State Issue 1: Should Ohio borrow to pay veterans bonuses?

Disclaimer

There's been a lot of talk here on Issue 3 (Gambling)... what are the thoughts on Issue 1?

http://www.wkyc.com/news/local/news_article.aspx?storyid=123090&catid=3

CLEVELAND -- Should budget-crunched Ohio borrow $200 million to pay Mideast conflict era veterans a bonus for their service?

That's the question facing voters Election Day in Ohio Issue 1.

Ohio has traditionally given veterans bonuses for their service. The tradition dates back to World War I.

World War II, Korea, and Vietnam-era veterans also got small "thanks" payments, to show Ohioans' appreciation.

Governor Ted Strickland vetoed a plan to pay bonuses for recent veterans out of the state's rainy day fund. That money got spent for other purposes in Ohio's stressed budget.

Issue 1 is a constitutional amendment. It would authorize the state to borrow about $200 million.

Veterans serving in the Mideast who saw combat would be eligible for $100 monthly payments, up to $1000.

Veterans who served in non-conflict situations would get $50 a month, up to $500.

The families of servicemen and servicewomen killed in the line of duty would get $5,000.

"Nobody is gonna get rich from the amounts. You're just saying 'thank you' to a veteran for their service," said Bob Schloendorn, Executive Director of the Cuyahoga County Veterans Service Commission.

Kelly Woods served more than 11 years in the Navy. She just lost her job as an air traffic controller for a private firm.

She did not know about Issue 1.

A bonus would help her. "Anything right now would help just to put food on the table and pay electric and other bills," she said.

No organized groups have come out against Issue 1. But some question the wisdom of having Ohio sell bonds, borrow more money, and take on more debt.

Art Stone is active with North Olmsted VFW Post 7647. He strongly supports Issue 1.

"People are going to say it's a volunteer army. But these people put their lives on the line for us. I'd give the bonus before some other things we spend money on in Ohio," he said.

Eight other states have passed similar bonus programs.

Abouat 206,000 veterans and families would be eligible for payments. That number increases, the longer Mideast fighting continues.

Strickland's newly-created Cabinet Level Veterans Affairs Department is launching a media campaign to suppport Issue 1.

Estimates of what the program would cost each Ohio taxpayer range from $24 to $50 over 15 years.

^^^ i like unc's thought. I think this a great idea..but at this time i think Ohio needs to decide whether or not this is a necessity. IMO i think its a great gesture but not needed at this exact moment and time. If you have to borrow the money its not a good idea.

this is tough to voice opinions on bc nobody wants to nay say the vets, myself a daughter of a WWII vet and sister to a brother in the Navy. I feel those were choices they made on based on their personal goals, and which ultimately benefitted or effected their life path. not every's experience is good in the military and that is unfortunate, unchosen and can destroy the spirit i suppose. it equally unfortunate that a healthcare disaster completely bringing a family to bankruptcy. i say this understanding ones ills have nothing to do with patriotism, which i am a devout toward as much as the constitution. i guess im saying, no one forces soldiers to sign under duress, and certainly no body acts without their interest in mind, knowing what terms they are going into service with, etc.. i strongly support an effort where it did not involve borrowing money, but rather initiated a change in govt allocated funds, such as pork payments that benefit rediculous lobby efforts, and re-distribute those funds to the vets. sure, then i think that is a fantastic idea.

Just to put this out there and reiterate my earlier point. $200,000,000 would buy a LOT of body armor... I think most veterans would agree with me that you can show your thanks by taking care of the people currently serving.

Just saying :)

It would buy a lot of body armor in the private sector. Do you know how much a government hammer costs? :lol:

How about we tell Strickland to save us all the trouble and bring our Guard home? Should never have signed them over to the Feds to begin with. Stupid asshole. :nono:

Well yah, $200,000,000 would be a lot of money to convince a governor/senator/rep to listen to the people of the state.... but I thought that may come off a little wrong if I suggested that.

The State of Ohio still taxes them while in the service if they continue to claim Ohio residency. One of the few states to do this.

That needs to be fixed, all we are really doing is giving them back their money.

If that's truly the case then I'm all for it. (this year.. fix it before next year)

It is, I helped my kid straighten out his taxes when he got back from Iraq. I went ballistic and emailed/wrote letters all over the place. Not a single State Rep or employee bothered to call me back.

:lol: Wait!! I'll be right back. I've gotta' go find my surprise face.

Actually it was a bit surprising, my state rep is in the reserves and took a leave of absence to serve in Iraq. Young guy, up and coming I would have thought he knew better than to ignore voters on such a no brainer issue.

Josh Mandel if you ever get to vote for his opponent on a ballot.

This, while a worthwhile gesture, is a reflection of just how poorly out service men and women are compensated for the job they perform. If a state which still taxes their native servicemembers while active, regardless of their deployment environment, feels it necessary to provide a bonus to them, then you have evidence of a vastly underpaid colletion of constituents. The military payscale is incredibly disproportionate to the risks they take and the sacrafices the voluntarily make. And before some one says "well, they know that going in", you're right, and they go in anyway. Which makes it all the more shameful that our FEDERAL government along with the states see fit to misappropriate defense and tax funds to where they have to even the ledger with a bonus contingent on the popular vote. And while I think that Likwid's heart and mind is in the right place saying th funds would be better allocated to armour and other necessary provisions, therein lies another conundrum, and one that shouldn't have to be voted on either. Basic operational preparedness is amazingly insufficient in this conflict. Still (back to the matter at hand) in today's economy, those servicemembers' families can most likely use every extra penny they can get, with moms and dads deployed to combat and essentially single parents left behind. Truth is, 99.9% of them are too proud to ask for help they more than likely need and more than deserve. And Lord knows this wonderful state that we live in has been so financially mismanaged that $200 million would he a huge help to schools and infastructure that someone is really wrestling with this idea for the vets, both fiscally and emotionally. And it shouldn't have had to come to that, or a vote.

(Dismounting soapbox now.)

Thank you unc! Trust me, I know how tight things are on Uncle Sam's payroll. Not that the Corps didn't or wouldn't have taken care of me if I needed it, but the times and economy now are much different than when I was in, though I know the pay still does not commensurate with what folks make in the private sector, or with what risk all our uniformed men and women face.