Paralyzed from the chest down

Bkizz

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am hoping to see the bike today and snap some pics. I left a voice mail with Brian's sister yesterday so as soon as I hear back from here Lance (wheezle) and I are going to go get an assesment of the damage and hopefully remove the scratched and damaged fairings. If you are able to help fix the cracked fairings then you help would be very appreciated

just shoot some pics over my way. most likely ill be able to fix them.

Your attitude in this situation is amazing. I doubt I could be so strong in the same case. I saw that you are thinking about selling your bike. I can help you with that, but I would hold off. WHEN you get better, you are going to want to get back on it. If there is ANYTHING I can do for you, please do not hesitate to give me a call.

Thanks for everything guys. I just got off the phone with my sisterd BF Larry who currently has the bike. He spent a bunch of time cleaning it up to see what really needed to be replaced. He found out I only need the front upper and lower plastics, a turn signal and a tail piece. The front plastics are practically ground through and can't just be painted. The tail could probably be fixed but its only $40 so I will just buy a new one with the other plastics. Really, as far as repairs I trust he has it covered. The only thing I really need to do is sell it. Thanks to all that have offered to go over to his place though.

I agree, I need to work on getting better and not worrying. I've just finally gotten off of some of those strong drugs and reality has been setting in. It's scary but I can do this.

You are an inspiration! Keep strong man! I believe God has a plan for you, as well as the rest of us! Don't look down because of what has happened, there IS an opportunity in here for you!!!

Hey brian it was great to see you in such good spirits today man.... as I said before you give me a shout if you need help with anything in the house to get it ready for sale and if you need anything else.... OK brotha???

Second that! Anything at all, man. Stay in touch on the forum, too.

Hope: http://www.physorg.com/news172672409.html

Scientists make paralyzed rats walk again after spinal-cord injury

September 20th, 2009

rat_image.jpg

UCLA researchers have discovered that a combination of drugs, electrical stimulation and regular exercise can enable paralyzed rats to walk and even run again while supporting their full weight on a treadmill.

Published Nov. 20 in the online edition of Nature Neuroscience, the findings suggest that the regeneration of severed nerve fibers is not required for paraplegic rats to learn to walk again. The finding may hold implications for human rehabilitation after spinal cord injuries.

"The spinal cord contains nerve circuits that can generate rhythmic activity without input from the brain to drive the hind leg muscles in a way that resembles walking called 'stepping,'" explained principal investigator Reggie Edgerton, a professor of neurobiology and physiological sciences at the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA.

"Previous studies have tried to tap into this circuitry to help victims of spinal cord injury," he added. "While other researchers have elicited similar leg movements in people with complete spinal injuries, they have not achieved full weight-bearing and sustained stepping as we have in our study."

Edgerton's team tested rats with complete spinal injuries that left no voluntary movement in their hind legs. After setting the paralyzed rats on a moving treadmill belt, the scientists administered drugs that act on the neurotransmitter serotonin and applied low levels of electrical currents to the spinal cord below the point of injury.

The combination of stimulation and sensation derived from the rats' limbs moving on a treadmill belt triggered the spinal rhythm-generating circuitry and prompted walking motion in the rats' paralyzed hind legs.

Daily treadmill training over several weeks eventually enabled the rats to regain full weight-bearing walking, including backwards, sideways and at running speed. However, the injury still interrupted the brain's connection to the spinal cord-based rhythmic walking circuitry, leaving the rats unable to walk of their own accord.

Neuro-prosthetic devices may bridge human spinal cord injuries to some extent, however, so activating the spinal cord rhythmic circuitry as the UCLA team did may help in rehabilitation after spinal cord injuries.

Source: University of California - Los Angeles

Man, physical therapy has really been kicking my ass lately and I hardly ever have the time (or energy) to get online these days. I just thought I'd give all you boys an update. I've been learing a ton here at Dodd and can get in and out of my wheelchair fairly well now. Today we focused on getting in and out of a car because I am dead set on getting the hell out of here for awhile this weekend! The doctors set my discharge date of October 7th so I will be heading home. But the best news of all is I have a place to go. Many of you know I couldn't go back to my 3 level condo and my other options wern't looking good. Anyway, my step dad has been trying to sell his condo in Dublin for a while and decided to take it off the market so I can live there for the time being. It has a full bath and beadroom on the first floor too!!!!! Best part is its rent free (thank god) since I still have my mortgage and a ton of other shit to pay for. That was the best news b/c I was really stressing about where to go.

Man, physical therapy has really been kicking my ass lately and I hardly ever have the time (or energy) to get online these days. I just thought I'd give all you boys an update. I've been learing a ton here at Dodd and can get in and out of my wheelchair fairly well now. Today we focused on getting in and out of a car because I am dead set on getting the hell out of here for awhile this weekend! The doctors set my discharge date of October 7th so I will be heading home. But the best news of all is I have a place to go. Many of you know I couldn't go back to my 3 level condo and my other options wern't looking good. Anyway, my step dad has been trying to sell his condo in Dublin for a while and decided to take it off the market so I can live there for the time being. It has a full bath and beadroom on the first floor too!!!!! Best part is its rent free (thank god) since I still have my mortgage and a ton of other shit to pay for. That was the best news b/c I was really stressing about where to go.

im in hilliard.. hollar at me if you need anything