My issue with LoJack

Likwid

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im sorry if i had one. i would know what it looks like in the matter of mins. i tear my bike apart all the time just to check over things. and one that wants to know what they look like just pay to have one installed on my bike and ill tear my bike down in the shops drive way and show it to ya... :)

Like I already said - I have been burned enough times by supposedly "professional" mechanic/techs doing a crappy job that it's made me unable to trust the vast majority of professionals who take pride in their work.

Anyone who knows me or my car will know why I struggle to trust my vehicle with a tech without me keeping an eye on it.

It's not a commentary on any tech I haven't met. It's just about the risk to my and my family created by those few people I've caught doing crappy work in safety critical areas, joyriding the vehicle etc.

I know there's no way to word this without insulting the good techs out there, so I give up trying to word it nicely and just ask that you understand that that's not my intention.

Edited by Scruit

If one is installed on any 01-07 gsxr 600/750 i could find it in a second! I have faith in lo-jack because they caught the guy with my computer within a week or so.

One question i have for the lo-jack guy is who gets the info on where the missing bike is? When my computer got stolen the lo-jack people wouldnt tell me where it is,they would only tell police.(my comp had a online gps) So they knew where it was,but wouldnt tell me.

Lo-jack works!

the cops do. it sends out a signal to a lojack receiver which is installed in their cruiser.

however, the only way that works is if the cops actually have it in their cruiser. most places probably do, especially if its a town of any real size... but once you get out to west bumblefuck you may not be so lucky.

Lojack for Laptops is a fundamentally different concept than lojack for cars/bikes. Chalk and cheese.

Lojack for laptops (LFL) is software (with BIOS hooks in some laptops). It communicates via the internet with LFL HQ and identifies the IP address that the computer is connecting to the internet with (or the closest NAT, at least). LFL then has to track the IP down using subpoenas etc until they find the physical address, after which they direct the police there.

LFL is embedded in the BIOS of new Dell laptops. It will survive reinstalling the OS, formatting the HD and even installing a new HD. I tested this recently when I formatted my HD and installed XP in place of Pis.. I mean Vista. I did nothing with the LFL install, didn't try to finx it or reinstall it or anything. 3 days laster I checked the LFL website to make sure my laptop was still doing it's daily "Phone Home". Yes, it was. Just as their advertising states, their software DID survive a format and install of a new/different OS on my computer.

There are plenty of what-ifs as with any situation, but if you at the record here in Ohio - 100% recovery rate and with Ohio being in the top ten of bike thefs and one of the Top states for motorcycle licenses and registrations, with all of this I truly believe in Lojack

I'm guessing by the way that you're indorsing LoJack so much that YOU have one as well. You're trying to get everybody else to invest in one (probably for the sales of the company you work for, which is cool) but if it's really that great of a product then I'm assuming you have one installed on your bike also? Oh and, since you work there were you aloud to see it's placement on the bike?

One question i have for the lo-jack guy is who gets the info on where the missing bike is? When my computer got stolen the lo-jack people wouldnt tell me where it is,they would only tell police.(my comp had a online gps) So they knew where it was,but wouldnt tell me.

Why would they tell you where your stolen goods were at? The law doesn't want you becoming a vigilante and taking your vengence out by doing drive-bys. If you knew who had it and where, what makes you think you could stay away while the coppers took their sweet time in getting it back? Ignorance is bliss, bro.

Why would they tell you where your stolen goods were at? The law doesn't want you becoming a vigilante and taking your vengence out by doing drive-bys. If you knew who had it and where, what makes you think you could stay away while the coppers took their sweet time in getting it back? Ignorance is bliss, bro.

OJ Simpson what?

Speaking of vigilante-ism... anyone see the scripts and programs that let you have your MacBook (with the built in camera) to grab pictures and post them to Flickr if you activate a "stolen" code?

IE, I set my laptop to go out to my website and look for 8sdfu9shdf.txt if that file contains the word "Stolen" in it activate the webcam and post pictures every 1 hour with a geolocation stamp

It's a cool program, I've setup scripts a long time ago that would wipe my harddrive if it found a keyword in a file on my webhost... but I realized it wasn't really needed lol

Lets just say i was in the neiborhood(alabama)at a funeral with about 100 pissed off people who just lost their friend then came out to a parking lot of robbed cars. I think the legal system could have let us handle JUST THIS ONE .

DO you seriously think that the Owner of the bike in doing work on his opwn bike wont find said unit?

I mean I dismantle my bike myself for a lot of reasons.....What is the problem with the "OWNER" of the bike knowing what he has and where.

I just dont see the point. He paid for it....He owns it....If he wants to see it....SO be it.

I think the point being is that if they let individuals watch a system being installed you could potentially steal someone elses bike using the knowledge gained, if not you or someone you know etc. There are a lot of big mouths out there. As mentioned loactions can vary, Though you may not know the exact location, you would know what the equipment looks like.

Not everyone carries a schematic of their bike in their heads.

Why is everyone beefing over watching the install????? Lojack has a proven system. You guys want to take a proven system and $%^^ with it. Just go ahead and buy another alarm system if you don't like it.

In regards to the insurance deductible vs Lojack argument...

My only comment ... deductible or not.. I don't want to "give" my bike to anyone.. if having a Lojack system allows me to get the ass hole that stole my bike ... awesome..regardless of whether my bike has been paid for or replaced by the insurance companies.

Lojack deterrs theft ..insurance deductibles do not.

I understand them not wanting to let anyone see the install. Try on this scenario:

Thief takes a bike in to have lojack install. He's allowed to watch. Learns about what's involved in the install. Thief uses gained knowledge to thwart lojack on the bikes the said thief steals. Of what use is lojack now?

I agree with all of the people that don't want to leave your bike in the hands of someone else.

Scruit, I can totally understand your concerns with trusting techs to work on your stuff. The are some out there that I wouldn't trust with a tricycle! Fortunately, I think I have the trust of most of our customers that the techs at our shop will do the job to the best of our professional abilities, and that we will not harm their vehicle in any way. Do I drive customers cars harder than they probably do? Most likely. Will I drive a customers car hard enough to do damage? Nope! I drive customer vehicles as though they're my own, actually not as hard as I drive my own. To properly diagnose some (many?) driveability conditions, you HAVE to drive the car somewhat hard. The fastest way to know if the computer is delivering enough fuel is to mash the pedal and look at what the oxygen sensor sees! This doesn't mean to redline the engine, but high RPM's are needed to tell if the MAF sensor is reading the proper amount of airflow. I used all of this on a family member's vehicle about a week ago, to diagnose a stumble while cruising at highway speeds, and hesitation.

Lets just say i was in the neiborhood(alabama)at a funeral with about 100 pissed off people who just lost their friend then came out to a parking lot of robbed cars. I think the legal system could have let us handle JUST THIS ONE .

Sorry, dude. That just isn't how it works. If you're not aware of the times, lynch mobs are illegal nowadays. The fuzz seem to have an issue with that kind of behavior.