish) risers.

Sorry, my browser was going all retarded and the pic didn't show up at first. Either that, or I'm off my meds again!

Edited by Aerik

I keep getting confused, I assume by straight bars you mean drag bars right?

I keep picturing you putting on a metal pipe and being done with it.

That would be some custom shit right thurr! Actually, if I understand the terminology right, drag bars are slightly swept back, like a wide V, whereas straight bars are actually straigh(ish). Either would probably work for me, just depending on what becomes available for how much.

It's just through mental laziness that I keep interchanging the terms.

Stock risers are almost always too short for drag bars, ebay always has risers, just about any company works, the parts are almost universal.

Let me know what you find in terms of bars and risers, I'm debating doing the same.

straight bars are great if you ride aggresive all the time.....other than that, they can have them. when i wan't to sit back and cruise; there's nothing like the pull-back.

Yah that's why I'm not sure I want to make the switch.... but I do want a little less angle on my grips. More perpendicular to the bike.

Yeah, but the problem for me is that the pullbacks are damned uncomfortable. I'm still hunting around online pricing risers, haven't found anything really good that might work on my bike yet. Everything is all OMGCHROME! and therefore overpriced. What's a guy gotta do to get some damned plain hunks of metal?

I'll keep on looking.

You're right, they have great prices, but none of their handlebar stuff looks like it'd fit on my bike- it's all Harley stuff. The one-piece drag bars they had looked great, but the risers were 3.5 inches apart, and mine are 4. It'd be fine if they were separate, so I could just adjust them, but oh well.

I'll keep on looking.

You're right, they have great prices, but none of their handlebar stuff looks like it'd fit on my bike- it's all Harley stuff. The one-piece drag bars they had looked great, but the risers were 3.5 inches apart, and mine are 4. It'd be fine if they were separate, so I could just adjust them, but oh well.

I'll keep on looking.

Ouch... my friend just took off some 6" risers... not very pretty but I can find out what he'd sell them for if you want.

Couple of choices here.

Turn your current risers around. Sounds crazy, looks goofy as heck but it works on that bike.

Scootworks has some, and in black if you want it that way:

http://www.scootworks.com/shop.cgi/page=partshonhandle.htm/SID=PUT_SID_HERE

These people make an extension that sits on your current risers, but might not be what you want, they will raise it but also move it back towards you more. It is a cheaper way to go.

http://www.chenzohs.com/?page_id=13

Another option is to drill out your bushings to 1/2 inch and get some cheap used harley risers.

Edited by Tonik

Yeah, if I can't find any taller risers in my price range, I'll definitely try the reverse thing too. Then all I'd need was any old 1-inch bar. Hmm

Also, thanks for the link. I'll keep them in mind too.

Yep, but finding drag bars that are wide enough on ebay has been a bit elusive at the moment. I think I'ma go to the hardware store tomorrow and buy some heavy 1-inch pipe and a can of gloss black krylon. I'll try that and see if I like it while I keep looking for drag bars. In this house, the motto is 'semper gumby'!

(always flexible)

We're also building an upper bearing race out of a brass doorstop for my buddy's Triumph.

Duct-tape customs, baby!

Edited by Aerik