10 injured in multiple-motorcycle crash

Strictly Street

http://www.katu.com/news/59789107.html

A quote from the article:

Oregon State Police said the motorcyclists were riding in standard formation – two columns – when traffic ahead slowed suddenly. The two lead motorcyclists were able to avoid a collision by maneuvering clear of the stopped traffic, but the rest of the motorcyclists could not stop in time, causing a chain-reaction of crashes with the rest of the group.
“I know some people say they must be up to no good: They were racing or doing something. But anyone who’s familiar with Harley-riding knows you don’t race a Harley, you don’t do tricks on your Harley. You just ride,” she said.

Following distance might have been a factor, ya think?

I believe the staggered formation is much better, even so extra room is nice.

Is it wrong that this news article makes me laugh? "you don't do tricks' date=' you don't race" or pay any attention, apparently. :lol:[/quote']

is this what you were referring to?

“I know some people say they must be up to no good: They were racing or doing something. But anyone who’s familiar with Harley-riding knows you don’t race a Harley, you don’t do tricks on your Harley. You just ride,”

Can you do much else on a harley? :confused:

Is it wrong that this news article makes me laugh? "you don't do tricks' date=' you don't race" or pay any attention, apparently. :lol:[/quote']

No racin', no tricks....we just ride to bars and drink all day then ride like cunts in slow assed parade.

Natural selection at work.

Is it wrong that this makes you laugh? You have to ask? Same thing would have happend if they were on sport bikes, so stop the hating!

well most sport bikes are about half the curb weight of a HD and since most sport bikes have two disc brakes up front... they might have been able to stop sooner? :D I'll quit hatin on you HD riders, my parents ride harleys and I tease them enough

Staggered formation, stretched or compressed based on speed, road conditions, and traffic. Riding two abreast is only really acceptable at very low speed. You can't swerve around that bottomless pothole if you've got another bike at your elbow.

I keep getting this image in my head, of a group of bikes, the type that generally use back brake and never the front, with everyones feet up on the highway pegs... and one after another, they all think --> oh, wait, brakes!, THUMP!

I'll probably have nightmares tonight now...

Is it wrong that this makes you laugh? You have to ask? Same thing would have happend if they were on sport bikes, so stop the hating!

Says the guy with the GIANT handlebars on the bike (yeah, those not only LOOK cool, but they give you excellent control over your 800 lb bike) :rolleyes:

I'm guessing it went something like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZFpIpaFMlc

Oh yeah, I giggled when I read it too...

I found this article

WILSONVILLE -- Members of the Brother Speed outlaw motorcycle club rolled into a bloody 26-bike crash on Interstate 5 north Friday afternoon, south of Wilsonville.

"When we arrived on scene, it was ordered mayhem," said Lt. Mike Towner of Tualatin Valley Fire & Rescue. "There were ... two dozen motorcycles scattered across the freeway."

Two bikers with critical injuries were flown by LifeFlight helicopter to Legacy Emanuel Hospital & Health Center and OHSU Hospital in Portland. Seven other crash victims with less serious injuries were taken by ambulance.

Northbound lanes at Milepost 282, near the Baldock Rest Area, were shut down at 2:45 p.m., then remained closed for more than an hour, backing up traffic for more than seven miles. Southbound traffic also experienced delays.

The bikers were heading north to take part in the Portland chapter's annual birthday bash and a weekend demolition derby, according to one law enforcement official.

Lt. Gregg Hastings, Oregon State Police spokesman, said 26 motorcycles were traveling north in the left lane, following a car, when traffic ahead began slowing. The car and the bikers all tried to slow down, but collided, piling up on the road. A vehicle in the middle northbound lane was reportedly struck by one of the motorcycles, Hastings said.

State troopers rushed to the crash scene, along with crews from the Oregon Department of Transportation, Tualatin Valley Fire & Rescue, American Medical Response and fire departments from Canby, Aurora and St. Paul.

Karen Eubanks, TVF&R spokeswoman, said seven crash victims were treated for shoulder and hip injuries and broken bones. Two others were treated but refused to go to a hospital.

Police estimate membership of the Brother Speed Motorcycle Club at more than 100 in Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Montana and Utah. The club, founded in 1969, is one of six in Oregon identified by the state Department of Justice as an outlaw biker gang.

Members of the club wear black and gold colors that depict a grinning, winged skull wearing a helmet and motorcycle goggles. The bulk of the club's Oregon membership meets at clubhouses in Portland and Hillsboro, according to law enforcement sources.

"BROTHER SPEED M/C is a club that is serious about brotherhood, respect, riding fast and building choppers," the club writes on its Oregon Web site.

For online updates, visit tripcheck.com.

-- Rick Bella; rickbella@news.oregonian.com

Looks like they got a head start on the demolition derby to me. Just ask any Harley rider and they will tell you " Never use the front brake,, it will toss you over the bars"

"BROTHER SPEED M/C is a club that is serious about brotherhood, respect, riding fast and building choppers," the club writes on its Oregon Web site.

OOohhhh...they're "serious" about riding fast AND building choppers....:lol:

Looks like they got a head start on the demolition derby to me. Just ask any Harley rider and they will tell you " Never use the front brake,, it will toss you over the bars"

That's why they have those big giant bars....keeps 'em from getting thrown over. :D

No racin', no tricks....we just ride to bars and drink all day then ride like cunts in slow assed parade.

Natural selection at work.

bwahahaha! couldn't have said it better myself :lol:

"BROTHER SPEED M/C is a club that is serious about brotherhood, respect, riding fast, dealing drugs, and building choppers," the club writes on its Oregon Web site.

Why else would the DOJ be watching them. Dumbasses.

Also, Harley, our brakes may be made by Brembo. But we definitely cheaped out...