CCW Application Process Times and Review

Likwid

I saw this on the OhioCCWForums, but I'd rather read a quick review here from people I know than over there from a bunch of strangers.

I plan on submitting to Summit County tomorrow, they have good hours, take cash, no appointment. Anyone have experience?

Also, anyone have good experience with particular counties in Ohio? I've heard good things about Mercer County for non resident applications (PA and OH cover almost all states through reciprocity agreements)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

montgomery county sucked, it took like 6 weeks to get mine back... but I submitted my application like the day after Obama was elected and people were freaking out and the lines to submit apps were crazy. They also charge you an extra 5 bucks for the picture on top of the app even if you bring your own photo on your app. I've heard that the wait times now are like 2 weeks or so... especially in smaller population counties. I'm not sure what its like in other counties, but here you could only go certain days of the week (like tues/thursday?), so keep that in mind too. Goodluck!

I called for an appt on 8/10, took the earliest one available on 8/19... Lorain county takes Cashiers checks or Money orders only.

We'll see how it goes on the 19th.

Why not Medina or somewhere else? No rush I guess?

If Cleave and IP's experience are the same as what mine will be I'll have my license before you get in for your appointment.... that's kind of crappy unless they give it to you on the spot

They won't... and my girl told me today she talked with the neighbor who heard some other people were dicked around with by the Lorain country sheriff, so he's going to Medina to do it.

So, we'll see...

Definitely, we shall see my friend, we shall see!

Let me know when you pick up your Bersa! :)

Went to Gander Mountain today... they didn't have one. The PT145 felt ok (not a fan of the grip). They had plenty of pink .380 ACPs for the woman though :rolleyes:

Next step is to call B&T in Lorain to see if they have any Bersas.

GL, I'm surprised you didn't buy the one at the range on Sunday, both the Bersa and the Pink gun she liked :)

By all means, rail away... I'd like some input from people who've actually fired them. I can't find anything but good reviews on them online, which is strange - because I specifically look for the bad. I'm looking for the best .45 CCW I can get for no more than $500-ish

By all means, rail away... I'd like some input from people who've actually fired them. I can't find anything but good reviews on them online, which is strange - because I specifically look for the bad. I'm looking for the best .45 CCW I can get for no more than $500-ish

Don't talk to Wheezle then... he'll have you carrying a 1911... but in all serious, $500 is PLENTY to buy a very nice gun..., make sure to check out Ohioccwforums.com , they have tons of people selling and most seem to be really good people.

I bought (pending tomorrow) my XD from a CCW instructor in Mentor who is coming my way so he said he'll stop nearby so I can check it out and deal with this face to face.

$500 is a ceiling, if I can get out for less and it's a quality gun, then I'd jump on it (like I said, I'm not a money tree)... I've got $1000+ already wrapped up in my other two babies. I don't need that many handguns, but I wanted a .45 so I can have all the "good" calibers covered (.357 mag, .357 sig, 40 S&W, then the .45 ACP). I'll get a 9mm and a .380 later... but I'm not too keen on those calibers.

You won't find me taking digs at a Bersa. My wife carries the .380 and it's a fine weapon. I'd buy one if I were in the market. I've never fired their larger caliber weapons before but can't imagine the results would vary too much.

However' date=' if your budget is $500 you might want to rethink that choice. A Bersa is a good gun, but a much nicer and higher quality weapon can be had for that kind of money. I paid $550 for my Springfield XD forty-five and wish I still had it. I think the S&W M&Ps are close to that dollar amount, as well.

$500 will get you a decent gun if you do some leg work. If we were talking $250-300, I'd say go with a Bersa.. but we aren't.[/quote']

Riverside Range in cuyahoga falls will sell you an SW MP 9MM for 450.

I'm glad to hear another raving review for the XDs, I was initially concerned about carrying a 9mm but I've heard a lot of opinions on both sides and I get the sense most of the "it's not enough" stem from alternative motives.

@JRM, here you go.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/14309

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/54589

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/13284

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/49676

Lots of options for very good prices!

Actually, a buddy of mine has a little Bersa .380 and he's never had any trouble with it. I've fired it a bit at the range, and it seemed like a fairly solid little piece.

That said, I love my Glocknade 17.

(patiently waits for gun snobs jumping at the opportunity to rail on the Bersa...)

If you really want the gun snobs to show up, I should be able to help bring them out:

Goddamn I love my Mosin-Nagant! I can punch a fist-size hole in a man and set his clothes on fire from 50 yards away!

Fuck all that over-engineered modern shite! You can't clean an AR-15 in the field by pissing down the bore! And it makes a shitty melee weapon! After I put all five rounds through my Nugget, I can still use my other arm to bayonet fuckers all day!

Heh. If they don't show up after that, there aren't any gun snobs on OR. :cool:

@ Likwid, I've seen the "Compact M&P" and it's not much smaller than the full size M&P I already have. I'm a little disappointed they aren't smaller.

Maybe I meant to say I wanted an ultra compact .45.

Oh gotcha. I think it's time to go shooting :)